Sign in to follow this  
dezz

Failed goals...

I'll try to keep it short...

Basically I've been going to the gym since I was about 18-19, I'm 25 in a month. I wouldn't really count the first few years as it was very off and on and I had no idea what I was doing...But even then my current dilemma was present...Anyway, over the last couple of years I've gotten more serious, learned more about different programs as well as eating better (most of the time at least).

I'd say I hit my peak at the end of 2009/start of 2010 when my diet was good (as far as leaning up goes) and I was having an awesome pre-season for footy. I was fitter than ever and had a six pack and visible obliques for the first time in my life...

I've always had decent arms, shoulders/traps and back, but the one thing I've NEVER had is a chest. Back when I was starting out, it used to be my least favorite day in the gym, chest day. I could never make any progress, either in weight or visually, so I skimmed over the chest sessions (something which I'm regretting now). Still to this day I HATE my chest, or lack of.

I've tried everything...before I started footy I was going hard, squatting, dead lifting etc, making progress on everything except bench. then I started playing footy, and pulled my left hamstring straight away. I stopped training my legs for pretty much the next 2 years while I played footy. In that time I pulled my right hamstring 3 times. I've now kind of given up on playing football, not just because of injuries (hamstring, glute/lower right back and an achilles to top it all off) but other commitments in life at the moment too. But even when I was doing all the big lifts, my chest still went nowhere. My cardio has taken a massive hit with missing pre-season, and the achillies preventing me from running, so hitting the cross trainer is kind of all I can do at the moment.

I'm squatting again, but can't deadlift with the glute/lower back injury at the moment either. As for benching, I've tried barbell, dumbbell, lowering the weight and increasing the rep range to around 15, increasing the weight and going for 6-8, 10-12 etc...flat bench, incline, decline, db flys, cables, dips, you name it....Nothing works. My weights don't improve and neither does the look of my chest.

So you're probably thinking why the long winded post....I'm posting here in the hope that the guys reading it will know where I'm coming from, because no one else does. Most people think I'm crazy, they can't see it etc, but when you work at a goal for so long, and still fail to achieve it, that's not an easy pill to swallow.

I'm after any GENUINE advice on what I can do about it (if it's even possible...Maybe I'll never have a decent chest?) but I'm willing to try anything to achieve the goal. I've thrown in 2 pictures, the first from a week or so ago just for a reference...my chest doesn't look terrible in the photo, but take it from me it's nothing to write home about. The second is from the start of the year when I dropped a lot of fat through pre-season. In a singlet I look bigger than your average guy, because of my arms and shoulders, but lose the shirt and my lower and middle of my chest is a joke.

So lay it on me, is there anything I can do, or am I stuck with this shit for good? Because it's getting harder and harder to stay motivated when I see absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT.

150231_458528281291_630251291_6089740_7518819_n.jpg

Untitled.jpg

what do you bench atm? like weights and reps

also associating things like flys? I found super setting 17.5kg flys after my 10 reps of what ever bench press or bell presses made a big difference for me

I've never done any 1RM stuff, and not really interested in it either to be honest. Haven't used a barbell for a while but I was around the 80-85kg mark for 6-10 reps depending on the day, and couldn't really push any heavier weight without a spot...

Dumbbells today I did 3 sets of 35kg db's, got about 9 reps first set, 7-8 for the next 2 sets...think the most I've ever done on DB's was 40-42.5kg and probably lower reps around 6...

I've tried dropping the weight to make sure I'm getting the technique right, but I still feel it in the triceps and shoulders more than I think I should be, and not enough in the chest...

Start putting weight overhead with a barbell, push presses, jerks, military presses.

Force your chest to grow.

^^^^ Agreed. I recently ie in the last 2 weeks started incorporating clean & press into my routine, it is bloody hard even pushing tiny weights to start off with. My flat bench while not bumping up weights I have been able to fly through the sets with ease and push 1-2 extra reps out @100kg if I choose to. I haven't felt as alive training in a long time as I have in the past couple weeks, can really feel it hitting the chest/pecs.

Start putting weight overhead with a barbell, push presses, jerks, military presses.

Force your chest to grow.

I was doing military presses, I'll google the others and try adding them in..

I'm lacking the most in the lower chest though, and from about the middle of each pec to the sternum

Also should've mentioned that I try to stay away from exercises that hit the front delts, like military press, because I thought if I keep working on them, they'll get bigger and take even more of the weight off my chest which is something I don't need...

Your chest will only get smaller by not lifting. Being blunt f*ck off the dumb bells and bench with a barbell. It incorporates the pecs far more then a DB bench can. If you aren't comfortable pushing extra weight do an additional set or reps in each set. Then when you can add some weight.

Other then that do some overhead press as advised, I can bench all day if I wanted to but a couple sets into overhead press and I can feel it hitting me hard.

I'll switch back to BB and see how it feels...I switched to DB's in the first place because I never seemed to feel BB bench in the pecs, barely sore the next day etc..

I'll switch back to BB and see how it feels...I switched to DB's in the first place because I never seemed to feel BB bench in the pecs, barely sore the next day etc..

Mate, only until recently have I gone back to bench (only close grip) due to a shoulder injury but previously I could only do DB flys - that's where I got my chest, and compared to the rest of my body, I think my chest is too big (or more to the point, the rest of my body is too small).

Mate, only until recently have I gone back to bench (only close grip) due to a shoulder injury but previously I could only do DB flys - that's where I got my chest, and compared to the rest of my body, I think my chest is too big (or more to the point, the rest of my body is too small).

So you're basically the complete opposite to me..

The thing that pisses me off most is that my arms are probably my best body part, and I do almost no work on them...I'll throw in 2-3 sets of barbell curls at the end of a back session and some dips at the end of a chest session for tris (while still trying to hit the chest a bit).

Maybe I should start doing f**k all on chest and see what happens haha.

I guess I'm looking for people's opinions. Am I genetically doomed to be stuck with my shitty chest, or can I shape/grow it

Am I genetically doomed to be stuck with my shitty chest, or can I shape/grow it

Can it grow hell yes, will it be as big as you want to be probably not. Seriously bench & over head press like the armageddon is coming take measurements and see what happens over 1-2 months. I have the same problem with my calves, they are growing just alot slower then rest of me. For every person craving a big chest they're will be someone bitching about binning clothes they bought a couple months back as they no longer fit into them (About to bin $500-800 worth of business shirts worn like 5-10 times max :unsure: ).

Edited by 7MA61

I'll GLADLY throw out every shirt I own if my chest gets too big to fit into it hahah!

are you logging workouts? its labourious but can give you the motivation to go harder - just improving on the weeks before effort and having a goal to strive for every time your in the gym

sounds like your varying your workout as well - ie rep range, but if your not getting improvement / strength increase, something needs to be adjusted.

Are you in calorie surplus? ie, above your maintainence? its going to be EXTREMELY difficult to add muscle if you are under.

I have the opposite. I have a big chest but small arms.

I bench heavy on wednesdays and bench for reps on sundays. PM m&m on his big bad bench program. Im not sure if he is selling it yet but it works a f**king treat on getting your bench up. If your stronger in bench your chest is going to grow. Oh I also db overhead press on mondays and military press on fridays so I press a lot.

By the way I only did bb bench for the last 1 year and in that time my chest grew the most.

are you logging workouts? its labourious but can give you the motivation to go harder - just improving on the weeks before effort and having a goal to strive for every time your in the gym

sounds like your varying your workout as well - ie rep range, but if your not getting improvement / strength increase, something needs to be adjusted.

Are you in calorie surplus? ie, above your maintainence? its going to be EXTREMELY difficult to add muscle if you are under.

Haven't been counting calories lately, but even when I was in a surplus (before I started playing footy and was just going for big weights in the gym) my chest still never really grew or shaped up any better...I'd settle for better shape, but I'd say there's even less chance of that happening than it growing in size...

The most frustrtaing thing is that I'll see scrawny little pricks with no interest in gym/lifting/putting on size, but you can see the shape of the pecs they'd have if they did get big (even though it'd take them years and a shit load of hard work) but when I see my own chest, I can't see myself ever having that shape no matter what I do or how much hard work I put in...That's enough to stop most people dead in their tracks.

I have the opposite. I have a big chest but small arms.

I bench heavy on wednesdays and bench for reps on sundays. PM m&m on his big bad bench program. Im not sure if he is selling it yet but it works a f**king treat on getting your bench up. If your stronger in bench your chest is going to grow. Oh I also db overhead press on mondays and military press on fridays so I press a lot.

By the way I only did bb bench for the last 1 year and in that time my chest grew the most.

I did try the 2 sessions a week (1 heavy, one for bar speed) after watching some DVD's with Charles Glass talking about building a stronger bench, and still didn't notice any gains!

never bothered to measure my chest, or my arms for about 2 years, but I remember doing it once and they were like 17-18" from memory...

I've always put it down to genetics...And I don't think I'll ever be able to get it to a point that I'm happy with, which is killing my motivation to train at all

Just read his post... At this point anything is worth a try...Looks like I'll be grabbing some 5kg dumbbells and trying to reach 100 reps after my next chest session....I can't see myself making it to 100, but I'll give it a go...

Is there an after shot of him? I'm hoping he's since developed a massive chest...

Just read his post... At this point anything is worth a try...Looks like I'll be grabbing some 5kg dumbbells and trying to reach 100 reps after my next chest session....I can't see myself making it to 100, but I'll give it a go...

Is there an after shot of him? I'm hoping he's since developed a massive chest...

I'm not sure if there is. That's probably the only photo of Fadi on the website.

Gave the 100 reps a go with some 5kg I had lying around, well 5kg + the bars so about 7kg at a guess.... I was doing them on a medicine ball as I don't have a bench at home, managed to get to 50 reps before form was getting pretty loose so I did 2 sets of 50...I'll keep at it and see if I notice any improvement...

Do you do any shoulder work? I just look at your first photo and it looks weird cos your arms are massive but it's like you're missing shoulders, chest, back, legs... The one thing you seem to have going for you though is chest depth, i.e. when you look side on you are not thin like a dinner plate.

post-26150-12917183939182_thumb.jpg

From what I gather from the info you supplied in your first post, you seem to do a lot of high rep sets, i.e. 6-8, 10-12, 15-16 etc. Have you tried working in the

Your phsique has potential, just need to put some bulk on your legs to balence it out and do some overhead pressing and heavy front plate raises to get the shoulders working. And don't forget the rows to balance out all the benching :thumbsup:

Ps. why are you wearing a hat inside? That would drive me insane lol

Do you do any shoulder work? I just look at your first photo and it looks weird cos your arms are massive but it's like you're missing shoulders, chest, back, legs... The one thing you seem to have going for you though is chest depth, i.e. when you look side on you are not thin like a dinner plate.

post-26150-12917183939182_thumb.jpg

From what I gather from the info you supplied in your first post, you seem to do a lot of high rep sets, i.e. 6-8, 10-12, 15-16 etc. Have you tried working in the

Your phsique has potential, just need to put some bulk on your legs to balence it out and do some overhead pressing and heavy front plate raises to get the shoulders working. And don't forget the rows to balance out all the benching :thumbsup:

Ps. why are you wearing a hat inside? That would drive me insane lol

Where do I begin with what you just wrote! That pic must be the most deceptive and incorrect portrayal of me possible!

I've backed off doing front delt work, as imo they are too big for my lack of chest, and only make it look smaller the bigger they get...I was doing standing military press every now and then, but like I said, I cut it back because of the front delts...

Before I go on, I just wanna say that I don't think I'm big (to my mates I am, but when compared to people that work out and have half a clue, I'm nothing special) I just wanted to clear that up so no one takes what I write next as me blowing my own horn.

I've always thought I've had a pretty decent back/traps in comparison to say, my chest...

My legs, as I said in my first post, I stopped working on them when I was playing football as with all the running, I couldn't recover from decent leg sessions in the gym in between training 2-3 nights a week and games on Saturdays... But before I played footy I was up to about 140-150kg squats, 3x6, followed by leg presses with about 420kg 3x10, lunges, calves and hamstrings after that. So I was smashing my legs, to the point I was as close to vomiting as I could be without actually vomiting..Anyway, I know that photo doesn't show it, but my legs did keep some of their size over that 2 or so years where I didn't touch them in the gym...I've started to get back into it now, but some injuries to my lower back/glutes is preventing me from squatting as heavy as I could otherwise (last time doing legs after about 3 or so leg sessions, I was squatting 100kg 3x10) and also preventing me from deadlifting heavy as well...It's pretty disheartening when you can't do what you want to be doing...

As for my chest, I'll agree it doesn't look terrible in that photo, but it's always looked 'ok' if I'm in a singlet, as long as it's not cut any lower than the one I'm wearing in that photo...Any lower than that, and it shows my weakest point, the lower/middle of the pecs. Also keeping in mind that in that photo I'm pretty sure I was towards the end of the 3rd set of hammer curls, after having just finished a back session, so I was probably at my most pumped, and pulling my shoulders back to focus on the bicep more..

I do work predominantly in the 8-10 rep range, and I think I'm way past overdue for a program change as I've essentially been doing the same thing for as long as I can remember, and I know I shouldn't be repeating it for so long...

As for your comment about the 120-130kg bench, I f**king WISH! I've never gone for a 1RM (mainly because of how weak my bench is, I don't want to make myself anymore depressed with a piss weak 1RM) but I can usually push about 80-85kg for 8-10, with a spotter and on a good day, I might get 6 at 90kg...So pretty poor imo...

As for the hat, I always wear a hat when I'm in need of a haircut because my hair goes wavy and like an afro when it's even remotely long :)

Oh, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned it already, but I literally only do 2-3 sets of bicep work per week! whether that be 2 sets of barbell curls, or a few sets of hammers, that's literally it. The only other work they'd get is during other exercises...

Your bench is pissweak for your weight and amount of time training. I think we've figured out why your chest is lagging.