Sign in to follow this  
dezz

Failed goals...

bodybuilding and powerlifting are two different things. One's goal is to build muscle for size and definition, other's goal is build for strength. Cables/dumbells build chests, Bench's build ego's ;)

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. BB'ing and powerlifting are actually not that different in goals or practice. Strength helps build size, size helps build strength. The only real difference is their attitudes to dieting and competition attire. BB'ing evolved from powerlifting in the first place and a lot of the early bb'ers were powerlifters first before they stepped on stage.

+1

To the op, have you read this one on AusBB 10 rules to getting big? Its in the bodybuilding section :P

Just read it then...I think I need to shake off my current mindset and get into the squat/dead/mp/bench routine 2-3 times a week. It just feels like I'm not doing enough to fix the problem (my chest) but what I'm doing now doesn't seem to be working either, so worst case scenario I'll be in the same spot as I am now.

I think I just need to get into it and stick with it. turning it around in a day or 2 and doing it all again is tricky at first, but if I stick with it I can probably recover in time...

Quick update, started the program today

Squat/bench/MP/dead/bent over row

went for a 5x5 approach (with a few extra reps if I started out too light, rather do it that way than load it up and injure myself straight up and f**k myself up for another few weeks/months)

Squat, 5th set I was up to 110kg and did 6 without too much hassle

Bench, 85kg for 5x5-6

MP, think I stopped at 55-60kg, 5x5

dead, stopped at 80 or 85kg from memory (light I know, but glute injury was flared up from work so took it easy)

bent over, 60kg 5x5

Finished off with some tabata thrusters for cardio

Planning to head back on wednesday if I feel recovered enough, otherwise I'll push it to Thursday, and back it up saturday. Then aim for mon-wed-fri

Gonna grab a diary and keep track of the weights and reps too

I'd swap deads and MPs in sequence. This will give your shoulders a small amount of respite after bench.

If you're wanting to run a 5x5 program then why not do Bill Starr/Madcow's 5x5? Its a tried and tested program with set progressions and gives solid results. I did it a couple of times.

http://stronglifts.com/madcow/table_of_contents_thread.htm

The actual order yesterday was Bench, Squat, dead, mp, bent over row

I wanted to squat first, but one of the PT wankers at my gym was dead lifting in the rack for some reason....

I'll check that program out too

Session 2 down

squat peaked at 115kg 5th set for 5

bench peaked at 87.5kg 5th set for 3.5

deadlift peaked 5th set at 95kg for 5

mp 5x5 @ 55kg

bent over row 5x5 @ 70-75kg

I'd swap deads and MPs in sequence. This will give your shoulders a small amount of respite after bench.

If you're wanting to run a 5x5 program then why not do Bill Starr/Madcow's 5x5? Its a tried and tested program with set progressions and gives solid results. I did it a couple of times.

http://stronglifts.com/madcow/table_of_contents_thread.htm

I read some of that, very interesting :)

Maybe a little off topic but I think it belongs here..

I've been trying to put on some size for the upcoming lacrosse season and seem to have done alright, going from 78 to 85 since around October with eating nowhere near the amount I want.. I've put on about 2 of those kgs in fat I'd say.

Currently I have muesli in milk and a protein shake in water for breakfast, protein bar for morning tea, chicken breast and salad for lunch, 3 kangaroo sausages and veggies for afternoon tea and then maybe chicken again with salad for tea.. Where can I look to for places to drop the fat? I lift heavy twice a day 3 times a week, plus 3 days of Cardio which includes sprints, indoor soccer and 5-6km runs.. Is it because I've only started this diet recently? I'm 5'10" and 85kgs with about 20% bf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nathan

Oh yeah, I pretty much follow the skinny guy routine.

20% is rather high for 85kg (i was around the same).

Take your weight, convert it into pounds, times it by 10 and there's your calories.

40% protien, 30% essential fatty acids and 30% good complex carbs (try to keep starchy carbs to a minimum).

If you have any other Questions, PM me.

Currently I have muesli in milk and a protein shake in water for breakfast, protein bar for morning tea, chicken breast and salad for lunch, 3 kangaroo sausages and veggies for afternoon tea and then maybe chicken again with salad for tea.. Where can I look to for places to drop the fat? I lift heavy twice a day 3 times a week, plus 3 days of Cardio which includes sprints, indoor soccer and 5-6km runs.. Is it because I've only started this diet recently? I'm 5'10" and 85kgs with about 20% bf.

Oh yeah, I pretty much follow the skinny guy routine.

Diet sounds good, but I'm not sure what is in those kangaroo sausages, are they just kangaroo?

Training sounds ok.

Are you losing at all? If not as mentioned you might need to measure calories :(

Are you drinking anything besides water during the day?

And how long have you been on this diet? Weight loss does take time unfortunately :(

Only drink water and milk, got off the booze start of the year :) only started the diet about 2-3 weeks ago, I think the main problem is I still slip up here and there :( I know it takes time and in prepared to wait for it to happen, but not losing at all sucks :lol:

Cheers Liam, I might pm you later on :)

Squatting 120kg on the 5th set without too much trouble, I'll keep increasing steadily..

Benched 90kg x 5 on the 5th set, pretty happy with that, again just trying to increase steadily after each week (If I can push 100kg x 5 after 9 more weeks of this program I'll be happy, hopefully with a bit more of a chest to show for it as well)

deads up to 105-110kg without too much hassle, still nursing the hammy and glute though so I'll increase slowly..

What are people eating for simple carbs post workout?

Might have to get myself some, I know I have to eat some carbs to progress on this program, but being summer I don't really wanna store more fat on my chest and gut which is exactly where it'll go.

Anyone got any they reccomend, and a link to where they buy it?

Was just looking at the old eating plan I made up a while back....Only 2000 calories...

based on a weight of 83kg (182lb) x 15, theoretically I need 2730cals to maintain, 3640cals to gain...

Anyone got their eating plan handy with around that number of calories, just so I don't have to start from scratch and can add/subtract as needed....

Also, for those of you that are, what brand of dextrose are you using in your post workout shakes?

Still at it, 3 days a week

Squatted 135x5 yesterday (thought it was 125kg but turned out my mate put the wrong weight on - bit of a psychological breakthrough so hopefully continue to increase)

bench 92.5 by the 3rd/4th/5th set, can only really get 3.5-4 reps on my own..bench doesn't seem to be improving which is frustrating the f**k out of me considering that the whole program change was aimed at improving my chest..

deadlifting about 120kg x 5, glute/hamstring still holding me back but trying to increase the weight steadily

MP 55-60kg x 5, don't seem to be increasing much there either

Bent over bb row, up to 75-80kgx5, increasing steadily

eating more than I was, chest just doesn't seem to grow though...

squat 135x5 on the 5th set

bench went to 95kg on the 4th, got about 4 on my own, 5th set only managed 3 but 95kg is a PB

deadlift went to 135kg x 5 on the 5th

mp 60kgx5

bent over row 80kgx5 by the 5th

Doubt anyone is still reading, but I'll keep posting to keep myself motivated

Happy with today's session

squat 140x5 on the 5th set

bench 97.5 on the 4th set, 4 reps on my own, 5th set 3.5 reps on my own

deadlift 140x5 on the 5th

MP 62.5kg x 5 on the 5th

Bent rows 85kg on the 3rd/4th/5th sets for 5-7 reps

Today

Squat 142.5kg x 5 on the 5th

bench 100kg on the 4th and 5th set, 4 decent reps on the 4th, spotter helped on the 5th, 3 decent reps on the 5th set, spot for the 4th and nothing in the tank for a 5th, dropped it to 60kg and pumped out 11 to failure

dead 142.5kg x 5 on the 5th

MP 62.5kg x 5 on the 5th

Bent rows 95kg x 5 on the 5th

PB's across the board apart from MP which was equal best..

squat and dead up to 145kg tonight

Good progress but give up on counting spotted reps. :thumbsup:

If the spotter does any work I don't count them...Just mentioning them in here for the sake of keeping track of any progress :)

squat 145 x 5 on the 5th (only got 4 reps last session)

dead 150 x 5, felt reasonably easy

squat 147.5 x 5 5th set

dead 150 x 5 on the 5th set, more in the tank

bench going backwards, can't get back to 100 x 5....

Some things will never be.

I read that article ages ago actually, and think it describes me...I never really feel sore/tired in the pecs, but can't move the weight after x sets/reps...

I do feel it a bit more now that I've gone with a wider grip on the bench, but still not as much as I'd like to/should feel it...

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure I just don't have much pec muscle, and don't think I'll ever be able to get it growing or change the shape I've got there... Pretty depressing but nothing I can do about it...