Sign in to follow this  

Circuit racing brake pad thread

This thread is for peoples views on certain brake pads, like most of you who track your car your not the type who uses street tires so lets focus on pads for semi/full slicks.

My very first "R" type pads were pink bits STI pads (for WRX which use the same caliper), meh nothing special

Then I used Ferodo DS3000, they are really a huuuge step up when running semis because they (semi slick tires) dont lock as easily and these pads really brake washing off speed like a have never seen. This is a very vague explanation, I'm running OEM front rotors and its like a huge brake upgrade, I did a flat 1.13 lap at Wakefield on 205 re55 semis, I reckon I could do high 1.11 because I didn't get the hang of semis+racing pads combo, I could push a bit more with the brakes and tires.

Stupid me sold these pads half used, now I im looking into either 777 or 999 from project MU, which one is better? They are both under $300 (EMS express and paypal brokerage included) from perfectrun

I find this graph hard to understand

brake_chart.jpg

The graph is showing what use they are applicable for and where they can cross over, plus stopping power obviously. You really need to read up on the specific compounds for it to start making sense.

The 777 can work in sprints but is more angled towards longer races, not suitable for street

The 999 works well for short or longer races, no good for street

Racing sintered is a straight out enduro pad

All of them eat rotors.

The 999 is the pick of the 2, but it's a poor choice for a registered car doing sprint style circuit work.

Every now and then i'm tempted by the level max900i but the pad and rotor wear increase over the HC+ that i'm using now puts me off them.

I see, so what would be better for sprints 999 or max900i?

I have nothing to compare HC+ by (are they anything like DS3000?) but I heard they work really well but its still a street pad, im after something for the track.

Is the car going to be driven on the street at all?

HC+ is a great pad. I experienced 0 fade with mine, and am about to put them in the STi as well.

Haven't used these pads but have the DS2500 now and they seem fine for my car. I have the DS3000 for the fronts ready to go so will comment on these when I can.

Looking at the graph it seems the 999 or 777 are true racing pads which indicate they are not suitable for street use and will chew your rotors quickly (as Dave pointed out). They will take a long time to get to temp so will be ineffective and perhaps even dangerous for street use. Most guys that have used the HC+ have said good things and those guys are running good times.

Is the car going to be driven on the street at all?

HC+ is a great pad. I experienced 0 fade with mine, and am about to put them in the STi as well.

Pads will be swapped at the track, and swapped again at the end of the track day, s14/15 calipers are the easiest and quickest to change pads.

Haven't used these pads but have the DS2500 now and they seem fine for my car. I have the DS3000 for the fronts ready to go so will comment on these when I can.

Looking at the graph it seems the 999 or 777 are true racing pads which indicate they are not suitable for street use and will chew your rotors quickly (as Dave pointed out). They will take a long time to get to temp so will be ineffective and perhaps even dangerous for street use. Most guys that have used the HC+ have said good things and those guys are running good times.

You wont be disapointed thumbsup.gif DS3000 is an amazing pad but they will munch you rotor if you drive it around the streets. Let us know how they compare to DS2500.

Guys remember this isn't a street pad thread.

You'll need to bed them into the disc each time you change them then. Seems like a lot of pain considering you could use the HC+'s and kill two birds with one stone.

I've recommended them to friends and everyone I know thinks highly of them.

My 2c

Thanks phunky, bedding is not an issue, I did the same with Ds3000 on the way to wakefield.

PMU Aust have also released a new pad called the Club Racer, it is the same compound as the H16-03 but is manufactured like a street pad rather than a race pad therefore it is much cheaper but still has brilliant stopping power. It sits in the range between the HC+ and H16-03 and is not much more expensive than the HC+. Only issue with it for street cars is that it is not overly flash under 200 degrees.

THats the thing, all project MU pads are around the same price, HC+ cost the same as level900maxI,999 and 777, n1 racing etc.

They are still dirt cheap compared to Ds3000 $300

Considering my pads are not vented and have no cooling im really tempted with the 999.

how about, performance vs price!

im very happy with the ds2500 from 'street to track' on boostcruising for about 200 per axle.

how much are the project mu ones, and where from?

be careful using an overly agressive pad designed for a car that is heavier then your car as you loose some of your brake modulation and feel. i have seen guys go for the most agressive pads and struggle to brake effectivly on the track.

You are better off sticking with something that handles the heat for how many laps you normally do and allows fine adjustment and feel through the pedal rather then touching the pedal and your face hits the windscreen.

I picked up the DS3000 for about $220 or so and that was when the Aussie dollar was not as strong as now. I am keen to try it out however the car brakes fine now with the 2500's so will see how they go.

Whats the price on the HC+, Club racer and H16-03?

i use QFM AR1M pads they are well priced $ spent vs braking power

I picked up the DS3000 for about $220 or so and that was when the Aussie dollar was not as strong as now. I am keen to try it out however the car brakes fine now with the 2500's so will see how they go.

Whats the price on the HC+, Club racer and H16-03?

Thats cheap as chips, all places I know sell them for more than double the price you bought them.

Boxheadmr: Didn't Pat write a review raving about the 777 brake pads on his S15?

I'm still using Lucas/TWR pads.

Don't laugh! I've never experience brake fade or any troubles with pad delamination or rotor wear.

They are very cheap too!

Only downside is they wear out after about 4 supersprint events and dust up a bit.

Seeing as they are cheap and don't damage rotors, I think that's acceptable.

I stop just as good as anyone out there running expensive brake pads.

Over the years i used 2500's, 3000's and HC+ on the street and track.

HC+ were probably the better of the three, giving the same performance of the 3000's without the rotor munch.

Although i found the HC+ probably too aggressive for the rear in my setup.

Lazy, for the level that you are at the HC+ would be the best bet and you will only need to get one set of pads. More money to spend elsewhere.

Thanks Jono, if you dont mind me asking what pads were you running when you did the 1.06 at waky?

Don't laugh! I've never experience brake fade or any troubles with pad delamination or rotor wear.

They are very cheap too!

Only downside is they wear out after about 4 supersprint events and dust up a bit.

stop giving away the secrets! lol

these are what I used in my Supra. I got much longer life out of them than 4 events though. More like 10 or 12 I reckon. I only ever got fade towards the end of a 15min session at Oran park GP in the 1530kg Supra with the early/small/2-1spot brakes and normal garden-variety brake fluid. In normal 5lap sprints, never a hint of fade.

They will be going on the 180 now that the Bendix pads that came with the GTR brakes are worn out. They were fine too, but much harder on the discs. It pulls 1.3G under brakes lap after lap at Lakeside with Bendix Metal Kings on R32 GTR brakes. You just don't need expensive rotor eating pads for sprints.

They are very cheap too!

I actually got a set of these with the brembos when i bought them. They suprised me me a bit as they were quite good, but i didnt quite feel they were at the level of the others.

Thanks Jono, if you dont mind me asking what pads were you running when you did the 1.06 at waky?

HC+ front and rear.

Same setup did 46's at EC.

As i said, on the rear they were a bit too much and it probably would have been better with something like 2500's.

I suggest to most people doing a bit of track work to that are sub 1300kgs to run the HC+ front and the B-Spec in the rear, together they are a great combo and you can drive to and from the track and everywhere else you need to go with them no problems at all.

I run HC+ in my daily and absolutely love them!

Another vote for HC+ here no fade at wakie / EC being used hard (that said i am running 33GTR brembos on a 180sx)

+ still okay on the street great pad for the Regoed / club style package

And as above im using B specs in the rear and would recommend it as a good all round package

i've heard so much about them! alot of the skyline boys run them down here in SA

Every now and then i'm tempted by the level max900i but the pad and rotor wear increase over the HC+ that i'm using now puts me off them.

I've run both back-to-back and they are pretty similar in rotor wear and low temperature (street) use but the HC+ were easier to bed. They seem to hold up slightly longer on the track but I wouldn't say there's much in it. They are lasting a little longer for me than the HC+ did for track work.

i've heard so much about them! alot of the skyline boys run them down here in SA

The A1RM won't hold up to circuit use.

i don't run them so i don't know! but some of those guys say they like it and so on! so i'm only going on by their words

I got one of the first sets of Project Mu Club Racer pads in Aus and they are freakin awesome!!!! If u drivr the car daily then get HC+, but if u drive it rarely or only for "Sunday" drives between trak days then Club Racer pads are epic.