Sign in to follow this  
Upright

advice on new routine

so recently been sick and lost about 7kg weighing around 63 (at 6ft tall) just finished school so deciding to get back into shape, eating healthy and sleeping right

always been skinny but still pretty strong for my size (was benching reps with 75kg before being sick)

basically want to regain the weight and bulk up a bit without adding too much bodyfat currently around 5%

considering a 4 day workout such as found here http://www.maximuscle.com/toolsanddownloads/trainingroutines4days.html

and a pretty intensive ab workout roughly about 1000 crunches worth a session, plus maybe a cardio session or two

would be thankful for advice on what days to incorporate each session and rest days, and would also be extremely appreciative of a experienced opinion of realistic goals as I am currently not 100% sure on what to be aiming for timewise.

Firstly, I bet you're not really 5%. That's competitive bb'er lean.

Secondly, that routine: kill it with fire. :whack:

Hit a full body routine made up of compound lifts 3x/week. No wrist curls, no 1000 abs bullshit. Look up Rippetoe's Starting Strength or try something like this:

Squat 3 x 10

Bench 3 x 10

Deadlift 3 x 5

Military Press 3 x 10

Bent Row 3 x 10

Eat lots, sleep lots, don't overdo the cardio.

Firstly, I bet you're not really 5%. That's competitive bb'er lean.

Secondly, that routine: kill it with fire. :whack:

Hit a full body routine made up of compound lifts 3x/week. No wrist curls, no 1000 abs bullshit. Look up Rippetoe's Starting Strength or try something like this:

Squat 3 x 10

Bench 3 x 10

Deadlift 3 x 5

Military Press 3 x 10

Bent Row 3 x 10

Eat lots, sleep lots, don't overdo the cardio.

thanks for the advice. been around 5% for as long as i can remember. went up to about 8 then was sick and did a detox now roughly around 5 not 100% accurate cos havnt done skin folds etc but its pretty close. currently dont do any cardio just want to slightly increase aerobic capacity and might get back into some lazy swimming so wont overdo that. and the ab workout is basically this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0 with slight variations and instead of doing 8 or so reps of everything i do 40 then finish off with extra crunches bridges and a few superman push ups.

sorry i should have said this before but looking to remain fairly defined as i dont really want to have to cut at the end. just wondering if only incorporating compound lifts would retain definition. basically used to do the above compound lifts every workout and a shitload of pull ups (3 x 10), dips (3 x 30), shrugs(3 x 15), pec flys (3 x 15), barbell curls (3 x 10), lunges (3 x 10) etc then ended up with chronic fatigue so wondering if the 4 day split routine would still give results. i know alot of body builders favor split day routines but theres a lot of conflicting opinions out there so I'm wondering about the benefits of a full body workout vs a split routine. havn't read starting strength yet but will definately have a look tomorrow

really appreciate the advice btw

Split Routines:: Are They the Death of Productive Training?

Its sounds like you went totally overboard with your old program, no wonder you got sick. Just doing the main lifts, regular cardio and keeping a clean diet will keep you nice and lean.

You can have still have visible abs at 10-12% and sometimes even higher which is why I suggest your bf guesstimate is wrong. Lots of people underestimate their bf from looking in the mirror, you can't be sure til you get skinfold tests done and even then it can be sketchy.

Thanks that article helped a great deal. Hard to find good information these days with so much conflicting opinions around but that all makes sense to me. I'll get started on the routine today. Oh and yeah always ha no fat whatsoever doctors, bodybuilders and pt's have all said I was around 5% so just genes and a really high metabolism I guess