Sign in to follow this  
Vodkashot

Commitment to get back to how I was

G'day all,

Let me start by saying, I am 22 years old, 180cm tall and weigh in at 130kg. I am over this shit.

When I left high school I was fit, played junior footy for my local, and was respected amongst my peers as a fit and healthy trainer. I stopped all that at 18. Weight came on, really fast. I went from 98kg of a decent body, to 130kg of blubber. Work and stupidity over-came me. I did not realize how bad it had become until the other day I was looking in the mirror and finally saw the truth, that the decent looking guy I was turned out to be a fat grub that worked all day, and played WoW all night.

I just got back from my first session in the gym in 3 years, Did 40mins cardio and began on my chest, I feel like crap. I cannot even do 1/2 of the 80kg I used to be able to bench and feel so embarrassed (not for others, but at myself) that I let it get this far.

I have deleted my WoW account, and will no longer be taking my wallet with me to work (to ensure I don't eat the shit the tuck truck brings).

I just felt the need to say something to anyone. I need to get my priorities straighted, my health is my life. Not junk food, stressful work and late WoW nights.

Please help and give advice.

Just keep going mate it will all

Come back, I've started 3 weeks ago after a yr off and I'm half as strong, key is don't quit, keep goin and u will achieve ur goals, slowly but surely, hardest thing is the first week back, just visualize ur goals and keep

Climbing towards em, most of all hold ur head high u are doing something

about it, there's alot of fat f**ks out

there acting like there it and a bit and

don't understand what long term

damage there doing to there

health/life etc, I'm happy for ya. Shane

Cheers on the responses guys, The hardest part about today was probably showing my face at the gym.

I felt so out of place, And even though most people I still knew there remembered me, they almost all asked;

"What happened?"

I didn't know how to answer it. And although I smiled and said that shit happens, I knew it was a mad stuff up on my behalf.

It's not a stuff up, it's a lesson learnt, now ur going to teach urself a happy healthier lifestyle and achieve ur goal and get better than how u once were, never look at down times in life as failure, just lessons we are here on earth to be taught, I could keep reeling on but mate you no what u gotta do, take personal pics now and this time nxt year then reveal to friends family etc, peace

Mate I am coming from the same place, was 80 kg, nice and fit and just ripping life up and working as a chef then started at a call center and up to 105kg, facebooking all the time, stopped gym became lazy and now back in the gym, I'm dieting properly (none of the "ohh I'm going to cut out sugar and carbs bullshit") and committed to getting back to where a healthy 27 year old should be!

keep your mind in the right place and you can make it happen dude!!

i just said this in another thread but im gonna say it again,

www.ptcfrankston.com

read his newsletters like its your bible. squat, deadlift, diet, sleep, repeat.

I know where you coming from. I'm about the same age, 175cm and weigh 100kgs or so. Being not so tall, you really do look huge with that fat weight.

I study, work and play games. But seeing one self becoming huge from what I was, it really hits you. I felt pathetic and depressed. I didn't like who I'd become.

I first realised this in late November of last year, when I went to buy a singlet and tried it on. Saw myself in the mirror and was like WTF! happen to me.

Since that day, I joined the gym again, worked out 4x a week doing at least 1hr of cardio(consist of running, walking on treadmill, cross-trainer or bike thingy LOL)and another 1hr of weights followed by a swim depending on mood. Drank loads of water and started eating a bit better. I stop maccas, HJ and KFC all together, but I left a day of the week to eat something different as not to fall off the healthier diet completely. Something from a nice restaurant or something.

I found that it help settle the craving to eat junk, just don't go overboard.

First week was hard, wanted to give up, but having friends with me at the gym, seeing how fit they was gave me the push along with there support to succeed.

Since starting I have lost 15kgs or so down to 85kg. I could of loss a bit more I reckon but I started during the wrong time due to Christmas and new years being around the corner.

I look considerably much smaller, not as wide and round. I still have a little bit of a gut but it's not a protruding beer belly that it once was. It like lined up with my chest, thus looking much flatter. Slowly toning and gaining muscle at the same time. Strength wise I'm getting there again and will be pushing for more.

Trust me, get thru the first week and that is a great achievement in itself. Then stick with it. There will be times that it get hard but that's a given.

Also I have tried this workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HCrrY653A&feature=channel

15 body squats, 10 push ups, 5 pull ups

Repeat for 20 minutes, keep track of the number of rounds you get!

I couldn't do push up or pull up properly at the start but I did the push up on my knees and pull up by jumping like it said in the vid. Found this workout really helps (usually I do this when I'm bored at home because cut down on gaming) and since it push up and pull up work out the chest area to get rid of the MAN BOOBIES!! LOL

Best of luck dude and be sure to keep at it. I know I will be.

Best get ur diet 100 percent before u get to hard on urself about gym not workin as quick as u wish,

^^ 100% Agree. So many people think the difference is the gym and they can eat whatever they like. Its not. The difference is made at the dinner table.

I lost my first 30kg without any running what so ever. Did it all through Diet and Lifting heavy as i could 3 times per week.

Eat really well for 6 days and then have a cheat day on Saturday or Sunday where you can eat whatever you want.

Dont eat Bread, Pasta, Rice, Potato, Corn, Fruit after midday, Milk and all the obvious things like takeaway/chocolate etc.

You need to eat every 2.5-3 hours to make sure you metabolism doesnt slow down.

Lift heavy compound weights 3-4 times per week, ie Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Military Press, Dips, Rows and Chins. Aim for lower reps 3-6 for 5 or so sets. Increase the weights you are lifting whenever possible.

Goodluck.

Choose a good 3x a week full-body training routine to help rebuild your physique. Don't fall into the split-trap when you're starting from scratch.

Here are some, quoting myself from another site:

Rippetoe's Starting Strength

The core template of the program is this:

Workout A

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench Press

1x5 Deadlift

Workout B

3x5 Squat

3x5 Standing military press

3x5 Pendlay Rows

Which you will perform on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:

Monday - Workout A

Wednesday - Workout B

Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B

Wednesday - Workout A

Friday - Workout B

The program is described in great detail here, it is a MUST READ: http://forum.bodybui...ad.php?t=998224

Some assistance movement can be added and are described in the link above.

or

PTC Beginner Program

Squat 3 x 10

A.Bench press 3 x 8

B. Bent row 3 x 8

C. Military press 3 x 8

D. SLDL 3 x 8

E. BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight. If you can make the prescribed reps for an exercise then add 2.5kg for the next week, you can add up to 5 kg for the squats and SLDLs.

Any program should look similar to one of these, there are lots of ways to vary them for personal preferences but the basic should be the same. Squat, bench, deadlift, row, MP.

For cardio do med-high intensity circuits, complexes, etc after your weights days and low intensity cardio on off days to aid in recovery.

Edited by El Freako

Well done for making the effort mate, it's the first step but one of the biggest as you have to admit a few truths that are often confronting.

I had leg surgery mid last year and had been slowly putting on weight from being lazy & inactive for 6mths before that. I've started eating healthier (could still be better) and doing exercise at home as I hate gyms. I don't run, haven't been able to run for some time due to my legs and as most on here will attest to, you don't need to run to be fit either. Runners are not the fittest people on earth just because they can run 40km, they've just honed their body to be able to do one thing well.

I might get laughed at for this but i'm doing exercises that a mate who competes in cross fit got me onto. It's weight based, but not heavy lifting once or twice a week like many on here do. The workouts are generally quick and exhausting but rewarding.

To give you an idea of a workout and the exercises involved:

21 to 3 sumo high lifts and push press.

The high lift is a deadlift into an upright row, the push press being a standard military/overhead press from a shallow squat. The routine is simply do 21 of each, then 18, then 15, dropping by 3 each time until you get down to 3, as quickly as you can (obviously maintaining technique, especially when you get tired as that's when it's easy to get lazy and injure yourself). Weight is whatever you're comfortable with that will challenge you but is still completable.

The workouts vary from body weight stuff like elevated push-ups & burpees to weighted exercises like squats, lunges, deadlifts, thrusters (horrible bloody things!) and more, it's limited to what's available to use and your imagination.

I've lost a couple of kilo in 6 weeks - it's not a record but somebody commented yesterday that I have my jawline back and don't look so bloated so I guess I'm doing something right.

I have deleted my WoW account

:o

This guy's serious.

Good luck with it mate. Don't be embarrassed that you're not lifting heavy, that's why you're there. You sound angry and that's a really good thing, all you have to do is stick with it, which is easy once you get some momentum.

Give us a before pic.

A quick update guys,

5 days in I have not laid my hand upon any junk food, stopped all soft drinks. My muscles are killing me, They are all tensed up and its hard to sleep.

But at the same time I feel a lot more limber. I don't get shitty when I drop stuff, I pick it up. And squats have become a lot easier to do. I am also discovering that I may have had a bad smoking addiction (Smoking since I was 12) and it's hold me back hard at cardio. I run out of breath fast and my lungs feel like sand paper. Kicking the smokes is a lot harder than I thought, And I end up having a cigarette without even knowing what I have done till 1/2 way through it.

I know I can shake it cold turkey, I just need a way to remind me that I am quitting.

A quick update guys,

5 days in I have not laid my hand upon any junk food, stopped all soft drinks. My muscles are killing me, They are all tensed up and its hard to sleep.

But at the same time I feel a lot more limber. I don't get shitty when I drop stuff, I pick it up. And squats have become a lot easier to do. I am also discovering that I may have had a bad smoking addiction (Smoking since I was 12) and it's hold me back hard at cardio. I run out of breath fast and my lungs feel like sand paper. Kicking the smokes is a lot harder than I thought, And I end up having a cigarette without even knowing what I have done till 1/2 way through it.

I know I can shake it cold turkey, I just need a way to remind me that I am quitting.

good on ya mate, first take little steps. the cutting out of soft drink and the junk food is the best thing you could of done.. now start to include a lot more chicken and meat in your diet... eat 6 meals a day, 200g of chicken breast at each sitting if you can... if you cant work up to it... bit of veg and fruit in the morning... you'll go through a bit of a slug to get there, but your squats should get stronger real soon if your busting your arse.... a strong healthy protein diet does wonders for compound lifting..

I tried exercising to remind myself of how unfit I was but it wasn't enough. I got on the CHAMPIX after smoking like a chimney for 6 years and I haven't touched one since september last year. Go to your doctor and get a prescription and if you have any sort of willpower you should quit easy.

i read the thread title then the username and had a good laugh :lol:

good luck mate

Hey man well done for the decision to change your ways, I was 111kg just a bit taller than you and made the decision to change started from my friends going to the gym and me thinking hey i can do that so I joined and kept going, my mates lost interest and went to the pub while I was in the gym squatting, deadlifting, benching etc etc. lost over 20kg so far and kept it all off.

Im still 10kg off my goal of 80kg but these things take time i put on the weight in 6 years its not coming off overnight, just keep at it take a photo before and when the weight comes off look at it and use it, show people and when you get people hardly recognizing you that feels awesome.