AlexCim

Vinyl wrap car

Here is what we started with......

img0777b.jpg

End result.....

img0778a.jpg

Came up pretty good.

Cheers.

We run a pinstripe tape in the same colour or actual vinyl strips. Dont like the old nail polish idea.......

How far do you guys run the vinyl into the car? What I mean, have a look at this video:

They go to the extent to remove all the door seals/sills etc and foil under them so you can see any discernible "stop" in color. Not that I think you need to go so far into it, but just asking questions now.

Far out!!! These guys are nuts!!! Never seen them before, let alone seen anyone who actually goes to that extent........ But i suppose its something to look into.

We dont generally go that far, only because the isnt normally a call for it, add to that you dont get many people willing to wrap supercars like that in this country or people who want to spend the money. We wrap the panels to the point were it isnt visible anymore, and we remove lights, handles, grills ect.....

We completed the Alfa in 1 day. But it is outside only, no door jams and stuff. If we spent 6 days on it, we probably could have wrapped the underside of the car too!!

And we actually filmed the wrapping and did the whole timelapse video too, so i might be able to do another update soon.

Alex if you are serious feel free to come down to the shop and have a look over this car.

Heres a fancier pic:

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

^ What's removing the vinyl like?

I'm thinking about wrapping my Origin carbon fibre bonnet in white to suit the body of the car... Although given that it's carbon fibre, I would like to be able to peel off the vinyl when it comes time to sell up the bonnet. Something you guys can do?

Cheers,

Andy

Yeah removal of quality vinyl is easy. Just a bit of heat and it should come off nicely with very little residue.

If it's the bonnet without the vents it should be an easy one. Let me know if your keen.

^ Yeah it's the Type II, without vents in the middle of the bonnet, although there is a section towards the back that allows hot air to be released. That section I would be keen to leave as carbon fibre.

Also when you say it's easy to remove, does it affect the clear coat at all? I wouldn't want to stuff up an immac carbon fibre bonnet attempting the vinyl application :unsure:

What's you location and approx $$$?

Cheers,

Andy

Edit: Please pm for a quote... If you can that is without seeing the car physically.

I say do it my mate is doing his in full carbon fibre and the ones I've seen look sexy as

so can you wrap a car that needs a paintjob instead of doing it a paint job?

what if there is a small couple hail damage bumps on the roof?

Thinking of wrapping my car in matte white along with some parts in matte black, has anyone had any experiences with people to wrap full cars, rough costs, etc.

Seems very popular in the US, but not many people I've found doing it here.

Bumps and dents will still show underneath the wrap. We had any dents PDR'ed before the wrap. Wrapping is an alternative to resprays.

However, if the original paint is flakey, the vinyl removal later on down the track could lift the paint.

We fully wrapped this '05 MX-5. But we are in Sydney:

110.JPG

SideB2resize.jpg

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap

Edited by Carbon Demon

if its cheap could make my shitty daily look a hell of alot better. no sanding and painting etc required :|

if its cheap could make my shitty daily look a hell of alot better. no sanding and painting etc required :|

No painting or sanding, but like Driift said, parts have to be removed.

Carbon-Wrap-Process.jpg

Mike

yo alex we get one coming in to work in matt black with matt black multi spoke wheels, looks top in person. also get a full exhaust ya girl itl be so much better and all the carbon parts look tops in person also

just so anybody wants to know, i have been quoted $2500-3300 for a s13 silvia from a few places in brisbane.

fwok dat i said.

Wow that romeo came up mint, why did he just buy a white one lol?

so now he can rob a bank and rip the decals off half way down the street.. btw that mx5 looks great wrapped in the carbon, wonderful job! how many hours and people do you guys usually have on the job?

I forgot I took these weeks ago and forgot to share.

Since I am pretty awesome at graphic design... ;) I believe this is what you're expecting -

Before:

184703_10150092305605318_701395317_6813833_5337423_n.jpg

184800_10150092305690318_701395317_6813834_6651570_n.jpg

184866_10150092305740318_701395317_6813836_680403_n.jpg

179816_10150092305875318_701395317_6813839_5482581_n.jpg

After:

180483_10150092306005318_701395317_6813842_2704350_n.jpg

184154_10150092306035318_701395317_6813843_6331232_n.jpg

181562_10150092305955318_701395317_6813841_2146057_n.jpg

182013_10150092305925318_701395317_6813840_3098787_n.jpg

Every 30 cars, you get Matte paint on GT5.

so now he can rob a bank and rip the decals off half way down the street.. btw that mx5 looks great wrapped in the carbon, wonderful job! how many hours and people do you guys usually have on the job?

Myself and my partner did the MX-5 in 4 days straight. Each panel was done individually with one single sheet of vinyl. Car was stripped right down, like a respray.

On commercial vehicles, we would take 2 days as the job might not be as critical (only a workhorse, and not someone's pride and joy). On these cars/vans/car-like vans, a single large sheet is laid over the the whole side of the vehicle and cuts are made on the gaps between panels. Much quicker.

Look at this car-like van; we hated it, with its impact-damage, cracked lens and all. The client supplied the vinyl, which is not even made for vehicle wraps (but for cutting self-adhesive decals).

83.JPG

Mike

Edited by Carbon Demon

^ interesting stuff, thanks for sharing info on the process :)

Myself and my partner did the MX-5 in 4 days straight. Each panel was done individually with one single sheet of vinyl. Car was stripped right down, like a respray.

On commercial vehicles, we would take 2 days as the job might not be as critical (only a workhorse, and not someone's pride and joy). On these cars/vans/car-like vans, a single large sheet is laid over the the whole side of the vehicle and cuts are made on the gaps between panels. Much quicker.

Look at this car-like van; we hated it, with its impact-damage, cracked lens and all. The client supplied the vinyl, which is not even made for vehicle wraps (but for cutting self-adhesive decals).

Mike

Have you guys wrapped any bikes? How much would I be expecting to pay?

In the process of full wrapping a '09 GTR. What a beautiful car! The owner has bigger plans for it still.

Will be finished by later this week. Pics will be up shortly to show everyone.

I think it might be the first R35 in NSW to be wrapped !

A worthy point to make is that despite the tech and new-age design, stripping it is not much different to stripping my S15 from a few years ago.

A more interesting question I have to ask myself is how I moved onto a 2.0L MX-5 from a 250BHP S15......old age perhaps.

Might switch from sports to lawn bowl next.....:wtf1:

Edited by Carbon Demon

Matte black wrap is sometimes preferred nowadays over glossy/metallic black. Not just for tuners, but for manufacturers!

This Jag XF special finish is a wrap. To be featured on Top Gear soon and will be driven by Jeremy Clarkson, right here in Australia.

HX-30000 was used to wrap the whole car.

The rear quarter panel, C-pillar, cant rail and A-pillar on each side of the vehicle was done in a single piece. No joints.

XF-Stealth-2-625x416.jpg

Mike

Edited by Carbon Demon

carbon demon: rough cost on wrapping a full car ??

it is hard to quote so maybe give him details such as car model, kit or no kit? and do you want to wrap around into the panel returns.

What sort of lifespan are people with full wraps generally looking at before the vinyl starts to look shitty?

Guys, I have promised the moderators not to conduct business over this forum (giving quotes etc). Please understand. I am sorry to be a prude.

I can, however, answer all queries anyone might have in regards to vehicle vinyl wrappping in order to promote its bennefits.

Please direct enquires to our website. There is an enquiry form there and well as provisions to upload photos to illustrate what sort of effect that you are pursuing. There are also a ton of pictures and info as well. Its well worth a look.

Some facts about vinyl wrapping.....

Vinyl wrap is 100% reversible. Removal within a couple of years will require minimal use of heat and time. This is because the vinyl has not had much exposure to UV-damage. Each piece of vinyl should come off in several sections. There should be no residue as the adhesive substance stays on the vinyl.

Removal after 4-5 years will involve more time as UV exposure would make the film more brittle. It will rip off in more pieces. Minimal residue might occur but prepsol (wax & grease remover) should wipe it off easily without scrubbing.

The vinyl manufacturer, Hexis, quotes up to 10 years durability for their vinyls. This is dependant on the factors of usage, UV exposure and care. The effect and colour of the chosen material also plays a part. Please see: http://www.ilovehx.com/english.htm

Cleaning is easy. Hand wash (bucket, sponge and chamois with regular products) is recommended. "Wash & wax 2-in-1" detergents are ideal. Wax/polish/buff are neither necessary nor recommended.

We have been using a light-pressured Kärcher to wash and rinse our promo MX-5 since it was first wrapped, blasting the hell out of it every week. Just to put it through the test, against the manufacturer's recommendations. They advised that this could degrade the texture (carbon fibre was used on our car). We have found no issues or changes so far and will continue with this. No edges have lifted as they were all wrapped around to the back of each panel (a bennefit of wrapping after stripping the car first).

There are also various brands and grades of vinyl, with various longevity and prices. In general, you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps anyone who might have queries about vinyl wraps. Once again, I apologise for not being able to cut quotes on the forum. It would be unfair for sponsors and the like.

Mike

Edited by Carbon Demon