Sign in to follow this  
borkoyz

bad alternator?

My friend was draining my battery in my car few weeks back, listening to music (got a sub n amp) while we were working on my car. He got it to a point where the bass would cut out the power (volt gauge was prob 8-10) so i turned the car off and when we finished working with my car i needed to jump it coz it wouldnt start, then i drove it home..

Next day needed a jump again so instead put in another battery and now when i turn my car to on my fuel pump sounds like its struggling to gain power and volt gauge stutters up to about 10-11 . When I drive my car and i press the brakes my gauges will dim or my volt gauge would reset, so it would drop to 0 then go back to 14 and my music will cut out, the headunit will sometimes be on or sometimes switch off but then goes back on.

Any ideas what this could be??

Also another problem which is starting to happen more frequently is when the car stalls or is turned off my back wiper will go down and up then stops n it happens randomly.. any ideas?

Thanks

ohh car is a 1996 180sx type x sr20det if that helps lol

Edited by borkoyz

call nrma, if your with them as a member you can get them to come out and have a look for free, even if one of your mates just have it out on the street and say you were on you way out, works for me

LOL umm no one that i know is with nrma..

any other ideas?

Volt gauge needs to be above 12. First check the connections to the battery are tight.

If you don't have a multimeter buy one for $20 its a must have. Start the car and see what voltage you're getting at the terminals.

Ok ive been doing some tests wit a multimeter and I put it on a power source and ground and it reads 12.4 but when i press the brakes it reads 10.2 and stays like that till i release..

Any ideas?

battery's f**ked.

should read 12.5 with no load.. and 9 ish volt when cranking. once running should be around high 13's or 14 volts to indicate its charging.

the fact that you have 12.4 with no load and then introduce a MINIMAL load such as brake lights and it drops to 10.2 volts is a sure fire indication that the battery is gone

12.4 is a bit low if it's while it's running but ok if engine off, ya want over 13.3 to 14.5ish engine running.

Like gfunk said, check the terminals are tight/clean and the earth to body is tight.

Did ya put in a new and same size as the old one battery??

he said he put another battery in... not a new battery ;)

its f**ked. put a new one in

12.4 is a bit low if it's while it's running but ok if engine off, ya want over 13.3 to 14.5ish engine running.

Like gfunk said, check the terminals are tight/clean and the earth to body is tight.

Did ya put in a new and same size as the old one battery??

I forgot to mention engine isnt running when i tested.. but when it is, it reads around 13-14 on volt gauge as well as multimeter..

Battery is same size as my old one and is newer..

all connections/grounds seem tight..

I also unclipped the brake light switch and everything works fine but now found out the same prob happens when i open 1 window but it doesnt switch off the headunit but if i press both windows down then headunit switches off..

If you need a new alternator, buying a new battery is a start.

They are like $100, if it fails, buy a new alternator. You will want a new alternator with a new battery anyway.

The oooonnlyyy exception, is if you have electrical gremlins.

What work were you doing on your car? If it was anything electrical you didn't introduce a potential drain on your battery?

dude... are you even listening to what im saying?

the battery is f**ked

100% agree, bet my balls the battery is f**ked

dude... are you even listening to what im saying?

the battery is f**ked

100% agree, bet my balls the battery is f**ked

LOL looks like u loose ur balls bro..

Everytime i turn the car on, my fuel pump would b struggling so i checked the fuse box and pushed all the fuses in and that seemed to have fixed the problem. The only thing is it keeps getting loose so i have to keep popin the hood up n pushin all the fuses back down :(

Thanks for the help :)