Sign in to follow this  
Black Widow

Turning over a new leaf

Ok, so...i need some advice...and i'm sure many of you will tell me it's already been listed in here, but i would just like to get your opinions first hand.

I've had, a lets say less than average 8 months or so, i've done a complete life turnaround, but now it's time to focus on fitness and bulking.

I bought a "limited" set of weights (by limited i mean a barbell with 4x20LB weights, and 2 dumbells with about 40LB of weights between them), and i've been using them, and doing plenty of cardio.

I'm a little strapped for cash so i'm a bit limited on being able to join a gym, so i make do with what i have (i understand this may give me limited results, but i'll improvise)

I've also just bought some mass gainer protein powder (Max's), to help bulk a bit (recommended by my former personal trainer who is a body builder)

(by the way, before i go any further, i should probably give you some stats, i'm about 6ft, and weigh about 65kg. I've started to develop a bit of a flabby midsection which i'm wanting to get rid of)

My questions are:

Can i only use the powder on say nights i do weights? Rather than cardio?

Is it ok for me to be doing cardio while using the powder?

If i do crunches, as part of my "weights" night, will this have a side affect at all (like i'll end up end like Hulk Hogan? (this is obviously in conjunction with using the powder)

Is it ok for me to only have the shakes AFTER workout? Not prior, or throughout the day?

What's the best chest focused weights exercise? I've been doing, i'm not sure what they're called, but you basically bench press dumbells, but twist your arms at the end to work your pecs. And also, i've heard that doing curved arm (your arm stays curved the entire time) presses is meant to help widen your chest?

My diet has improved dramitically over the last few months, and have really started to take notice about what i eat.

I think that's all i've got. I know there's probably a million things i want to ask, but can't quite think of them right now.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

I figured this was probably the best place to come for advice

You will find with the powder it will be fine to take it through out the day but you can use it just for after work outs to mend your muscles

If your trying to bulk you don't want to be doing much cardio as you will burn not just fat but muscle as well

As for a good chest work try shoulder width fist press ups but do the slowly do as many as you can when you push your last one out roll on to your back having your dumbbells ready with only a light weight on them and you want to a fly type movement and you will find if you have pushed yourself you won't get much out if you need more help pm me I have a proper work out routine for at home bro

Oh also whats better...higher weight/low reps, or lower weight/higher reps. This may not be possible but i want to do i guess strength training plus bulking.

I think i might pm you dude. How do i combat my flabby abs with lack of cardio? Or will this come with the workout?

Ok, so...i need some advice...and i'm sure many of you will tell me it's already been listed in here, but i would just like to get your opinions first hand.

I've had, a lets say less than average 8 months or so, i've done a complete life turnaround, but now it's time to focus on fitness and bulking.

I bought a "limited" set of weights (by limited i mean a barbell with 4x20LB weights, and 2 dumbells with about 40LB of weights between them), and i've been using them, and doing plenty of cardio.

I'm a little strapped for cash so i'm a bit limited on being able to join a gym, so i make do with what i have (i understand this may give me limited results, but i'll improvise)

I'm sorry to say but you're limited set-up is going to be one of your biggest problems in the end. You might need to look into some creative accounting soon so you can either join a gym or get a better home set-up (more expensive initially but cheaper in the long run)

I've also just bought some mass gainer protein powder (Max's), to help bulk a bit (recommended by my former personal trainer who is a body builder)

(by the way, before i go any further, i should probably give you some stats, i'm about 6ft, and weigh about 65kg. I've started to develop a bit of a flabby midsection which i'm wanting to get rid of)

At 6' and 65kg I'd be more worried about dying of malnutrition than having a flabby mid-section.

My questions are:

Can i only use the powder on say nights i do weights? Rather than cardio?

Don't focus on protein powder, get some real food into you, lots! 5-6 balanced meals a day. You only really need protein powder after a workout or to supplement your meal when you haven't got a whole-food source of protein.

Is it ok for me to be doing cardio while using the powder?

Some cardio will be good for you but don't go overboard if you want to put on muscle.

If i do crunches, as part of my "weights" night, will this have a side affect at all (like i'll end up end like Hulk Hogan? (this is obviously in conjunction with using the powder)

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. "End up like Hulk Hogan"?

Is it ok for me to only have the shakes AFTER workout? Not prior, or throughout the day?

Yes, as long as you are getting enough protein in your meals.

What's the best chest focused weights exercise? I've been doing, i'm not sure what they're called, but you basically bench press dumbells, but twist your arms at the end to work your pecs. And also, i've heard that doing curved arm (your arm stays curved the entire time) presses is meant to help widen your chest?

Twisting your arms won't make a difference and you can't "widen" you chest in any way other than by increasing your chest muscle mass. The best chest builders are heavy presses but you're already making a n00b mistake and focusing on your mirror muscles. I'm interested to see Bigs180's program.

Do you even have a bench or just a barbell and db's?

To start off with I'd be doing a program like this, 3x a week with 3 sets of 10 for every exercise:

Split Squats (look up bulgarian split squats)

Bench Press (do you have a bench?)

Stiff-leg Deadlifts

Bent Rows

Military Press (standing overhead press)

Pullups

But you're going to need more weight to make any progression. :whack:

My diet has improved dramitically over the last few months, and have really started to take notice about what i eat.

You really need to eat more!

I think that's all i've got. I know there's probably a million things i want to ask, but can't quite think of them right now.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

I figured this was probably the best place to come for advice

Good luck.

Ok i probably should've elaborated. I've always found it hard to put on weight. I've been this weight for as long as i can remember. It never matters how much i eat. And sorry the hogan thing was just a bad joke, you know how he's got that massive chest and midsection? Sorry about that. Yeah i bought the weights on the cheap. So no, no bench. Just what i listed.

Maybe if i just sell them and get a gym membership. Im just really strapped for cash cos my gf and i are hardcore saving for a house. So any luxuries are out (and by luxuries i mean anything we dont currently have).

You all prob think im a douche lol

^^ I know man. I'm not expecting immediate results. And i don't really want to get HUGE. I just want to be bigger what i am currently, which would still only make me small. I just want a more "athletic" body. For once i want to be dedicated to reaching a goal. So i'm definitely willing to put in the hard yards with what's necessary. Just got to work out a away around my financials..

Got a local play groun/school near by? Go play there. Pull ups. Push ups . Steal some sand. Fill up buckets with sand for weights. Garbage bag in the back pack etc. Don't think negative. Think of what you CAN do with what you have.

I've looked around for a playground but no dice. Didnt think about a school though. I'll watch that vid tonight truck

Agree with El Freako.

Also, bit late now but mass gainer is probably not the best investment. WHat are they $100 or so for a tub? That is 100L of milk right there. That is a mass gainer :)

Yes, IMO.

A mass gainer is generally a whey protein powder with added carbs. You can buy dextrose very cheap if you wanted to make your own mass gainer.

It isn't pointless if you are trying to put on weight but there are better options.

Look up GOMAD. You don't have to drink that much to start with. Some people are lactose intolerant.

Get kegs from the back, don't go in a ask for them..

Just take them at night, Spend your money on milk and tuna, Not gainer crap.