Sign in to follow this  
DriftSpec33

G/F wants to lose weight but is confused

Hi guys

I was hoping a few of you may be able to help my G/F out.

My G/F wants to lose a fair bit of weight but she is confused. Particularly confused by the ratio of cardio to weights that she should be doing in order to lose the weight. She also doesnt want her skin to be floppy after she loses the weight.

What is the best ratio of cardio to weights and what weights exercises should she be doing. I am figuring the major ones, i.e. deadlift, squat and benchpress with some military presses and ancillary exercises. Also, should she be increasing the reps or weight or both as she gets stronger and leaner.

How often do you think she should be doing the weights and should she do cardio on the days she doesn't do weights? My input would be to do a form of HIIT cardio?

If someone could do up a simple plan that would be awesome, cause lets be honest PT's aren't worth the hassle or the money and I know that people on this forum have gotten great results listening to what other people have to say.

I know you all on here say that food is just as important as the exercise and I think she has her food down pat now. The only issue is, how can she make sure that she stays in a catabolic state?

Alex

All about your diet the food you eat get that sorted and she will loose weight

i've been helping my gf a little with some training over the last few weeks, not fat by any means but she just doesn't exercise at wanted to get fitter. Only 2 or 3 sessions so far, but i've just stuck to the basics pretty much. Deep knee bend, pick something off the ground, press something. Do a couple exercises of each, and then do some Tabata or 15mins HIIT at the end.

One session was a 5 x 5 deadlift, 2 x 15 front squats, MP, box jumps with some dumbells, lunges with some KB's and then 15 x 25m sprints at the end. Sprint, walk back, sprint, walk back... etc

I feel like i should lean the sessions more towards things like 20 rep squats, 2 x 15 SLDL, push press - things i have found quite aerobically taxing amongst all the weighted exercises i do. Judds is THE most taxing thing aerobically that i've found, but we certainly weren't up to the powerclean stage. Perhaps i'll just teach a hang clean and do it that way.

So basically i've been structuring it approx 45mins of weighted exercises that i feel are challenging in the 'fitness' area as well as just being hard (20 rep squats anyone :D) and then finishing off with 15mins of HIIT, usually Tabata thrusters with DB's or KB's or some sprints.

But if your GF hasn't been very active for a while, maybe just get her into the rythmn of regular physical activity before getting too technical. So maybe just do some sprint and burpees sessions 3 times a week to get into the swing of things, and then start incorporating the weight sessions

My missus was pretty fat (before we met thank god). She did that '40degrees yoga' and lost it quick smart

Bicrom yoga plus clean diet with no carbs and high intensity sex is the answer

read this

http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

applies to everyone. males and females.

Thanks for the link. I remember reading it myself quite a while ago.

So she has had a read of that and thinks she has that stuff down pat. I guess its just now what sort of workouts she should be doing

r34skyline - that's pretty interesting. So just 3 days a week? should she also perhaps go for a brisk walk on the days she is not exercising?

Btw, she is hoping to lose 1kg a week

My friend lost 8 kg in 2 months by just eating healthy. Halving her portions and just eating healthy.

i might be coming from left field... but i went with 3 principles rather than being gym oriented.

1.) CONTROL INTAKE, with increased workload it is ESSENTIAL to keep the body fuelled, the higher physical lifestyle will naturally lean the body but you must keep eating to preserve and build the tone and energy in muscles. Fat should naturally fall off over time. I did count my kj intake versus projected expenditure over a day (8200 base to 11000 high intensity day), if you're more hardcore about it, also count all nutrients rather than energy.

as a breakdown...

16kj per g for carbs

17kj per g for protiens

29kj per g for alcohol

36kj per g for ANY fat (olive oil is a better fat/oil but still gives the body 36kj/g)

2.) WORK YOUR ASS OFF, don't train at less than 100% of body's ability (adjust if injured etc etc), mainly don't bs self into thinking you've worked hard just cos you were standing in a gym doing nothing for 2 hours. While intake ranks 1st in my opinion, to get a nice build, some excercise is necessary, i personally hate skinny fat/unfit.

3.) do something you enjoy; for me it was full time dance training (yoga, cross training, capoeira, gymnastics/circus, ballet, contemporary, occasional breaking as a pasttime). Some other ideas would be martial arts, gymnastics, team sports, hiking (outdoorsy stuff); anything really that you can imagine liking!

with these three things in mind i changed my physicality over a year. While slightly chubby and strong, i became much stronger, fitter and leaner and didn't even lose more than 4 kilos over the entire process. For me, if i wanted to lose weight, i'd work on doing an energy debt of 200~500kj daily and keep in mind that the body was not going to respond as well without fuel/glycogen. Results come in about a month but are worth it and easy.

i say this cos i don't believe a gym is necessary to get in shape and is a large myth for youth culture. for hardcore trainers its good, but requires a lot of discipline and robs any enjoyment out of excercise. People should be fit for the joy of movement and health, and not feeling like its a chore that must be done.

i might be coming from left field... but i went with 3 principles rather than being gym oriented.

1.) CONTROL INTAKE, with increased workload it is ESSENTIAL to keep the body fuelled, the higher physical lifestyle will naturally lean the body but you must keep eating to preserve and build the tone and energy in muscles. Fat should naturally fall off over time. I did count my kj intake versus projected expenditure over a day (8200 base to 11000 high intensity day), if you're more hardcore about it, also count all nutrients rather than energy

2.) WORK YOUR ASS OFF, don't train at less than 100% of body's ability (adjust if injured etc etc), mainly don't bs self into thinking you've worked hard just cos you were standing in a gym doing nothing for 2 hours. While intake ranks 1st in my opinion, to get a nice build, some excercise is necessary, i personally hate skinny fat/unfit.

3.) do something you enjoy (for me it was full time dance training (yoga, cross training, capoeira, gymnastics/circus, ballet, contemporary, occasional breaking as a pasttime)

with these three things in mind i changed my physicality over a year. While slightly chubby and strong, i became much stronger, fitter and leaner and didn't even lose more than 4 kilos over the entire process. For me, if i wanted to lose weight, i'd work on doing an energy debt of 200~500kj daily and keep in mind that the body was not going to respond as well without fuel/glycogen. Results come in about a month but are worth it and easy.

as a breakdown

16kj per g for carbs

17kj per g for protiens

29kj per g for alcohol

36kj per g for ANY fat (olive oil is a better fat/oil but still gives the body 36kj/g)

i say this cos i don't believe a gym is necessary to get in shape and is a large myth for youth culture. for hardcore trainers its good, but requires a lot of discipline and robs any enjoyment out of excercise. People should be fit for the joy of movement and health, and not feeling like its a chore that must be done.

Yes, but if you don't build any muscle, you will put all the weight back on when you stop.

not having a huge go at you lkt004, but you're gonna have to put SOME input into this conversation 1st before hamstringing my 2c.

fat will not be put back on if intake is balanced with output. Condition will degrade without continual training and some muscle tone will be replaced with fat which is MUCH more noticable if you've done weights training then stopped. hence why i recommend finding something enjoyable to give motivation where gains can be seen beyond the physicality (learning how to cartwheel/flip/aerial/get into splits is very cool in the getting fit process). Gym/weights wasn't my cup of tea and i couldn't find the motivation. i'm willing to say i've got a fair physicality and proprioceptive awareness of my body to do some cool stuff and it was all achieved without ever setting foot into a gym, ever!

its left field. but i don't think that this man's girl is looking to become miss july in the bodybuilder's calender, just to be a bit fitter in general

n.b one thing that's exceptionally hard to train without weights tho is shoulders i rkn, handstand pushups are the only way and they are a BITCH TO DO without cheating!!! :D

n.b2 more on intake control:

the upsize from regular to large fries is NOT worth the additional 4-5kilometres you'll have to move your body in order to return to equilibrium.

Water is king! fluid energy like juice is realistically unnecessary, diet sodas are accetable in my books, but more serious trainers will frown severely upon it.

Fibre is your friend, aim for 30+grams a day of true fibre, makes you feel full and satisfied whilst keeping your bowels healthy and regular, fuller=less likely to eat.

Lastly Coffee, pure, is dangerous but awesome! use responsibly, but forces muscles to twitch and body to burn energy faster along with the mental assistance that a caffiene hit will give! Some idiots will think meth would be an alternative but don't go down that path...

Question? Why do people let themselves get to this point? There's no fukn excuse, I see young girls in short shorts with cellulite and think they must think there hot.

Weight training is by far a better way to burn fat than cardio, after a good session at gym my bodies still working 3days later Tryin to repair, majority is diet, but I see it alot fat people staying fat, also once she loses it shell find it easy to get fat again as her fat cells will never go. Just the way the double choc chip cookie crumbles, rule one don't let it get to the fat point,

not having a huge go at you lkt004, but you're gonna have to put SOME input into this conversation 1st before hamstringing my 2c.

fat will not be put back on if intake is balanced with output. Condition will degrade without continual training and some muscle tone will be replaced with fat which is MUCH more noticable if you've done weights training then stopped. hence why i recommend finding something enjoyable to give motivation where gains can be seen beyond the physicality (learning how to cartwheel/flip/aerial/get into splits is very cool in the getting fit process). Gym/weights wasn't my cup of tea and i couldn't find the motivation. i'm willing to say i've got a fair physicality and proprioceptive awareness of my body to do some cool stuff and it was all achieved without ever setting foot into a gym, ever!

its left field. but i don't think that this man's girl is looking to become miss july in the bodybuilder's calender, just to be a bit fitter in general

n.b one thing that's exceptionally hard to train without weights tho is shoulders i rkn, handstand pushups are the only way and they are a BITCH TO DO without cheating!!! :D

n.b2 more on intake control: the upsize from regular to large fries is NOT worth the additional 4-5kilometres you'll have to move your body in order to return to equilibrium. Water is king fluids energy is realistically unnecessary, diet sodas are accetable in my books, but more serious trainers will frown severely upon it. Fibre is your friend, aim for 30+grams a day of true fibre, makes you feel full and satisfied whilst keeping your bowels healthy and regular, fuller=less likely to eat. Lastly Coffee, pure, is dangerous but awesome! use responsibly, but forces muscles to twitch and body to burn energy faster along with the mental assistance that a caffiene hit will give!

In regards to the chips, why would anybody that is trying to lose wieght, order a small chips, let alone a large one?

Here is a sure fire way that is proven:

Body weight into pounds, times that number X10 = number of calories you should be eating.

40% of those calories should come from protien, 30% from complex carbohydrates and 30% from essential fatty acids.

Do resistance training 3 days per week, HIIT cardio 1-2 times per week, 5 meals per day, thats 35 meals a week, if you can eat 32 perfect meals without cheating, you will get the figure you want.

n.b2 more on intake control: the upsize from regular to large fries is NOT worth the additional 4-5kilometres you'll have to move your body in order to return to equilibrium. Water is king fluids energy is realistically unnecessary, diet sodas are accetable in my books, but more serious trainers will frown severely upon it. Fibre is your friend, aim for 30+grams a day of true fibre, makes you feel full and satisfied whilst keeping your bowels healthy and regular, fuller=less likely to eat. Lastly Coffee, pure, is dangerous but awesome! use responsibly, but forces muscles to twitch and body to burn energy faster along with the mental assistance that a caffiene hit will give!

In regards to the chips, why would anybody that is trying to lose wieght, order a small chips, let alone a large one?

Here is a sure fire way that is proven:

Body weight into pounds, times that number X10 = number of calories you should be eating.

40% of those calories should come from protien, 30% from complex carbohydrates and 30% from essential fatty acids.

Do resistance training 3 days per week, HIIT cardio 1-2 times per week, 5 meals per day, thats 35 meals a week, if you can eat 32 perfect meals without cheating, you will get the figure you want.

WHOA, coffee makes muscles twitch? i struggle to see how that helps....

Re:ltk004

muscles expend energy with each twitch, its marginal but a clear usage of energy; i wouldn't recommend it for more than a mental placebo before a big physical event, but rather than flexing e-penii...

these are my experiences, from being a retarded fat slob in highschool/uni, to a moderately in shape person with some cool gym tricks but a layer to puppy fat, to professional dance training including units in anatomy, nutrition and dietetics; and being a semi-lean (too much muscle to be thin) homo :shades: .

i still get large fries in my offseason and come from a family with a GIGANTIC food culture! but i know that i have to train off whatever i ate which distinguises me from the prevailing trend in the mens side of my family.

i'm sure the topic starter will take what he will from the topic, i am trying to assist him and his g/f in their lifestyles as i feel like i've been down that road before and want others to believe they can improve for the long term too!

what is your reason for being in this thread?

Just ask a sports scientist, my best mate is one. If he can Lose 15kg in 5 weeks for a contest, she could lose more if she really wanted to but she prob doesn't have the mentality.. Anythings possible, I would never post a serious question regarding health on ns, just look at all ur diff answers from non qualified people ..... The end

Lol, he loses 15kg in five weeks, most of that is water in the final 2-3 days. You can only lose 500g of fat a week, anything else is muscle/ fluid. Lol @ unqualified.

Ok mate you no all I guess, just listen to this guy he's the best, what's wrong with non qualified? This site is full of shit, tell me about metabolic precision

I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I have no idea what metabolic precision is, but that doesn't make unqualified. Don't tell me you have a bachelor of health science?

i'm sincerely hoping that the mods come in and clean this thread up, this unfortunate post included :offtopic:

ffs put some more bloody training info up everyone, i've thrown in my noggin's experience, and i'd love more input and experiences from others!!

btw, protien to carb ratio is dependent upon the nature of the training, i can't claim to have all the precise answers, but i do know that carbs are required for instant access whilst protiens are for build/repair and not instantly accessible, to train without carbs will just cause more muscular damage and be less efficient than carbs+protiens.

Someone refine what i just said and give some solid figures, cos i haven't found the answer yet :(

Just ask a sports scientist, my best mate is one. If he can Lose 15kg in 5 weeks for a contest, she could lose more if she really wanted to but she prob doesn't have the mentality.. Anythings possible, I would never post a serious question regarding health on ns, just look at all ur diff answers from non qualified people ..... The end

You just lost all credibility (not that you had any to begin with) right there.

Lol I did help, I put up an easy way to lose weight and build muscle. You must have missed that. I feel no need to justify my qualifications to you. I must seem blunt as I'm on my iPhone and hate typing. All thf information has been covered 5000000 times.

A proper plan...

Routine:

Squats

Bench Press

Bent Row

Mil press

SLDL

Pullup/pulldown (most girls can't do pullups)

All 3 sets of 8-12, increase weight or reps each session.

Plan:

Mon - weights, high intensity complexes/interval training

Tue - low-med intensity cardio

Wed - weights, high intensity complexes/interval training

Thu - low-med intensity cardio

Fri - weights, high intensity complexes/interval training

High intensity conditioning examples:

Complexes - 15 db hang clean to press, 10 inverted rows, 10 pushups, 10 jumping lunges - no rest between exercises, repeat 3-5 times with 60 secs rest between complexes

HIIT - 3min medium pace/30 sec sprint intervals on exercise bike or rowing machine, suicide sprints in the park, etc

:quagmire:

Stuff weights get her to concentrate on cardio for now. She can hold dumbels while walking, swimming is the best

^ That there is one of the most stupid things that I have read in this section to date.

Please refrain from posting in this section again unless 'asking for advice'.

How the hell is it. That's your opinion. Everyone has a theory.

I stick with the theory that goin hard on cardio only is the best way.

Swimming is also one of the best weight loss exercises. What drugs are you people on u over complicate fitness

Cardio is a good way to lose but saying "stuff weights" is stupid and uninformed. There are a lot of scientific studies extolling the virtues of resistance training for fat loss and weight training just happens to be one of the best forms of resistance training.

Do 20 reps squats, fix diet, lose fat, get a great ass.

If u read right I implied stuff weights for now, just hit card as main priority.

It's a chick that can't seem to be losing weight for crying out loud, I'm not gonna tell her to go pump iron. Yes sone resistance training us good. SWIMMING is resistance training.

So if she isn't losing weight, I'd get her to do more cardio?? Simple.

Stuff weights get her to concentrate on cardio for now. She can hold dumbels while walking, swimming is the best

^ That there is one of the most stupid things that I have read in this section to date.

Please refrain from posting in this section again unless 'asking for advice'.

How the hell is it. That's your opinion. Everyone has a theory.

I stick with the theory that goin hard on cardio only is the best way.

Swimming is also one of the best weight loss exercises. What drugs are you people on u over complicate fitness

Cardio is a good way to lose but saying "stuff weights" is stupid and uninformed. There are a lot of scientific studies extolling the virtues of resistance training for fat loss and weight training just happens to be one of the best forms of resistance training.

Do 20 reps squats, fix diet, lose fat, get a great ass.

If u read right I implied stuff weights for now, just hit card as main priority.

It's a chick that can't seem to be losing weight for crying out loud, I'm not gonna tell her to go pump iron. Yes sone resistance training us good. SWIMMING is resistance training.

So if she isn't losing weight, I'd get her to do more cardio?? Simple.

Swimming is very low intensity resistance training, it hardly compares to weights and is better classed as cardio. Increasing muscle mass increases your metabolism and also recovery from high intensity resistance training takes a lot longer than cardio causing your body to burn more energy while you aren't even exercising. Stop being obtuse, get her to do cardio and resistance training, its a more efficient method of losing fat. :whack:

ok, lets clear some things up first.

1) There are MANY ways to lose WEIGHT - this should NOT be confused with FAT (ideally, the better goal)

2) ANY exercise, coupled with a calorie negative diet, in net terms, will equal weight loss. That is just pure and simple maths.

Where the pro-weights/resistance side is coming from is to gain a lasting and SUSTAINABLE result with respect to physique/appearance. Yes a whole bunch of jogging and swimming, with a calorie intake less than what is being burned will equal weight loss. You will ALSO experience greater MUSCLE loss, which in turn will make it harder to maintain the reduced weight and physique.

Losing 15kg in 5 weeks is a poor example to note as this is a) not desirable in the long term B) would result in even QUICKER weight GAIN if any semblance of normal eating resumes.

The reason a lot of us try to advocate a resistance program with a food plan that seems counter-intuitive (~30% fat) is that this will, on the balance of things, have the best chance to achieve the physique most people want AND allow one to retain that arguably for longer than other prescribed methods.

To the OP, with regards to regularity of training, hey every day is great (as long as you can be disciplined on the nutritional side) but 3 days a week was mentioned as a starting point.

But as has been pointed out many a time, whatever training/program you're on, just try and get her to do it 110%. That's what i found difficult with my gf is that she would get put off by me trying to push her a bit, not boot camp style, but just a bit of extra encouragement. This is obviously going to be different person to person, your gf might need you to give her a bit of a kick up the butt, but i've just settled with showing her the exercises and leaving it up to her.

Ideally, one of the best courses of action would be to go and see Markos for a program and food plan, but in reality he has very generously provided a lot of free material that you should be able to piece something together.

What sort of things would your gf eat on an average day? Be honest...

Fact: women usually never have the same motivation as men when it comes to such a strict training plan. If she read all this she would probably start crying.

Start off simple, don't get her into all this nitty gritty shit she will lose interest quick smart. Chicks love those fad aerobic classes, I think the latest craze is that Brazilian zumba shit.

However this bloke is training his GF and it sounds like he as already started so that hurdle has already been jumped.

Fact: my wife thinks Zumba is stupid.