Sign in to follow this  
DriftSpec33

G/F wants to lose weight but is confused

Question? Why do people let themselves get to this point? There's no fukn excuse, I see young girls in short shorts with cellulite and think they must think there hot.

Ok im sorry but wtf? You think everyone who may be overweight chooses for it to be that way? Dnt get me wrong some overweight ppl dont take care of themselves and thats the whole reason they're overweight. But:

32% of all overweight ppl have a genetic predisposition to obesity. A further 14% find it hard to lose weight due to suffering from diabetes.

Just because you may think the world should only be full of guys the size of schwarzenegger, and women who are the size of a twig, doesnt mean it is. Oh and celluite isnt a direct result of being fat. Its simply excess fatty cells in the legs.

There is no excuse for being fat, genetic predisposition, still will not make you fat, you still have to be lazy/ignorant/stupid to not realize your getting fat. Most cases of diabetes are CAUSED by people being overweight in the first place. Stop making excuses for people/yourself.

There is no excuse for being fat, genetic predisposition, still will not make you fat, you still have to be lazy/ignorant/stupid to not realize your getting fat. Most cases of diabetes are CAUSED by people being overweight in the first place. Stop making excuses for people/yourself.

Ok i just made those statistics up. They're probably not even true.

My point is tho, yes some people choose to have a sh*tty lifestyle which in turn makes the overweight. But the fact is, i'm sure you all know someone overweight, they might even be your best mate. Do you think of them differently for that? No.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. If you choose to live that sort of lifestyle. You'll be fat. If you choose to do something about it. Then great.

But don't act like you all judge people who are overweight.

This is what I did and it worked.

Monday

Weight training

Tuesday

HIIT Sprints (10sec sprint, 50sec walk and repeat 10 times)

Wednesday

Weight Training

Thursday

HIIT Sprints

Friday

Weight Training

Weight sessions where:

Squat 2x20 then Wed and Fri was 2x8

Bench 3x8

Bent Rows 2x8

Military Press 3x8

SLDL 3x10

Pulldowns 2x10

Curls 2x10

If she does this with correct eating, the fat will fall off of her.

Absolutely do not get her to just do cardio. It would be better to only do weights then only cardio.

Hope this helps.

Topic cleaned up, please refrain from posting if you have no clue. Weight loss methods need to take into account the long term effects, sacrificing muscle mass might look good on the scales in the short term, but will compound to more metabolic problems in the long term.

Monday

Weight training

Tuesday

Wednesday

Weight Training

Thursday

HIIT Sprints

Friday

Weight Training

Weight sessions where:

Bench 3x8

Bent Rows 2x8

Military Press 3x8

SLDL 3x10

Pulldowns 2x10

Curls 2x10

Absolutely do not get her to just do cardio. It would be better to only do weights then only cardio.

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest that HIIT sprints on non-weights days might be too much to start off with. She will already be sore from squatting and then backing that up with sprints the following day will be pretty hard. Sprinting after weights would be better as she would already be warmed up and then doing light cardio the following day would be active recovery.

My 2c. Thoughts?

Monday

Weight training

Tuesday

Wednesday

Weight Training

Thursday

HIIT Sprints

Friday

Weight Training

Weight sessions where:

Bench 3x8

Bent Rows 2x8

Military Press 3x8

SLDL 3x10

Pulldowns 2x10

Curls 2x10

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest that HIIT sprints on non-weights days might be too much to start off with. She will already be sore from squatting and then backing that up with sprints the following day will be pretty hard. Sprinting after weights would be better as she would already be warmed up and then doing light cardio the following day would be active recovery.

My 2c. Thoughts?

I have torn a hamstring by doing sprints after a squat session, might pay to do the first 2 weeks with a day off and then start adding in the interval training the next day, if you are putting the effort in every session there is no problem building up the number of sessions per week...

I also don't want to sound like I am saying you shouldn't do sprints after a squat session, just maybe not at first...

Monday

Weight training

Tuesday

Wednesday

Weight Training

Thursday

HIIT Sprints

Friday

Weight Training

Weight sessions where:

Bench 3x8

Bent Rows 2x8

Military Press 3x8

SLDL 3x10

Pulldowns 2x10

Curls 2x10

Hope this helps.

My 2c. Thoughts?

I have torn a hamstring by doing sprints after a squat session, might pay to do the first 2 weeks with a day off and then start adding in the interval training the next day, if you are putting the effort in every session there is no problem building up the number of sessions per week...

I also don't want to sound like I am saying you shouldn't do sprints after a squat session, just maybe not at first...

You'd be just as likely to tear it the following day if you don't stretch or warm-up properly. However I agree that it might be something to build up too but this will all depend on the individual.

I absolutely agree with building up to it.

The first time i did squats i did 2x20 with just the bar and i couldnt walk properly, let alone run, for 2 weeks lol.

Definitely ease into it.

Also i always do my sprints/running on grass or sand so that there is less impact on your ankles, knees etc.

Some of you asked what she eats, please see the below

[*]breakfast: 100g no fat yoghurt

[*]10am: plum

[*]12pm: 95g can tuna plus celery sticks

[*]2pm: banana plus 10 almonds

[*]4pm: carrot and sometimes a kiwifruit

[*]dinner: 120g of steak, fish, chicken, pork or lamb (BBQ) plus salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, with 1 tablespoon dressing and sometimes either 1/2 avocado or 30g feta)

[*]incidentals: 2 coffee (water based with dash milk and no sugar), peppermint and green tea (2 of each), 2 litres of water

[*]snack if hungry on top of above: 50g shaved ham or turkey

[*]alcohol: NO

[*]Note: on days she does weights she has a boiled egg for breakfast also

current exercise:

[*]Monday: run stairs (up fast, down slow, - as many sets as she can) then 1/2 hour power walk (note: stairs = large incline stairs - 4 sets of about 15 stairs with 20m incline path in between - as mentioned earlier, she does as many sets of these as she can then power walks (uphill) home.

[*]Tuesday: Dead lifts, squats, lunges, calf raises and abs

[*]Wednesday: interval training on rower (programme provided by female rugby player involving 110m rowing in short period of time with 20 sec recovery - done 5 times and then 2 min break and repeat as many times as can).

[*]Thursday: Military press, bench press, pull down, push up and triceps' dip, plus abs

[*]Friday: off

[*]Saturday: legs or upper body (see Tuesday or Thursday) - one week do two legs, next week two upper body, plus abs

[*]Sunday: off

She now tries to eat 1200 - 1400 calories per day and is only getting her carbs from fruit and vegetables. She would like to lose 1kg per week. Doesn't know much about this as has always been thin (until recently) and has never had to train or curb food intake. She really wants to lose fat and maintain lean muscle and is worried that heavy weights might make her chunky - she would value any input in relation to the above eating/exercise regime.

P.S. she wrote this - she is telling the full truth (yes, she let herself go before but she is seriously putting effort into doing something about it now). She would really appreciate any comments and thanks those who have already posted constructive advice.

Isn't the calorie level a little low? Although it depends on her weight...

As long as she's eating when she's hungry and not starving herself :)

The breakfast doesn't look the best. Why not oatmeal or egg + bacon or similar?

Otherwise the diet looks pretty good.

The diet & training look reasonable, I'd personally aim for full body workouts Tuesday/Thursday and mix it up a little.

Although if what she has now works then stay with it for a while:

[*]Tuesday: Dead lifts, bench press, lunges, calf raises and abs

[*]Thursday: Squats, Military press, , pull down, push up and triceps' dip, plus abs

I'd personally drop the "abs" if that is isolation work. If the motivation is there, squat twice a week, and bench or deadlift twice a week as well.

Although to be honest, it looks very motivated and well thought out so far. I would be focusing on maintaining this level of motivation.

You could consider some Olympic movements like power clean (and push press or jerk) / high pull's or similar, but I'm unsure if that's possible.

Thanks CS Student

I'm am interested in you explaining the reasoning and benefits behind mixing upper body and lower body and doing them together on the same day?

Thanks CS Student

I'm am interested in you explaining the reasoning and benefits behind mixing upper body and lower body and doing them together on the same day?

It's probably because I train at PTC.

My views reflect that of Markos in a way, I like newsletters like The training edition , the definite guide to fat loss and body recomposition , 10 GREATEST FITNESS/STRENGTH MYTHS

Note, on that last one, no8 is only achieved by serious training and a very low body fat level, it won't just "happen", just like lifting weights doesn't turn a guy into Ronnie Coleman :)

In regard to squats, they're the king of all excercises and add muscle/burn a lot of calories so that's why I mentioned them in particular. Powerclean's also burn quite a few colories, must more when combined with a push press / military press / jerk.

I believe the body recovers as a whole, therefore isolating one section of it is not the fastest way to get stronger / fitter / leaner in my opinion.

I switched from upper/lower body mix to whole body and got stronger much quicker. I also preferred the workouts once I adapted to them.

Furthermore, doing things like a difficult military press session followed by bench press can be very difficult. Your hitting some of the same muscles so one will effect the other...

Just my opinion :)