Sign in to follow this  
schmenz

Gym Classes vs DIY

Hey guys,

The past few months I have been hitting the gym. Now the gym I go to is cheap because it doesnt offer classes.

When I go, depending on the mood I am in I will either do some cardio or hit the weights - which as a woman can be intimidating!

What I am wondering though is if these 'classes' that some gyms run are more beneficial to losing weight/toning up (currently would like to be a size 8 all over again, not being 8 in some clothes or 10 in others). Does it provide more motivation going to classes? obviously it pushes you harder - but how hard are they (like Body Combat, Body Attack NOT ZUMBA)?

I am unfortunately one of those people who like the idea of things but aren;t always motivated. I had never had to worry about my weight until the past year or so, could eat whatever I wanted and never put on weight...

So yeah, if anyone can provide some insight into this that would be great! I honestly know nothing about what Im doing, LOL I eat healthy and attempt the cardio for weight loss and weights for strength and see how I go most of the time!

- the other issue is that I have a dodgy hip, so cant run on treadmills because I get sharp pains in it :(

classes are good for motivation, and once you get into a routine you will probably commit to them more.

As far as how "hard" they are, they are probably not going to challenge any atheletes however for they average person, they more than suffice. The other thing to note is, you can set your own pace to a large degree, as you get fitter you will go harder.

I would still incorperate weights into your regime. It never ceases to amaze me, the girls with the best bodies in the gym are constantly doing squats, overhead press, lunges and other weighted movements.. when are they going to connect the dots.

Cheers for that!

I never did weights when I started, then thought why the hell not, I focus on my legs mainly and my strength has improved heaps, having muscle is good, LOL!

hey!

I teach rpm, attack, combat, pump and jam (sorry, not a fan of zumba) - and if you want a tuff workout - try attack or rpm.

it all comes down to the instructor really as to how motivated you get, and if you get off on the style of class.

i lost stacks of weight (bak 2 size 8 now) from just doin' attack and rpm. the more effort you put in, the more u get out of it - and i think its better than just running on a tready or x-trainer (but thats jus me!).