Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

Neil's FD3S Sprint Car

Competed at Oakey Sprints on 4-5 May, hit a tyre bundle first run and bent up the front end. Managed to patch it up and fix the boost leaks enough to finish the weekend though. Of 142 competitors I ended up first in class (registered 3000-4000cc), fastest registered car, but a bit disappointed at only 28th overall.

166033_10151632678328210_1620714822_n.jpg

182571_10151637487013210_954547239_n.jpg

374984_10151635961053210_1835490480_n.jpg

I didn't have much time to repair the car before the next event so I had all the broken mounts plastic welded, sourced a new silicon IC joiner, rivetted some aluminium to the front bar to hold it together, and got a fresh wheel alignment (was all waaay out of spec).

Last weekend I competed in Round 2 of the QLD-NSW Sprint Challenge at Carnell Raceway. Had more problems though, lost the nut off a castor rod (luckily identified it before any serious damage), lost a swaybar link bolt, and 3 of my manifold to turbo bolts (never had any problems before, I thought I was immune!). I pulled out early and finished 4th in Sports Sedans class and 15th overall of 93 competitors.

I've now got some decisions about what I want to do with the car as I feel it needs a bit of an overhaul after the past 2.5 years of being very reliable so watch this space.

Zomg how can I help!?

Buy my SR :shades:

Stanthorpe council is being a PITA so we might only have 1 more round of sprints there this year. I could drive the 86 in Improved Production at the last round since I'm not in overall class contention anyway, so that potentially gives me 7 months to do something with the car.

Great stuff Neil. I'd lost track of how you were going. Great to see you back out there racing and doing a better job than me!

What are enough planning engine wise?

Nice build man. Good work. What gearbox you running? And what gears?

Running the standard SR gearbox and 4.36 diff gears (I think, have been meaning to check).

I've just got to weigh up what my current gear is worth vs the cost of moving to new running gear (and how much I can save over that 7 months to do it). I'm thinking something with more low down torque for the tight tracks I run, less turbo/boost/intercooler issues.

Yes LS2/98/76 is what I'd like to do, I've just got to plan it out to make sure I'm not going end up short on funds. Have you done a cost list for your planned one?

Keep it as standard and simple as you can. You will have far more longer term fun and enjoy the reliability then changing everything.

Keep it as standard and simple as you can. You will have far more longer term fun and enjoy the reliability then changing everything.

He speaks the truth. Going too far can often end with regret. Be sure of what you want.

On another note; welcome back Matt... if you went anywhere in the first place!

This already happened.

IMAG0372.jpg

Won't be installed for a while though. It needs to be re-assembled and I'll take the opportunity to put in aftermarket valvetrain, shave the heads, rod bolts, new accessories, pulleys, etc. I'll accumulate other conversion bits over time and install next year.

Make sure you update us on the process and cost mate. I'd be keen to see.

Adding up the costs might be scary in the long run. So far just $1000 for the l76 engine and $250 for ls1 loom.

I've kept a running cost via excel spreadsheet of my build... sometimes I wish I didn't!!! Ignorance is bliss :)

Haha, so do I but I don't feel as bad about it because the previous owner spent quite a bit. It's nudging 39k + original purchase price.

L98? 2 things:

1: get the crank machined so it can run a keyway to stop the balancer spinning off/ after market balancer

2: but the best sump you can afford.

Cheers Blingy. It's an l76 but I was going to replace a lot of the valve train anyway so it will become an L98. Will have a Moroso sump too.

I've still got a swag of engine bits to purchase but I jumped the gun and picked up a T56 at a good price.

I'm agonising a bit with what to do next. I'm hesitant cutting up such a clean low kms car for engine conversion, cage, removing aircon, etc so I'm considering starting afresh with a rolling shell. I haven't quite decided yet.

Mate, learn from myself and Jayson. Starting with a shell for a project is a lot of work. Modding a working car is do much easier compared to starting from scratch.

I'm agonising a bit with what to do next. I'm hesitant cutting up such a clean low kms car for engine conversion, cage, removing aircon, etc so I'm considering starting afresh with a rolling shell. I haven't quite decided yet.

Because its a street car that hesitancy will always be there. Once you make the decision to take it off the road then you attitude will change completely- mine did. I'd spent just on 50k when i took mine off the road. I look back on it now and wonder why it took me so long to shed the "street car" mentality i what the hell i'd spent all that coin on. I've essentially only kept the suspension and diff, rest has had some change somewhere.

Do it, you'll never look back!!!

Mate, learn from myself and Jayson. Starting with a shell for a project is a lot of work. Modding a working car is do much easier compared to starting from scratch.

Depends what your goals are. If i did it again, id start with a shell soooooooo much easier you then just add what you need

Depends how bare it is to begin with. The engine conversion is going to be a lot of work either way, but changing coilovers, suspension arms, diff etc are all quick enough.

I do feel that I won't be game enough to do door-to-door racing with my current street reg shell for the reasons that Simon pointed out.

Scotty speaks the truth, but lets look at it from a different perspective.

You have your current S14 you can race while you build the other one???? It's worked pretty well for me and then when the new one is ready you can swap what bits you want over.

Don't have enough dosh for that Jase, but I can compete with the 86 in the meantime.

It depends if I can get enough for my S14 to make it worthwhile. Something like http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/2248126-1993-Nissan-Silvia-S13-20t-for-Sale.html is already caged and just needs an engine, existing parts could be sold off to build with the parts I want.

See how you go with seat height and the sun roof though on that one. The 86 is a lot of money to put into the wall though.

I can sell you a sil80, it won't help your situation one bit but it would make me happy! :P

Sign in to follow this