Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

Neil's FD3S Sprint Car

I wouldn't run the 86 in street sprints but Carnell Raceway is low risk.

Ok so my decision was to keep the S14, collect LS parts until I've got what I need and do the conversion then (maybe late next year) to minimise time off the track.

For now the priority is to get the car ready for my event in 2 weeks time, and for short circuit racing next year.

In the past week I've done/had mechanics do:

Turbo manifold machines and new gaskets

GKTech knuckles with 324mm caliper adaptors

DBA Slotted 324mm rotors

GKTech catch can

GKTech RUCAs

GKTech traction rods

GKTech eccentric lockout bolts

GKTech Camber/castor strut plates

GKTech bash plate

Final Konnexion front bar

Still to do:

Oil changes

Wheel alignment

Wrap new front bar black

New pads (Hawk DTC60/HT10)

GKTech engine fan

For next year I need:

6pt CAMS roll cage

New tyres (Hankook Z221 255/40/17)

Weight reduction

I'm still about, just haven't been taking many progress pictures worth posting.

Progress on the s14:

- Got a car trailer so let rego lapse

- Put it in for a full roll cage, which is so far half done after 3 months

- Bought some Michelin 25/54/18 slicks and put them on 18x9.5 Rotas

- Fitted Hawk DTC60/HT10 pads

- OMP 6 point harness

I missed my first event of the SCMSA comp due to the car being at the fabricators, but I asked for it back with just a 4 point done to compete at the QSSSSS B Series on the weekend just gone. I had a wheel alignment done as the prior one from the end of last year was way off. They still couldn't quite get it to where I wanted as one of the castor rods is seized so was limited to about 6.5 degrees, and I'm out of adjustment on one camber top at 3 degrees (wanted 4). Handling still felt great on the weekend, although I might try reduced front toe-out next event (back down to 0-1mm rather than 3mm). Will also look at extending the LCA by 10-15mm to get the extra degree of camber.

Morgan Park was fantastic to drive, we were on the 1.5km Circuit D (4 timed laps). I should have been more organised and gotten down early on Friday to take advantage of the $30 afternoon open practice. At least I would have know the track layout better on Saturday! Anyway, I just ran my old semis for Sat to learn the track (which are still amazingly grippy), and the new Hawk pads were outstanding. I blew a cooler pipe on the 2nd run, but luckily it was an easy fix (still the same dodgy pipe I crushed at Oakey Sprints last year). By the 5th run I was starting to increase speed significantly.

Unfortunately Sunday was rained out so I didn't get to try my full slicks or get any video. I'll be more prepared for the next event at the end of May (that's what I say after every event).

Coming up:

- 6 pole isolator switch

- New battery (probably 1.1kg SSB Lithium)

- Finish roll cage

- Fix duct-taped intercooler piping

- Replace castor rod

- Aftermarket steering wheel and quick release (to make access easier with the full cage)

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Love the trailer, where did you get that?

It's from 666 Racing, who have since closed down.

Haha, so you know of him. You probably know more than me, all I'd heard was that he got the shits, fired all his staff, and closed the doors.

I know of another guy in Toowoomba who has the same trailer. The tyre rack snapped the welds while driving, bounced forwards then back onto the bonnet. I'm not using mine until it gets some more reinforcement.

f**ker! They told me 2-3 weeks and it took 2 months. He drove it out to me in Toowoomba when it was finally finished.

Yeah bit more to the story than that so it seems.

I had Round 2 of the SCMSA Sprints this weekend at Morgan Park (as there's still legal issues at Carnell Raceway). I didn't have a good start to the weekend with the car failing to fire up on Sat morning, the external fuel pump (Bosch 044) had just died overnight. After a few hours I was able to source a replacement Aeroflow equivalent and luckily I had it sorted just after lunch just in time to join the end of the second run.

I ran my 3yo NT01s for the first run then put on my used Michelin N1 slicks for the rest of the weekend. They take a little to get warmed up and they're not as fast outright as soft semi-slicks, but for $400 a set they do alright. I started to put down some decent laps by Sunday with a 2:52 (4 lap total) on Run 6, Run 7 times weren't available before I left.

Here's a few pics and a vid of my run 6.

Michelin 25/64-18 slicks

DSC_0166_zpse560e355.jpg

New steering wheel and quick release

DSC_0169_zps0d4fc3ba.jpg

Lithium battery

DSC_0171_zps802063c4.jpg

6 point cage with door bars

DSC_0175_zps6b7142a2.jpg

Window net

DSC_0167_zps64cb3004.jpg

Run 6. It's funny how different the engine revs sound on video, like your putting around at 3000-5000rpm.

http://youtu.be/pIO5CifHmCQ

Next weekend I'm back at Morgan Park for the B Series sprints (2.1km track this time). I've just got some minor issues to address and I'm aiming to do the practice session Friday afternoon so I can learn the track beforehand rather than during timed runs. I'll try to find a better position for the camera that I can still reach while strapped in, and hook up an external mic.

I was back at Morgan Park this weekend for the QSSS Round 2. This time on Circuit E (original 2.1km circuit) which was a hoot.

I went down on Friday to get some practice laps in and learn the circuit. Unfortunately I blew an intercooler hose on the first run, fixed that, then really boiled the engine about 6 laps into the next run. The engine continued to use about a litre of water and drain the overflow each run. It wasn't getting very hot when full and not blowing any smoke so I'll have to investigate further.

Rain interrupted Saturday afternoon but Sunday weather was great. I sat out the wet round so did 6 for the weekend (3 laps each). Times were pretty consistent with a best lap of 1:12.002 and best total time 3:40.285. I need to drop about 1.5 seconds a lap and get a better launch to be competitive. I finished 3rd in Sports Sedans and about 20th overall.

Cornering speed was really holding back my times. I'm currently only running 3 degrees front camber and was really rolling over the outside of the tyres. Camber tops are maxed and I don't have any spring clearance to adjust at the knuckles, so I'll get the LCAs extended 10mm to gain an extra degree which would be more ideal for slicks and soft semis. Then add a front splitter and soft the rear.

On the to-do list before the next event (end of July):

Cooling system pressure & CO2 tests

Remove Nismo thermostat and install standard thermostat

1.3bar radiator cap

Install GKTech engine fan

Remove air-con condensor and pump

Cold-start tune

Isolator switch wiring

Or it may also go:

Cooling system pressure & CO2 tests

Remove warped SR20

Buy semis for the 86

Save for LS conversion

Good stuff - any reason for swapping back to the oem thermostat?

I would imagined nismo thermo would be beneficial if you are racing the car?

The car runs too cold for short sprints, it starts at 65 and barely gets up to 75 by the end.

I had various tests done on the engine and luckily it just showed up a faulty radiator cap! I had actually bought one from Repco on the first day and ran it a bit of the Saturday, but then was concerned that it was only a low pressure cap so swapped it back.

Oakey Sprints weekend is done. Final times aren't released yet but I'm a bit disappointed I didn't push the car to it's potential. That's the challenge on a street circuit surrounded by poles, gutters and concrete, it rewards skillful drivers who know their car's limits. I'm the first to admit that's not me, but I still enjoy myself. It's also frustrating being off-boost out of the main corners, if only I had a different diff ratio for each track I run!

I was still losing about 1L of water per run, but I have managed to spot a coolant leak underneath the turbo so I'll get that sorted this week. LCAs have been extended 15mm so I was able to get 4 degrees camber up front. The new Hankook Z221 C70 didn't perform to their potential without a prior scrubbing in or heat cycle, I was able to post equal times with my 3yo Nittos :S

Morgan Park full circuit next weekend :)

http://youtu.be/9VnkISkbmxk

I'm keen to have a run down the quarter but don't think I'll have the time in the next few months.

I'm keen to have a run down the quarter but don't think I'll have the time in the next few months.

Ahh spewin, I'm trying to get as many Silvia's out there as I can.

Out to Warwick today for practice on the Morgan Park full (3km) circuit. I heat cycled my new Z221 softs, then changed over to my old Michelin slicks (these feel garbage in comparison). Unfortunately a few laps in my bottom end had a catastrophic failure (picture smoke like a Summernats burnout champion) and that's the end of my SR20. It served me well relatively trouble-free for 3 years.

SR20 parts sell off coming soon.

Where do you get those used slicks for $400 a set?

What size and how used are we talking?

I think they were off gumtree or ebay. They've probably got 2/3 tread left but they're pretty poor for grip, bulk understeer. My Hankooks are far better so I don't think I'll bother driving on the Michelins again as they're not much use even for practice.

Ahh OK, thought you might have had a regular contact for them.

I don't "need" tyres just yet, but know there's better options than my RS-Rs and I have a time goal in mind.

I think my other tyre choices have been good so I'll probably get another set of NT01s for practice, then put on the Hankook softs for the final few runs.

How far off completion is the L98?

It's been stripped but still needs to be sent off for machining (my mechanic has three LS engines to send). I've got a Fidanza aluminium flywheel, Powerbond balancer, aftermarket pistons, cams/springs/retainers, and just waiting on a Mcleod twin plate clutch to arrive so that it can all be balanced together. Once that expense is sorted I'll order the conversion kit and look for a gearbox.

I'm still hoping to have it completed for the start of next year, but I've been dragging my feet on stripping out the SR20 and selling off bits because I've been busy finishing off the house.

I've been busy finishing off the house.

Ha.................I've been trying to finish off my house for god knows how long now lol. :)

Sign in to follow this