Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

Neil's FD3S Sprint Car

Nice house. Seen the exterior before in some of your earlier photos but never inside or the view. Staying in Toowoomba?

Edited by K-Style

Sounds like a good reason to move then!

Good shed sorted :D 12x7.5m plus double garage on the house

image15.jpg

Yeah pretty similar. Probably not tall enough for a hoist but I'll put a tape measure over it when we move in and see.

I didn't realise it'd been so long since I updated this thread. We moved into our new house in December, spent the summer doing bits and pieces around the place including getting the shed sorted. Can't fit a hoist unfortunately due to the trusses height and spacing.

Car has progressed slowly but is starting to pick up pace. I pulled out the SR at Christmas and discovered a sizeable hole in the block. My mechanic pulled off the head just this week and discovered that a rod punched through a piston and into valves. I've just started stripping out the wiring (will rewire from scratch) and sound deadening.

My mechanic had my 6L rebored & hone, forged pistons & rods fitted, crank reground & polished, and all balanced with my McLeod twin plate clutch and Fidanza flywheel. Heads have had 40thou removed and we ordered the cam this week (237/250@0.050" 113LC 0.613/0.613 lift), and fingers crossed it'll all be assembled in the next few weeks. I've ordered a Canton winged & baffled sump to suit the conversion, the rest (mounts, headers, etc) my mechanic is going to fabricate in-house. Also have a Tremec TR6060 gearbox lined up.

Next for me is painting the interior and doing the body wiring. Then the shell can be dropped off for mounts, tailshaft, headers, etc.

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

DSC_0593.JPG

DSC_0597small.jpg

Similar, I had some Epotec 370 kits left over from doing my business premises, bought a couple of bottles of flakes, and added 2 coats of Poly U400 clear for good measure.

Well I'm still waiting on my mechanic to assemble the engine. I got distracted in the meantime and couldn't resist picking up a sexier body to slot the engine into.

It's missing a lot of bits but does have

CAMS cage

Samberg LS crossmember

T56 box with Ripshift

Surge tank & external pump

FEED widebody guards

Stripped & a bit hacked up

Plus a few other bits I'll replace anyway like OMP seat, Tein HA coilovers & polycarb rear window

IMG_6908small.jpg

IMG_6891small.jpg

IMG_6887small.jpg

IMG_6886small.jpg

Thats sick!

Is an sr going in there?

That'd be sacrilege to put a Nissan engine in a Mazda!

I'll do a Chev 6L instead :D

Nice. Atmo or forced?

Thought a 2J may have been on the cards!

Well I'm still waiting on my mechanic to assemble the engine. I got distracted in the meantime and couldn't resist picking up a sexier body to slot the engine into.

It's missing a lot of bits but does have

CAMS cage

Samberg LS crossmember

T56 box with Ripshift

Surge tank & external pump

FEED widebody guards

Stripped & a bit hacked up

Plus a few other bits I'll replace anyway like OMP seat, Tein HA coilovers & polycarb rear window

i know of some one selling a 2J for FD RX7

comes with cross member and every thing

it will come with every thing needed for you to bolt this into your car

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=517026

That's pretty sweet for a street or drag car, but the LS combo gives the FD a 50/50 weight balance and I've already got 90% of the parts required.

My L98 will stay atmo, Sports Sedans class has a 6000cc limit.

What category and class are you running in? How much power will it make?

I'll be in Sports Sedans class, some of the street sprints run different classes but pretty much whichever the unrestricted class is. It's not close to being a proper Sports Sedan, but that's really the only step up from Improved Production.

It'll be making around 330rwkw, I'd need to spend some serious dollars on headwork and intake to get beyond that.

Should be enough power to make it a handful. Will sound like a machine to boot!

Just trying to plan out wheel & tyre sizes while I wait for some other parts to arrive. As sweet as the Meister above look, they stick a fair amount outside the guards so won't work with decent rubber, and they're now for sale.

I've still got a few sets of rims from the S14:

- 4x Enkei RPF1s 17x9+22 with 255/40/17 Nitto NT01 (well used)

- 4x Rays Gramlights 17x9+22 with 255/40/17 Hankook Z221 (near new)

- 4x Rota GR6-2a 18x9.5+20 with 24/65/18 Michelin slicks (pretty old)

Having the same tyres on each corner gave me great life out of my Nitto NT01s, but I don't think my current 255s will be sufficient with the new combination. I can fit 10-11" rims under the FD easily enough, so I'm considering what the new combination might be.

Option A -

Front & Rear: 18x10" with 275/35/18 Hankook Z214 or Nitto NT01

Option B -

Front & Rear: 18x10.5" with 295/30/18 Hankook Z221

Option C -

Front: 18x9.5" with 275/35/18 NT01

Rear: 18x11" with 305/35/18 NT01

Pics with the 18x9.5+20 wheels & slicks. The fronts are a pretty good fit but the rears still have 30mm to the guards. FDs struts are well inboard compared to the S chassis too so they'll clear a lot more positive offsets (up to +40 to +50). Something around 18x10.5+30 would work well with 25mm spacers on the rear.

DSC_0210small.jpg

DSC_0198small.jpg

That'd be the ideal. The problem isn't fitment, more so the price difference!

Whats the price of each option?

The wheels would be quite similar, the tyres would be the big difference i imagine.

275 NT01s are just under $300, 295 Z221s closer to $600.

The performance out of the hankooks would be way better. Would be a second or two difference surely. Do it and worry about the cost later!

Sign in to follow this