Sign in to follow this  
radism

Lower Back Strain - Routine required

Hi all,

i've got a lower back strain from over exertion (playing too much basketball - 4 times a week, lifting weights 4 times a week, not doing any cross training). My physio's got me to do a couple of swimming sessions a week as a cross-training routine (and to be honest, i did the first session just this past weekend, and my knees and legs felt fresher than they have in years).

but at the same time, i'm plateauing with my weights routine.

i've decided to switch my routine up and do a bulking routine cycle for 4-6 weeks.

i've got a friend who's quite knowledgeable and he's recommended i get into german volume training. looks painful, but i'm committed.

only thing is, physio's specified that i dont do any excercises that require a lifting motion which is supporting by my lower back. so i cant do deadlifts, hang cleans, standing curls, or lateral raises.

been doing wide-grip pullups, wide-grip seated rows, and wide-grip lat pulldowns for a while so i want to change out of them. i'm going to do reverse pushups on the smithmachine, but i need a couple more excercises for my back as i dont want to risk cramping and injury as i up the weights and intensity on my chest and shoulders with this german volume training.

appreciate it guys.

Your physio is an idiot. The reason you will always have a sore back is because you will always have a weak back due to not training it.

I bulged a disc and pinched a nerve in my back last August. Couldn't walk properly for about a month. I took some time off lifting and saw an osteo for about 5 weeks. Once my back felt semi alright, i started deadlifting again to fix my back. By November i had already deadlifted 200kg again. Now my back is 100% probably as strong as it was before as i pulled a easy 230kg a few weeks back.

In my opinion, unless your back is totally f**ked, which would mean u wouldn't be squatting anyway, you need to do some exercises that directly target the lower back. Start off very light if you're worried and just do high reps and work your way up. It may hurt at first and feel like you're going to hurt it but that's just because you have a weak lower back.

Well it depends on what exactly the problem is, he might need to just rest it for a a few weeks, maybe do some foam rolling and mobility work.

If you want work your legs without putting to much strain on your back you might also want to look at doing some sled/prowler work or try pulling and pushing a car.

This sort of exercise is also good with all the running and jumping your doing as it is mostly concentric only work and will allow you to recover much much quicker.

All that being said, most lower back problems are either caused by weakness in the lower back/abdominals or by some sort or imbalance in the area that needs to be addressed.

Have you ever pushed or pulled a car, it smashes your back....

many many times (I owned a V8 commodore), and while it does put some strain on your back done properly nowhere near as hard on your lower back as a heavy squat or deadlift session.

1. Get a physio who has a clue. If the dont lift weights dont use them.

2. Find out exactly what is wrong with your back. A detailed description of the injury.

3. Learn how to squat and deadlift properly and do both often.

4. If you cant squat or dead properly do mobility work until you can.

I've done my back a few times and have a few compressed discs and pinched nerves. Sitting on the couch doing nothing is honestly the worst thing for it. My back feels at its abosolute best about 9pm on a friday after heavy deadlifts, good mornings and reverse hypers.

Your physio is an idiot. The reason you will always have a sore back is because you will always have a weak back due to not training it.

I bulged a disc and pinched a nerve in my back last August. Couldn't walk properly for about a month. I took some time off lifting and saw an osteo for about 5 weeks. Once my back felt semi alright, i started deadlifting again to fix my back. By November i had already deadlifted 200kg again. Now my back is 100% probably as strong as it was before as i pulled a easy 230kg a few weeks back.

In my opinion, unless your back is totally f**ked, which would mean u wouldn't be squatting anyway, you need to do some exercises that directly target the lower back. Start off very light if you're worried and just do high reps and work your way up. It may hurt at first and feel like you're going to hurt it but that's just because you have a weak lower back.

STANDARD MEMBER.

Yeah i did sorta the same to my lower disc after I had ear surgery when i wasn't allowed to train for 2 months, I headed straight back to dead lifts & attempted 140kg lift, when i last did my dead lift i managed 160kg x6, 2 months later and lack of training caused 140kg to compress a disc & strain the shit out of my lower back, then i continued to dead lift a week later & barely managed to do 80kg with immense pain. Dead lifts is seriously dangerous & must be developed slowly over time. so start at 40kg lifts for one session, then move onto 60kg another session & so on, but all high 12 reps. Only really to need to see a doctor if you cant walk, usually your body will re-align natural.

STANDARD MEMBER.

Yeah i did sorta the same to my lower disc after I had ear surgery when i wasn't allowed to train for 2 months, I headed straight back to dead lifts & attempted 140kg lift, when i last did my dead lift i managed 160kg x6, 2 months later and lack of training caused 140kg to compress a disc & strain the shit out of my lower back, then i continued to dead lift a week later & barely managed to do 80kg with immense pain. Dead lifts is seriously dangerous & must be developed slowly over time. so start at 40kg lifts for one session, then move onto 60kg another session & so on, but all high 12 reps. Only really to need to see a doctor if you cant walk, usually your body will re-align natural.

STOP POSTING CRAP YOU f**king IDIOT.

/sorry about caps.

yeah i was going to say, i'm not going to take any of movieboy's advice there.

went and tried to deadlift 140kg's after 2months off? body will naturally re-align your spine?

lol believe it or not, your body does heal over time

All i mean is i agree with kellykinez. do high reps low weight for deadlifts

Actually let me retract what i said. I don't actually like high reps for deadlift, unless your advance lifter and/or have a strong back, as i believe form goes out the window too much after 5 reps. I meant high volume. So do no more than 5 reps but do more sets. So instead of doing eg. 120kg 3 sets x 10reps, do 120kg 6 sets x 5reps, you get the exact same volume but i believe is safer on the back.

If you've got access to kettlebells for UDL's or a trapbar deadlift, i believe they are a lot safer option if you want to do high reps.