Sign in to follow this  
Rex_Kelway

Cheese grating yourself on the road...

Alright lads and lasses?

Rex is sitting at home injured and bored senseless so He thought he indulge in a little rambling about His first crash...

Firstly, Rex is not new to bikes, while He may be fresh to his road license, He has a reasonable amount of trackday experience.

Rex's been using a regular trial bike for a while as a daily commuter but on this occasion He decided to use His old man's RGV. For those who dont know the RGV, They're a very light and aggressive bike, far happier on the track than the road.

Powering out of the corner and onto the main road Rex couldn't help but storm the two stroker through the first two and a half gears.

Rex doesnt buy the 'creepers' arguement. He's of the opinion that its innattention that leads to most road accidents. Also IRHO its far more dangerous to accelerate with your eyes squarely on the speedo, not the road.

Having a suspicion He may have a tad over the speed limit, He reached for the lever to wash off a little speed and get back down to 60kph. What happened next happend ten times faster than you can read it.

Brake lever,

Wheel lock,

Bike down,

Slide.

Rex's half writing this just so can resolve the ideas in His head, so it'll sound like unstructured ramblings...

What had happened; Rex simply got on an unfamiliar bike and pulled the front brake the tiniest fraction harder than the cold front tyre could muster the traction for. Completely His fault but also completely understandable.

He went down hard on the His right side, as if thrown down. Shoulder and forearm took the initial force, eyes wide open He can clearly see the moment the side of His head touches the road. Time has slowed down, Rex can almost make out the individual stones in the road surface while sliding over them at just over 60kph. Out of the visor He can also see the bike on its side spinning off down the road. Then He starts to tumble down the road. Strangely time is so slow He actually has time to be slightly relieved that tumbling means the worst of the scraping is over.

All the time this is going on He's fully aware of what's going on, continually rolling thoughts of multiple things like; Hoping the bike doesn't hit anyone else, Being heartbroken He's just dropped his Dad's bike and not least of all that even without the the slightest pain His flesh must be being torn open...

Your body's fight/flight mechanism is an amazing thing. For those who dont know its a product of evolution from our earlier days thousands of years ago where being killed, severly wounded and/or eaten were daily risks.

Super basic, what happens is that your body very quickly pumps itself with massive quantities of chemicals and hormones, like adrenaline, some natural pain-killers etc... Your blood is restricted from the outer layers to minimise any potential bleeding while being forced into the inner organs and muscles prepairing you to either run or fight for your very survival.

So, Rex is nearing the end of His is human cheese-grater impression and and is back up on His feet and razor sharp and pumped with energy before He's even stopped moving. Get off the road, No.1 Get the bike out of the way, No.2...

Firstly the surprising thing is the complete lack of any pain, no pain at all. Rex can clearly replay the entire scenario as if it were on DVD frame by frame. Picks the bike up immediately.

Rex feels just fine, some torn clothes and a few grazed knuckles. A nice man is talking with Him, asking Rex if He's fine and does He need some help. Like He said Rex feels just fine.

Bike seems fine, brake lever is broken but still works, various ground fairings and parts on the side. Starts first kick.

Being so close to home its just a short ride, around 1km or so.

Rex walks into the old-mans house and shows him the damage to the helmet and its clear what's just happened. After some banter as to how it happened Rex removes his jumper and the full extent of his injuries is revealed. Major grazing to all four limbs and a 100mm long 8mm deep tearing gouge (not a neat cut) from on the outer of His forearm. Everyone else can see it, but it's in such a spot that Rex cannot get a good look himself, can only see the tip.

It's been about 15 minutes and by this time the fight/flight response has faded and the pain is starting to set in, He's feeling, sick, faint and thirsty. People mention He's sickly white.

Off to the emergency room as a walk in, Rex's is feeling better and although it doesn't really hurt as He thinks it should, His mind is flicking back and forth to the hole in His arm.

Being upbeat He's jovial with the cute little Indian doctor but her jaw drops and she reels back with a gasp when she removes Dad's temporary dressing.

Rex thinks it was an old Seinfeld gag. One where Seinfeld says that a doctor should NEVER, NEVER give the patient the impression they themselves have never seen anything like it.

Well after 5 hours of needles, blood tests, stinging anti-septic scrubbing and half an hour of consolidated stitching Rex is released.

Leaving the hospital after enduring much repairing now He's on His feet, again He feels proper ill. Its been 12hours since he last ate and his limbs soaked in antiseptic that sting like a bitch. The bruising and swelling have set in and everything is stiff and aches like a bitch.

It's about 0100hrs and Rex just needs someting to eat. Not really impressed that McDonalds is the only thing open. He hasn't eaten that shit in five years and those Angus burgers are just plain shit.

A night of uncomfortable tossing and turning, injuries are pulling and tearing so He cant sleep.

Now, the next day He's at home bored senseless typing this rambling essay while the dressings are sticking to his wounds. Rex knows He has to tear them off again every few days and the idea of it sucks.

BUT!

Y'know what, after all this Rex feels more alive than ever. He can't wait to get out to the next track-day and just go faster and harder than He has before. Now that He's had and understood His first fall, Rex is more coinfident than ever.

Incase you didnt read between the lines, all the injuries and pain could've been avoided if Rex was simply wearing the right gear at the time.

If you are serious about performance riding; Rex's advice from the 'experienced and injured' side of the fence is this. You WILL fall off at some stage and the right gear is the difference between serious injury or just a nice lie down...

Rex

883a7-clap.gif

I've got nothing more to say.

Great story, unlucky experience but a good Lesson can be taught to others.

P.S. Post picks of the dammagestretcher.gif

That was a sick read, Jason loves rex. Jason is leaving now.

Cheers

Jason

Why weren't you wearing gear?

Simply been riding long enough without incident Rex thought it'd never happen... Basically complacency.

Wow. I think thats the best post I've EVER read on the 5 or so forums I'm a member off since 2004. Could you explain what you were wearing exactly? I'm planning to get my RE soon and I dont think I'd ever ride without gloves, full boots, textile jacket, long kevlar jeans, then for longer rides body armour. Seems like I'm going over the top but is it? Can you put a price on yourself? Sorry now you got me all thinking about this shit :P

I found it hard to read with alll the first person talk....and no your not thinking over the top...go one better...Leathers :)

As I myself sit in wonderment of this great tale, I think to my self as to why you dont have a publishing deal.

I did very much enjoy the read.

Get well soon Rex Kelway.

I found it hard to read with alll the first person talk....and no your not thinking over the top...go one better...Leathers :)

Its in the point of the "third person"

Third, first, fith, whatever it's called it's annoying as hell hahaha

"great tale" ..fist full of front brake in a staight line and binned it (hardly a great tale lol)..."publishing deal" .... :lol:

So did you end up getting that doctors number?

Get well Rex!

Third, first, fith, whatever it's called it's annoying as hell hahaha

"great tale" ..fist full of front brake in a staight line and binned it (hardly a great tale lol)..."publishing deal" .... :lol:

it's the way it was penned more so than the story!

Yep I've been there done almost exactly that, was handed a scrubbing brush and told to go scrub the bitumin out of my "wounds" ( I had clear vision of my knee cap and several knuckles of both hands due to grindage of flesh ) oh and no you can't have pain killers you may have a broken bone ( which I did and it took 11 weeks to get the plaster off )

Note to self and others, watch out for sticking throttles caused by aftermarket throttle grips.

The Next Episode Of Rex!

get better soon mate..

Wow, how did I miss this, hope you're alright, good thing it was some cuts and scratches and not another fatal statistic.

When can you get back to fabricatus maximus ?

Haha, Rex's injury time-off was about five days before He just went banana's. Simply couldn't bear sitting around doing nothing.

Been back doing work ever since.