Sign in to follow this  
Gurglar

How are my lifts?

I've been training for about 6 months now going to the gym 3 times a week and just want to see if my progress is alright.

I currently only weigh 69kg and i'm doing 3x5 on my main lifts so here they are from my latest sessions.

Deadlifts - 110kg x 6

Squats - 105kg x 5

Bench press - 75kg x 6

Bent rows - 75kg x 5

Military press - 60 x 3

So what do you think am I doing alright? Obviously the exercises that are over 5 reps I will be upping next session.

Squats I reset my weight abit back down to 80kg a few weeks ago cause my form was abit crap I think and was getting a little pain so started doing a wider stance and havent had any pain at all so far.

Deads I need to work on my grip it fails all the time barely clinging on in the last 2 reps, I did however pull a muscle in my hand a few months ago that still hasnt healed up fully.

hahaha i'm short but not that short i'd say 5'5 I think i'm about 170cm tall. I should weigh more than that by now though but havent been eating properly for ages picking my game back up though now.

I went from very low 80's to 97kg, now about 94kg.

I think im 175, short too!

Eat well, pack on some kg's and your lifts will sky rocket.

Your lifts are alright considering what you weigh. 69kg's is really light though mate... unless you're a midget.

If you really want to progress with your lifts, eat like a machine. I know no other way.

Deads I need to work on my grip it fails all the time barely clinging on in the last 2 reps, I did however pull a muscle in my hand a few months ago that still hasnt healed up fully.

What grip type are you using? Palms both facing towards you? Try the alternate grip, one facing away, once facing to.

^that.

lifts are decent for your Height and weight. What are you trying to achieve? Wanna be massive? Strong? Or just the typical beach bod?

I completely missed your post where you stated your height. :rolleyes:

As pervy said, try the alternate grip. That works best for me.

Also, if you're using gloves, it makes the barbell fatter and harder to hold onto. My deadlift is limited at 180kg's because of this. It's best to get some chalk mate.

Haven't started using a mixed grip yet tried it a couple of times and it feels really uncomfortable and I can't lift properly. I think I just need more practice will give it a shot on monday and practice in my warm up sets.

Main goal is strength for the moment and putting on some mass. I've been doing a full body routine since I started and just need to stop being lazy with my diet.

A lot of room for growth in your weights mate, keep training it just takes time to build strength :thumbsup:

At 63kg (5'7) this is what I was doing:

DL 140kg x 7

SQ 102.5kg x 20

BP 62.5kg x 17

MP 60kg x 5

BR 80kg x 16

Once you learn mixed grip you won't go back, anything after 120kg or so I cant normal grip, from there to over 200 mix grip is perfect.

Hes been training for 6 months ghosty, that is pretty good results, you been at it for years

Once you learn mixed grip you won't go back, anything after 120kg or so I cant normal grip, from there to over 200 mix grip is perfect.

Hes been training for 6 months ghosty, that is pretty good results, you been at it for years

His results are ok, mine are abysmal given the time I've been training (granted I never stick to a program, eat, sleep, or do anything right for that matter), it is still an example of what can be achieved from the bottom end of the 'discipline' scale with a little bit of effort.

If you look at the results from the majority of Markos's clients, that is a much better measure for what can be achieved with the right type of training in 'x' amount of time.

Markos says that his novice level - BP 100kg/SQ 140kg/DL 180kg - should be able to be achieved by anyone with 6-12 months of hard training and eating, and he's got enough clients who've achieved it to back up his claims.

With regards to deadlift grip, use a clean grip for as heavy as you can hold onto the bar, then change to mixed grip.

To get strong, you train more often.

To get big, you eat more.

Just trained and used a mixed grip for deads and done 115kg x 7 in my last set and grip was still pretty strong started to loosen abit but way easier will up the weight a little bit more I think next dead session.

Question though do people swap which way they mix there grip? I only did it one way and was thinking maybe swap every session to the opposite of the time before??

Military pressed 60kg x 5 aswell so lifts are going up fairly smoothly :)

I'll add in my bench is the lift I think I suck at but i'm not pushing that because I have a crappy shoulder (posted in the shoulder bursitus thread) and just got it x-rayed and ultrasound last week get the results on thursday to see if something is stuffed. Started to hurt abit tonight doing pull ups and stuff but military it doesn't hurt :wacko:

His results are ok, mine are abysmal given the time I've been training (granted I never stick to a program, eat, sleep, or do anything right for that matter), it is still an example of what can be achieved from the bottom end of the 'discipline' scale with a little bit of effort.

If you look at the results from the majority of Markos's clients, that is a much better measure for what can be achieved with the right type of training in 'x' amount of time.

Markos says that his novice level - BP 100kg/SQ 140kg/DL 180kg - should be able to be achieved by anyone with 6-12 months of hard training and eating, and he's got enough clients who've achieved it to back up his claims.

With regards to deadlift grip, use a clean grip for as heavy as you can hold onto the bar, then change to mixed grip.

More so a guide, I past those weights with in 2 weeks of training.

about the mixed grip just go for what feels good for you, I started to do it after anything over 150kg deads it would feel weird, mixed grip a few times and never went back to normal.

My right hand is always palm towards me, left palm away...Feels akward switching it

My right hand is always palm towards me, left palm away...Feels akward switching it

Same, once I changed to that I never went back

More so a guide, I past those weights with in 2 weeks of training.

about the mixed grip just go for what feels good for you, I started to do it after anything over 150kg deads it would feel weird, mixed grip a few times and never went back to normal.

Did you do anything that required strength before weights ? thats pretty epic to hit those lifts so quick

To get strong/big you gotta eat and eat some more

Tonight

Squat 110kg x 4

Bench Press 80kg x 4

Bent Row 75 x 6

Still going up :)

Results on my shoulder tomorrow arvo it was hurting tonight. Might have to have a week off soon again.

Copy and paste from the shoulder thread if anyone was interested don't think you's were but oh well :lol:

Update on my situation finally got my shoulder checked and I have bursitis which is inflamed. They also said it looked like I could have a slight torn tendon aswell and I have some seperation where my collarbone joins my shoulder but reckoned that was nothing.

My treatment is rest said I could get cortison injections but if I use common sense and rest when it hurts it shouldn't be too much hassle if I can deal with it.

In regards to mix grip, you need to be constantly switching it, or else you'll create an imbalance in your biceps, which may make it more likely for you to tear.

I tend to switch each set but you could probably switch just each session if you want.