Sign in to follow this  
mrsquiggle

VISCOUS LSD BEHAVIOUR

Guys

The other day i noticed that doing clockwise circular powerslides (for the first time) im getting bothe wheels spinning but when doing the same anticlockwise the car runs wide and only one wheel spins???.. The radius of the powerslide was maybe 20-30m so not real tight second gear stuff..

Is my diff stuffed or is that how viscous lsd's are???

It's a 20+ year old diff it ain't gna be working like brand new

I found the same problem when I had stock suspension in it.

Stiffen it up a bit and you'll be able to go both ways with ease.

As said above - Due to its age, the original thrust washer is most likely worn down a bit, therefore it's not engaging and causing it to single out. There is heaps of information on how Viscous LSDiffs work... cbf explaining it all.

What you need is to shim your diff, then it will be tighter and keep you ripping 2 wheels.

Thanks .

Theres a fair amount of tailshaft backlash it thuds when you put it in 1st too. its an S15.

Will take it out and get the pinion shimmed ? any diff shops u recco in sydney?? I was gonna get Craft differentials to do it...

As for susp its pedders springs on stock shocks, was thinking coil overs maybe BC coil overs with rubber top mounts or maybe a new set of struts KYB or bilstein??? i heard the camber plates can come loose so im thinking of avoiding the camber top adjustable coil overs.. my mechanic reckons there too much maintainance on 3rd world standard roads we have here in Sydney ;)

s15's dpont have viscous lsd's.. they are a helical gear torsen lsd. cant be shimmed.

put an aftermarket lsd in there. problem solved

I've run camber top adjustable coilies in my car for Over 2 years an never had a single problem with them so I believe that's your mechanics opinion not fact as I know of many people running camber top coilovers with no issues

s15's dpont have viscous lsd's.. they are a helical gear torsen lsd. cant be shimmed.

put an aftermarket lsd in there. problem solved

Thanks Simon.

My cars a street car not a drift machine (only on occasions) so what diff would you recco? 1 way or 1.5?? 2 way isnt legal and a bit of a challenge for L plate drifters ;)

or could i just use another S15 centre... mine lasted 70000km?

it DID used to spin the tyres on left turn powerslides

I've run camber top adjustable coilies in my car for Over 2 years an never had a single problem with them so I believe that's your mechanics opinion not fact as I know of many people running camber top coilovers with no issues

Ok What r u running? i guess theyre heaps lighter so unsprung weight is less = better handling.. the piston and strut diameters are thinner than struts arent they though? so not as tock if you hit a pothole or something? mind you i bent a koni strut in my previous car once!

There's no difference between a 1.5 and 2 way on acceleration. I would get a nismo gt 2 way and adjust it to it's lowest preload and it will be perfect for street and track duties

There's no difference between a 1.5 and 2 way on acceleration. I would get a nismo gt 2 way and adjust it to it's lowest preload and it will be perfect for street and track duties

Indeed,

Quality diff

Y are people talking about camber tops?????

You obviously haven't read the thread properly or at all

Thanks Simon,

So a 2 way one l lock on decel too?? if so by lowering the preload would a 2 way be safe for a novice on the street?

Any other brands also worth considering ??... that are also preload adjustable?

I have heard mech lsd's are noisy.. is this always true?

Would a used diff be worth considering?? I found a wrecker thats got a mech diff dunno what it is and they can tell me??

nismo is the best as its the smoothest and quiestest and its adjustable.. all the others are quite noisy. I have a KAAZ lsd and they are by no means what i would call a street friendly diff.

regardless of if its a 1.5 or 2 way... you'll have to be doing something silly to have it step out on you. they dont just throw the car sideways without you expecting it.

I was running tein Super streets with camber tops and yes they are a smaller diameter. I can't actually comment on potholes as I've been lucky to miss them all so far. Obviously if you hit them hard enough something is going to bend or break

nismo is the best as its the smoothest and quiestest and its adjustable.. all the others are quite noisy. I have a KAAZ lsd and they are by no means what i would call a street friendly diff.

regardless of if its a 1.5 or 2 way... you'll have to be doing something silly to have it step out on you. they dont just throw the car sideways without you expecting it.

Ok Thanks Simon

IF the wrecker will et me remove the diff cover would i be able to tell if its a nismo?? are they stamped with a nismo logo or any part numbers distinguishing features??

You obviously haven't read the thread properly or at all

Great profile pic by the way :)