Sign in to follow this  
King Troll

is there anyway to seal the turbo-dump connection

when i was putting the new dump pipe on, it wasnt flush against the turbo and was leaking

i kept doing the bolts up tighter untill one of them snapped =/ so i decided to take the whole thing off and start again

after taking it off, i noticed a second bolt snapped off aswell, only the very tip of it snapped off (so i couldnt tell untill i got it out)

anyway, with only 3/5 bolts in right now, it leaks badly...is there anyway to seal this so it doesnt leak?

or am i gonna have to take the whole turbo out (spending an entire saturday) just to get these snapped threads out?

(also, yea i know i f**ked up bigtime)

dont be a cheap bastard, pull it off and fix it properly

How much thread is sticking out of the broken stud? You should be able to get it out while still in the car. Put a nut over it, weld the nut to the stud then unscrew.

I'd be trying to get them out while still on the car to save dumping the oil and coolant to remove the turbo and change more gaskets.

How much thread is sticking out of the broken stud? You should be able to get it out while still in the car. Put a nut over it, weld the nut to the stud then unscrew.

I'd be trying to get them out while still on the car to save dumping the oil and coolant to remove the turbo and change more gaskets.

there isnt any thread sticking out, the bolts snapped so the thread thats stuck in it is pretty deep in

(it wasnt the thread sticking out of the turbo that snapped, it was the bolt i screwed in)

Weld the turbo to the dump :F

Jokes aside, I had to weld the dump to my old T25G. Two bolts snapped off and were so heavily siezed that no bolt removal tool would work, and my removal attempts just made things worse.

Eventually I just thought "f*ck this", whipped out the mig and away I went. Eventually had to redo it with an arc welder due to cracking.

Was going to get rid of it for $30 or so, but now I figure it's better to keep the old snail should I get defected.

OP - if you really get stuck, and the bolts will NOT come out, then just hit it with a cheap arc welder. However, try to source a cheap 3" dump rather than welding something nice. I used my old one-piece pipe since it was heading for the bin anyway.

Factory turbos aren't worth enough to try overly hard to salvage the bolt thread, and you're better off saving your cash on an OEM replacement, which can later be put towards something bigger.

Kyle remove the turbo and message Flippa on drftwa he will be able to remove them he did mine.

Don't do my trick, try an easy-out and make things worse...

If you want it done properly, take it to someone that know's that they're doing.

yeh my dad should be able to get them out

so devo, i wanted it done in time for the cruise, ended up reppin the diesel truck all night D= atleast it wasnt as loud as last time

In that case, as menioned, thread doctor.

From what I've read, the guy only does onsite visits and really charges for his time.

It just isn't worth the cost for a stock T25/T28 imo.

A secondhand replacement is around $200, so to me, a solution would need to be no more than $40 to be worthwhile. Can't see that happening, hence out comes the little stick welder!