Sign in to follow this  
- Donny -

brake pad choice

Tried EBC green/red etc stuff? I prefer Qfm A1RM myself for street use, short sprints & hillclimbs.

SPECIFICATIONS

Formulation - Cold Friction - High Friction - Temperature ©

HP-X - 0.41 - 0.42 - 0-550

A1RM - 0.40 - 0.48 - 0-780

Oh and project Mu is currently manufacturing pads for QFM due to massive demand.........( which should tell you something )

Edit

sourced info from both a RDA wholesale outlet ( who I thought was trying to push ebc on me ) and also ( without provoking ) a area retail outlet for QFM here in newcastle who gave same info as explanation to no stock for 3 weeks of nissan 4 pot pads.

Tha'ts where the A1rm's shine. They do well on short high temp stints but not repeated long burns like high speed circuit use of decent lap counts ie 10+ laps of Eastern Creek etc. Both QFM pads are made to work best with slotted rotors which is not often mentioned.

Considering the price/performance factor, Elig RS709's FTW...

Optimum temperature range 80-570C, maximum recommended temp 620C.

Friction coefficient ~ 0.5

Cost me (with discount) $240 for fronts to suit Brembos and they pulled up HARD on the track with no signs of fade whatsoever. Definitely recommend these pads for sprints/hillclimbs/Time Attack and even endurance.

I use these also on the street but they do need about 2 stops to get up to temp. As a track pad, they are still very streetable.

Donny i use the Qfm A1rm im my car, 15 laps at the island no probs i have 310mm and r32 calipers, and as you know i still drive it to work and out and about on weekends as well

be cool if you added price and where to get them to the list :]

i am pretty happy with the DS2500 from street to track / comp friction for about $240 per axle

but always looking for a cheaper better option. a1rm pad material fell to pieces once down to half thickness on my car. doh

yeah i was happy with the a1rms but 2 of our drift cars where using them and did a few circuit days and even only a dozen or so laps you could really see the pads where pretty much f**ked and started to fade after a few hard laps.

What mods were done to the braking system?, were you using the standard size brakes with a pad change, i have seen this a few times myself and in all cases the only thing they had changed was the pads and vented /drilled rotors of the same size, but had increased the power by upto 50%, without increasing the braking torque or the heat disapation ratio of the braking system.

Edited by Lgee

I'v seen a few 'race cars' with some vents directly to the brake caliper/disk with some benefit? Wouldn't be hard to knock up. I was planning on project MU but keen on some other opinions.

lucas/trw pads are excellent bitey and cop a fair bit of heat before fading. and the pads stay good right to the indicators.

Im sure Nismoman uses the QFM AR1 and he does very quick times but have not heard him complain about them or having issues. He has also used the Lucas TRW so perhaps he will comment....

I have used the Lucas TRW when I had S14 brakes. Very dusty but certainly pulled up well on track and allows for pretty quick time yet fine for the street. They still pulled up right even when right down to the indicators. For the money, terrific bang for buck.

A lot of good things being said about the Project Mu HC+. A lot of guys using these with positive feedback.

I used to use TRW but found them to be very very dusty but they pulled up to lights pretty good and were nice and gripy in some spirited mountain runs but after all that shitty dust all over the rim I changed over to ACRE light sports and also using slotted rotors and now very happy with them as they seem to have alot less dust for starters and I notice now whether it be pulling up to lights or mountain runs I dont need to jump onto the brakes like before. So I do recommend ACRE light sports! :thumbsup:

I've got TRW pads on my S14 and I've used them before on my S13. The full set cost under $110.

Unique Autosports has the brake deflectors. www.nismo.com.au I haven't figured out why there's such a large difference between the 2 they sell though.

$80

deflector.jpg

$195

DSCF8159_000.jpg

^ fuggin awesome

i just made some up for mine out of some sheet alum. i keep glazing rotors so time for some cooling.

how far down do they drop below the LCA? because i wasnt really thinking when i made mine, theyre great until i put my splitter on, its low and takes away all that airflow.

show us some pics when you fit em up.

I haven't actually bought either, I've got some aluminium and was going to make some when I get time. I also had concerns about reduced airflow from a splitter but I'll look at what air is available through the front bar.

i know this is throwing a spanner in the works, but i was looking into the endless range...can't remember off the top of my head which particular ones. i only just got my hands on some r33 brembo's today, and had a quick look into pads, and i saw some intermident ones for about 500 for a full set F&R, if not less.

I have had nothing to do with brakes or pads at all yet, so all this is new to me.

Endless: mx72

Temp Range: 50-700

Friction: 0.37-0.47u

Compound: Semi-Metalic

Use: Street/Track Days

Initial Sponse: 9/10

Durability: 8/10

Noise Level: 7/10

Control: 8/10

Pedal Feel: 9/10

Dust Level: 8/10

Oh and project Mu is currently manufacturing pads for QFM due to massive demand.........( which should tell you something )

I'm interested to know the source of this info.

Anyway, on topic.

I would steer away from the pmu NS pads. They, like most other entry level pmu pads, are pretty ordinary and carry a fair premium because of the name. The HC+ pads and above are outstanding performers though, but probably a bit more track oriented than what you are looking for.

Another one to consider are the SBS Carbon Ceramics. Very high initial friction. Work from dead cold and very good feel and feed back. They are ok for track in a lightish, moderately powered car (despite what the marketing says). Increase the weight or the power and they get a bit warm and feel very wooden, but still pull the car up fine.

I'd start on the HC+ and work up from there. They should hold up to basic trackwork and are very streetable. The A1RMs are a great autocross pad but won't hold up to sustained circuit work.

Don't try and compare the provided temperature and friction co-efficient data between brands as they are not tested by the same process. (It's a guide anyway)

I've run Pmu HC+, Pmu Max900i, QFM A1RM and now Hawk DTC60.

I recently put in Hawk Ceramics on the recommendation of V Sport, replaced my EBC green stuffs and these are vastly superior so far, excellent stopping power and very good pricing...

Quick question. My s14 is 90% track car, 10% street. I spend most of my time at the club sprint days now, but I plan on entering a few drift days again in the future.

I have come to a point where my stock rotors and weds pads need replacing. I have around the 1k mark to spend. What should I do?

New slotted s14 rotors with awesome pads, or look second hand skyline calipers, rotors and ok pads???

the extra cost of going up to r33 is a lot of money! 280 vs 296mm and nearly double the price for rotors because they arent as common a size.

i'd stick with s14 slotted + awesome pads. aka ds2500 for the $250 mark.

and if you begin to overheat them, add some cooling duct.

and save the rest of your money (Y)

^^ Agree with scooby36, the s14 rotors with good pads are an effective and economic combination.

I myself have used TRW Lucas and I now use the Intima SR. Both very good value for money, I do find the Intima's don't dust up and last longer than the TRW ones.

Intima's are slightly more expensive than the TRW's so you would expect that.

Cheers guy's. I am seeing good reviews about the QFM A1RMS's. How do they compare to the mu's HC+?? Mate has the hc+ and he loves them but everone online says they are over priced.

I am also considering z32 calipers on the 330mm powered by max rotors & adapter plates.

http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?6

Anyone keen to share there cost for all the pads mentioned in this thread so far?

holy jebus thats a bargain on those bigass rotor combo. how much for postage? that rocks !

Haven't checked yet, but I imagine a fair bit.

Did I hear someone say group buy?

It looks like a good option for the rears without having to upgrade to Skyline hubs.

looking at the intima site, they have intima SS which has quite a high cof even though it has low max temp

has anyone had experience with these pads?

it would seem they would be an excellent street pad

any thoughts?