Sign in to follow this  
Yo_Mang

Yo_Mang's R31 Drift Project - "HMAS Argh Dirty One"

What Colour Should I Paint The Car?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What Colour Should I Paint The Car?

• Blue Top, Black Bottom
    • Matte Black All Over
    • Red Top, Black Bottom
    • Gold Top, Black Bottom
    • Other (Leave a comment!)

Nice, gotta love progress!

Epic demon-hydro haha. What colour you doin the interior?

Demon hydro will be sick haha. Haven't ever bent up brake lines though so hopefully I'm not full retard at it!

Inteior is just going to be simple matte BLAAACCKK... It's an R31 after all, Matte Black has to be somewhere in it! Haha

Hopefully some more progress up tomorrow

Got a bit more done today.

After stuffing around getting everything off then back on, S13 front hubs, knuckles and rotors in. Got the front coilovers in too. Fronts are sitting nice and low now, have to lower the back a bit to make it sit even.

Ball joint remover tool = bricks, planks of wood and hammers yeh?

Hopefully pics tomorrow once I lower the rears.

That should be about it for my suspension mods. Should all be right now! Just have to grab some more bolts for one of the coilovers as its in there temporarily.

Front brakes are on, just have to mod the callipers so I can bolt in the brake lines and that should be good to go.

Also have to put on the rear VS callipers, make up some brake line to connect the Hydro and then my brakes should be good to go!

Pulled off the head, cleaned it up and put on the metal head gasket. Torqued it down and she's all good. Have a Gates timing belt to put on but don't have a harmonic ballencer puller or installer, or a rattle gun to get the nut off, plus the flywheel is off so not sure how I'm going to go stop the engine rotating. Yep.. gotta figure that one out haha

Run into a bit of a problem. Need to get the balancer off, no problem now got all the tools, but I have to find a way to stop the motor turning over while I'm pulling it off. Thinking of taking off the sump and sticking something in to stop it rotating but not too sure. Any ideas?

Cheers ;)

this going to be a interesting build, keep it up mate :)

Run into a bit of a problem. Need to get the balancer off, no problem now got all the tools, but I have to find a way to stop the motor turning over while I'm pulling it off. Thinking of taking off the sump and sticking something in to stop it rotating but not too sure. Any ideas?

Cheers ;)

use a rattle gun

^^^^

Yeh had a rattle gun just needed a way to stop the block spinning when rotating the balancer removal tool. Used a rattle gun to remove the main bolt and again used it on the lowest setting on the remover to slowly pull off the balancer, same to reinstall it. Such a good investment haha

Woop Woop!

Got the balancer off, new water pump and Gates Racing timing belt on, balancer back on. Actually easier than i thought! Workshop manuals and rattle guns FTW. Pretty much all engine work done now! Started flushing oil through the engine to clear out the old stuff. Put in a few new exhaust studs that broke. Installed the exhaust manifold and turbo etc on with new gasket. Oil lines still to go in, need some thread tape.

iPhone pics FTW!

New Water Pump and Timing Belt

img1633j.jpg

Blue means its heaps better

img1634s.jpg

All exhaust studs in

img1635q.jpg

Manifold and turbo on

img1636d.jpg

Coming along nicely man, should be fun on the track!

Mind me asking what is the name of the effect u use to edit the pics of the car etc (dark around the edges)

Is there a tutorial out there for it?

Many thanks!

^^ Vignette effect... Just an oval mask with feathered edges, takes approx 10 secs in photoshop :)

You should paint your car soon Blake

Haha yep what Stu said

All I really do to my photo's is fix the levels, colour balance, exposure etc, maybe desaturate it a little bit or change the contrast etc just depends what look I'm wanting. Fix the exposure in the RAW converter for photos shot at night because it's pretty dark down at the shed and theres never enough light haha.

After I've got that all done and the image looks how I want it, just add another layer in photoshop, make it all black, get the oval mask tool and set the feathering to the highest it can (250 pixels I think it is), select from corner to corner and delete that. Tada - Vignette!

Yeh I'll paint it when I get back. Can't do much while it's raining haha.

Forgot to mention that I'm going on a cruise in 2 days so this will probably all the loving this car see's for the next 2 weeks! After that is rego then she'll get some loving!

nice progress mate,

howd you go sorting out the BS with the 32? any luck?

Cheers dude.

Nah not really, I'm just trying to sell it at the moment. Might try and fix it but I'm not super keen on it really, I never really wanted a Skyline but it just appeared like an awesome deal. One day I'll sort something out, but court fee's plus the time it takes is a fair bit. Wanting to get a Sil, possible soon and start modding it for my fulls.

But for the time this is keeping me busy haha. Having an awesome time modding this beast lol. Should be a nice little skid rig once it's done

Nice, what power do you reckon you will make?

I still vote bare metal for colour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!111!

Get involed haha

When your done, gotta take me along for skids at EC

This should be a weapon!

There was an NA rb30 r31 at the last parklands he was ripping it up! Did as well as all of the other cars including the serious sally sponsored guys.

Power wise I'm not too sure... around 180kw would be nice! Thats over double what I was drifting in my old Silvia haha. Should be reasonable to get, turbo should handle that much and should be able to squeeze enough juice out of the injectors with the FPR.

Haha nah bare metal can be left for hot rods, old VW's and drift missiles. Just a quick Kill Rust Rattle Can red on top and black on bottom will do me!

You can pay for EC! I reckon its a rip off for the small amount of time you get and for something thats not really even a track. Pay about the same amount and get to drift for almost twice as long in a well put together manor on a proper track at Winton!

Yeh cheers man. Keen to see it going, hopefully I can be out there churning some tyres in August! I took my mates car around a bit of Winton for a little slide and it actually was pretty good in stock NA form with the factory crap LSD! Don't really see why I won't be out there unless I don't have enough money at the time for renewal of CAMS and VicDrift Membership. Gonna be sweet to drift a car for the first time that I've built myself (with some help from some good mates of course ;) )

Never got pics up of the motor without a head / putting the head gasket on, will put some up when I'm home!

loving this man, giving me real motivation to get back into my wagon in the new year

go matt/satin black, rep the black 31s in nsw and i'll keep it going in vic :P

Back in the country fellas ;)

Grabbed my clutch today. Valeo Cushion Button Clutch. Should be able to hold the power that she'll be putting out and will be nice and snappy for some dori dori fun fun

The car was originally bought with another mate (went halves) and were just using it for parts but I'm using it as a tracker so he's taking what he needs. The subframe he has is damaged in one of the bolt holes so he's swapped that over. Getting that welded up tomorrow so the bolt hole is a circle again haha. Also boxing the subframe and adding strengthening points to it on the sides. Yum!

Will hopefully get right back into it tomorrow!

Do you have a goal track date to be ready for or just whenever it happens?

Do you have a goal track date to be ready for or just whenever it happens?

Winton on August the 20th is my goal date which is what I am praying I can get it done by! Hopefully it should be done, it's a little over a month away, but I've also got rego and CTP to pay, new VicDrift Membership, new CAMS License and entry to pay FML

Thats whats so bullshit.

People wanna get into drifting, yet the price to do this isnt cheap.

Cams license

Track fees

Saftey gear

tyres

Fuel Ect

Even though most are a one off payment, but someone in my position just cant afford it.

Though im more then keen to get out their.

End rant.

Good stuff blake.

Cool build man, looking forward to the rest. It's always good to have a goal/date set even if you don't get it done, otherwise there's no motivation!

I wanna suggest black over silver 2 tone, or white over silver 2 tone. The first colour being the top colour respectively.

if you like having problems, run that stainless manifold.

so bisically ditch that manifold before you put the engine in. or 'i told you so' when it cracks and you have to pull everything off.

It's the only manifold I have at the moment, plus I have piping to fit it and the dump pipe thats made to suit the high mount so I'm going to run it for the time.

I'll get back into this bad boy soon, I've just run out of money for the time! Not going to be able to make August :( but hopefully it will be going soon. Not too much left to go really!

how you setting up the hydro?

so VS calipers replace the 31 calipers and just t-pieced it into the line to be used for foot and hydro?

do you some sort of proportioning valve? if its just t'd into the line wouldnt the hydro lock or stop the front wheels too?

i have always wondered this lol

So it would appear that I have a new car, and now have no need to finish this build.

As much as I would have love to finish it, and it's pretty close!, I don't really have the time and like I said no longer need to build it.

So

90% of my parts are up for sale! PM Me if your keen on anything!

Welcome to the club.

It's f**king wicked fun man.

And yeah not sure about the p/steering issue. Mine doesn't seem bad at all compared to my old s13.