Sign in to follow this  
Gurglar

Thinking of getting a laptop vs a desktop

So my girlfriend has kinda talked me into getting a laptop instead of a desktop because in my current situation I don't have the room for a desktop and i'm never really home alot of the time so would be easier to just cart it around with me.

I've always been fairly against laptops just cause they are annoying to use most of the time but do come in handy from time to time.

So yeah just wondering on peoples opinions on desktops vs laptops??

If I was to go the laptop route what do people reccommend i'm looking at spending around $1000 but under would be a hell of alot better and would want to get the most for my dollar??

i5 for a grand wheny u price hunt against stores.

quick enough.

i used to be against laptops. but now having a laptop and wireless everything. its so much easier. and u do get used to the laptop and your view will change

laptops are great i use mine at uni and at work, i use macs though so cant really recommend a windows one

Well I want something quick as cause i'm so used to a slow ass computer thats the only main thing.

The only laptop i've looked at is the dell XPS 15 so far and it seems fairly decent to me what else is around that??

Depending on what you wanna use it for and what you wanna spend etc.

Can buy a decent laptop now with win 7, 500gb drive etc etc for $500 new.

or if you're a tight *milkshake* like me and just wanna use it for net etc, cruise Gumtree. I got a Centrino duo lappy from 07 that does everything I need it to for $150.

If you don't mind using a 13" screen then get an Asus U36JC. I've just purchased one and it's by far the best laptop I've ever owned. Super thin, very fast and has outstanding battery life. Only downside is that it doesn't have an optical drive due to how thin it is, but then again I haven't needed to use discs for a long time now.

Specs are Intel Core i5 480M 2.53GHz (Turbo boost to 2.93GHz), 500GB Hybrid SSD, 4GB DDR3 Ram, N-Wifi/Bluetooth 2.1/1Gbit Base-T, 13.3" LED LCD, Intel HD GFX and Dedicated nVidia GeForce 310M discreet 1GB GFX (switchable), Multi Card reader, Webcam, USB 3.0, HDMI-out, Built-in Mic, Altec Lansing speakers, Fingerprint reader, 10-hour battery (when on highest power saving mode, I normally get around 6-hours on entertainment mode), 1.6Kgs total weight, 2-year warranty, Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.

Price is $1299 RRP but look around and you can possibly bargain it down to around $1100.

Keep in mind there's two different types of these available in Australia. Both are only available in Black and JB Hifi has the U36JC-RX106V exclusively which does not have fingerprint reader and includes Windows 7 Home Premium but all the other retailers have the U36JC-RX116X which has the fingerprint reader and Windows 7 Professional. Other than that, they're exactly the same specs on the inside.

Ok,

here we go. I was in your position about 8 months ago. there are huge upsides/downsides to both, but it really depends on your usage and how often you move around.

My solution was to buy a 'Gaming laptop' (Asus G73) - has tonnes of power, 2 monitor outputs aswell as its own 17" screen.

How I currently use it at home is basically a small/thin desktop that sits on my desk, and my mouse/keyboard/screen/speakers just plug into it, you wanna take it to a mates, 30 seconds and your packed.

Be warned, laptops, and performance laptops do have lots of driver issues, you wont have anywhere near the performance of a desktop for a similar price (kinda like apple haters say apple desktop vs windows desktop cost wise).

However, my gaming laptop plays everygame i have at full 1080p, max graphics.. and sure its not sitting at 90fps, but a nice 25-30.. which is still usable for me.

Just depends how serious you are, any new pc will be faster than what you own now (most likely) so dont stress too much either way.

what do you do with your PC most of the time.. then i might be able to tell you if your budget is appropriate. I tend to spend big on pcs, just do it once.. and it lasts for 3-5 years with minimal additional costs. rather than 1k each year :)

putting that aside, i just saw this deal :) -> http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_info.php?products_id=28459

The only thing I really want it to do well is handle multitasking real well but my main use for the computer is music, internet, storing pics/vids basic stuff.

I have never got into PC gaming as my computer has always been to crap to handle basic games so it would be nice for the computer to actually handle decent games quite easily.

So pretty much i'm looking for an all rounder will handle games quite well and be good at multitasking with multiple things open and running.

I'm leaning heavily towards a dell after all the reviews and stuff i've been reading they are in every one.

Narrowed it down between the XPS 15 or the Inspiron 15R

XPS 15, am looking towards the basic model one for $1099

http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-l502x/fs

Inspiron 15R, looking at the $899 one or $999

http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15r-n5110/fs

Opinions and recommendations??

I owned a Dell XPS M1330 before this Asus U36 and I was quite happy with it. A bit on the expensive side at the time but I customised it a lot so it all depends on what extra options you choose once you've selected the default configuration you want on their website.

Only issue I faced was the Graphics card module shitting itself around 9 months after I had purchased it. Apparently it was a common problem with the M1330's at that time and Dell sorted it out almost immediately. Some bloke named Jim who does some of the aftermarket repairs on behalf of Dell came out all the way from Thomastown (I live in Geelong) and fixed it approximately 2 days after I called their tech support line. Was very helpful and replaced the entire motherboard in around 25 minutes. So I can at least assure you that their warranty service is more than satisfactory unlike some other major notebook manufacturers.

if u buy a laptop, it has to fill its purpose, and that is taking it outside of ur home for usage, if not, then dont waste money on a laptop that u only use at home and get a desktop, alot more cost efficient and reliable compared to a laptop. thats just my opinion.

if u buy a laptop, it has to fill its purpose, and that is taking it outside of ur home for usage, if not, then dont waste money on a laptop that u only use at home and get a desktop, alot more cost efficient and reliable compared to a laptop. thats just my opinion.

This can be a very true statement, I found my 17" laptop perfect choice in the end, great for home use 90%, but soooooo much easier to LAN with, or take to work on weekend shifts/night shifts.

Try and think about would you reaaaaaally lug a laptop to and from your bus stop

do you really wanna be a douche doing pc stuff in a cafe looking cool or writing a novel in public

For you average joe, why get a desktop? Its cheap, sure a PC will have a little bit more power.. but you get a laptop, easy to store away, take to a mates for tv shows/music. it makes alot of other things so simple.. If you never take it anywhere.. power on and get a killer deskto or an average one with a killer screen

Tend to disagree

Have always bought used laptops, this Toshiba is 4 years old and cost $150, have had it a year with no problems at all, same as two before it.

I had a desktop and you need to have a desk and area for it. Laptop can be kept anywhere and used anywhere, any time. You can also buy a decent new laptop for around $450 which you'd be hard pressed to get a decent desktop for.

I think the day has come where you really need to justify a desktop rather then a laptop like days passed.

Tend to disagree

Have always bought used laptops, this Toshiba is 4 years old and cost $150, have had it a year with no problems at all, same as two before it.

I had a desktop and you need to have a desk and area for it. Laptop can be kept anywhere and used anywhere, any time. You can also buy a decent new laptop for around $450 which you'd be hard pressed to get a decent desktop for.

I think the day has come where you really need to justify a desktop rather then a laptop like days passed.

What i mentioned was just a personal opinion, not trying to spark a debate, but anyways if we are talking about using a computer at home and disregarding taking it outside, then personally i wouldnt want to carry a laptop around with me every where around the house... thats a bit extreme! when i go to the lounge room i wanna be watching TV, when i go to bed i wanna go going to sleep etc. When i want to be using my computer then ill want to use it at my desk with a large screen for viewing pleasure (22+ inches not 10/13/15/17") but of course if its entirely impossible to have room for a desk then laptop is the only option then, but thats a bit hard to imagine.

But of course, every one has their own preferences, im just giving my opinion.

i got a laptop

asus m70sa a couple years ago... its sposed to be a desktop replacement... still fast as f**k.. and ive half way filled the 1 terabyte hdd it comes with... plays blu rays etc, full hd yada yada yada

love it. kick it on the bed n surf... or connect the ps3 to the newwork n watch movies... love it never going back to desktop unless i get back in to gaming!!!...

but make sure you get like a laptop wood table thingo. that you can rest on your knees etc. im anal about my lappy getting hot!!!

best is when you lay on your side... and you turn the laptop 90 degrees, so when you watch a movie, the screen is at the perfect angle!

also good for when your working in your car need to refer to something on the net...

i f**king love my laptop

and when friends come over n they wanna use it you can just pass it around!!!

f**k desktops, when i went to thailand i took it with me, that was ery handy!

*edit* as for the desk/table .. when you eventuall get one and all thats sitting there is your laptop and a mouse connected to it, looks pro as.!!!

I love laptops

I don't even use desktops pcs any more

Switched to laptop 7 years ago and it's all I use

At the moment I got an Asus g73j I bought over a year ago at the time it was one of the most powerful on the market

Definately made up my mind about getting a laptop cause it will be so much easier as i'm either home or at the girlfriends and this way I can just pick it up and take it over while shes studying and what not.

Was looking into getting my own home soon and I would only be getting a small place so a laptop would definately be easier as I wouldn't really need a desk for it and if I do a tiny little thing is all I need.

So yeah anyone got opinions on the dells above??

I loves my lappy, can take it anywhere. Play wow on my bed. I'm happy I got one instead of a desktop, plus don't really have the room for it. My two cents from someone who uses it everyday for gaming but not much of the technical side :)

Play wow on my bed.

:wub:

the-big-bang-theory-howard-wolowitz_412x232.jpg

HEY BABY, WANNA QUEST TOGETHER?

Play wow on my bed.

the-big-bang-theory-howard-wolowitz_412x232.jpg

HEY BABY, WANNA QUEST TOGETHER?

world_of_warcraft_cosplay_girls_06.jpg

Ususally depends what you're after. Using Moore's law laptops today are nearly as powerful as their desktop counterparts.

What you'll find is that each laptop is more or less the same just diferent plastic and different bloatware associated with the brand. So what you need to do is haggle down for best price or freebies (bag/mouse/modem/etc).

I would personally recommend Asus as they have a 2 year INTERNATIONAL warranty. Dell's warranty is also fairly high - I've heard of a guy driving 4-5 hours to a remote location to replace a part, so that seems to leave them in good stead.

If you need a bigger screen you can just buy a 24" monitor (or your HDTV) and plug it in via HDMI.

Also you may want to look on newegg or amazon (American) to get some killer prices as compared to locally.

Hope this has helped.

Your such a tease Mandi :P

So just went and got myself an inspiron from jb today I decided to go with the i5 model as the extra $200 for the i7 didn't really seem worth it for what I need i'm liking the computer so far only thing I really wish it had was a backlight for the keyboard but thats no biggie.

Got $100 off and got the computer for $799 so i'm pretty happy with it

You kidding me.... :o

I know! Girls on the internet. Who knew?

Play wow on my bed.

Server? :D

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2921488/ 2009 My night elf costume :) hand made!

Damn...

I'll send you an invite to one of our next cyberpunk / costume parties. I think you'll fit right in :)