Attack the Block

http://en.wikipedia....ttack_the_Block

A little known British sci-fi film from last year. The film is set in a poor neighbourhood and centres around a group of adolescent wannabe gang members. One night an object falls from the sky and crashes into a car near the gang. A creature runs off after attacking one of the gang members, so they chase it down and kill it. Later on more objects start falling to earth, however the gang are the people who notice as this all goes on during a firework display. Bored and with nothing else to do, they go out to hunt down more of the creatures as trophies. This time the creatures are far more deadly and out for revenge. You can tell the film is rather low budget, but it's a cool unique story. The British accent is pretty horrible and I could only understand half of what they said. Either way it's a cool little movie that not many people have heard of.

215px-Attack_The_Block_2.jpg

The Butcher Boy

http://en.wikipedia...._Boy_(1997_film)

This was a movie recommended from a while ago, so I had completely forgotten what it was meant to be about. It was tossing up whether to include this movie as it disappointed me a bit, but I think it's due to thinking this was some type of revenge movie when it clearly wasn't. It follows the life of a 12 year old Irish boy raising himself in his small town, seeing his mother is borderline crazy and father is an alcoholic. He steals from and bullies other children, so you're not meant to like him. But you can see he's from a broken home and then his parents die, so you're confused about how you should feel about him; but with this you feel his struggle. The acting from the children is a bit over the top at times and takes you out of the movie, but apart from that, I think people will like it.

220px-Butcher_boy_poster.jpg

Bellflower

http://en.wikipedia....ellflower_(film)

Another movie that I had a preconceived idea about which turned out totally different. The story follows 2 guys who have moved to LA and are sort of lost in their world planning for the apocalypse. I thought this movie was going to turn bad-ass and show them hunting down people and trying to take over LA. Instead they get girlfriends and go on dates and road trips. About half way through I thought about turning this off, but that's when things started to turn around and get pretty good. I can't say much else otherwise I'll give away the story, but the last act of the movie was awesome and went into what's real and what's in the characters head, so the ending is a bit ambiguous. Don't watch this thinking you're going to get a 2011 version of Mad Max. It's more of a slow burn and you really develop feelings for the character and want to see the main guy get his revenge.

220px-Bellflower_Poster.jpg

Edited by steveP

Sorry I'm not really a movie reviewer. Just like giving my opinion.

Same here, I'm not trying to be all fancy, just trying to discuss movies people might not have known about or are looking for something a little less mainstream.

Well you do a pretty good job.

Agreed. I've seen some awesome movies recommended through this.

Thanks. It's hard to tell if anyone is paying attention to this thread or it's just a movie blog for me.

Have also seen some awesome films because of this thread, keep up the good work! :)

Edited by earlyreflections

Thanks. It's hard to tell if anyone is paying attention to this thread or it's just a movie blog for me.

I've been trying to add a few extras to the thread so it doesn't seem like you're just on your own but I've been watching tv series more than movies lately. I'll try get around to watching a few more and putting them up for people. Maybe without the walls of text I usually seem to write :D

Broken Flowers

http://en.wikipedia..../Broken_Flowers

Bill Murray (Don) plays a former Don Juan in this film who's fairly well off from the computer industry enjoying retirement until his current girlfriend breaks off their relationship. He then receives a pink letter from an unknown old girlfriend informing him that he has a 19 year old son. Don initially doesn't do anything about it but his neighbour Winston (a mystery novelist) investigates it and maps out the areas of all his former girlfriends and insists Don to visit them and find out who it is. Basically most of the film is Don travelling on this journey to find out who wrote this pink letter and discover the impact he has had on these women, if any. Has a little twist at the end. Bill Murray delivers a great performance here as always - a good watch.

220px-Broken_Flowers_poster.jpg

Secret Window

http://en.wikipedia....i/Secret_window

One of my favourite films, a Johnny Depp classic. Depp plays his character to perfection in this role a really worthy watch. Not to give much away this a quick overview of the plot - Mort (J.Depp) plays a successful author whos currently going through a divorce with his wife after finding out she had an affair. He procrastinates finalizing the divorce by retreating to his secluded cabin in the rural town. Depressed and suffering from writer's block he is confronted one day by John Shooter, a dairy farmer who accuses him of plagiarism and leaves his manuscript behind for Mort to read. Mort reads the story and is surprised to discover its resemblance to his own story "Secret Window". The story really takes off from here, a must watch.

220px-Secret_Window_movie.jpg

Edited by earlyreflections

I've been trying to add a few extras to the thread so it doesn't seem like you're just on your own but I've been watching tv series more than movies lately. I'll try get around to watching a few more and putting them up for people. Maybe without the walls of text I usually seem to write biggrin.png

Same, I've got about 20 movies lined up, and another 50 on a list to watch. But I've recently just watched The Walking Dead and been playing a whole bunch of Skate on PS3. I should be able to get through a few decent movies soon.

Also regarding the Secret Window, I saw it when it came out in cinemas back in 2004 and I didn't think much of it. I can't remember why this was the case; I should give it another chance.

Super

http://en.wikipedia...._American_film)

215px-Super_Poster.jpg

After his wife falls under the influence of a drug dealer, an everyday guy transforms himself into Crimson Bolt, a superhero with the best intentions, though he lacks for heroic skills. - IMDB

I think they refer to this style as 'black comedy' so you will either really like it or really hate it.

Edited by keaton185

Im not sure if I'm allowed to post this but I will until someone takes it down. But if anyone is looking for a good site to download movies (legally of course :D) there is a newish site called YIFY TORRENTS (google is friend). I don't know how the site owner does it but he compresses full 720p and 1080 BluRay rips to 700mb for 720p and usually about 1.5gb for 1080p.

The quality is pretty dam good, so much better than DVDRIPs from other sites, some of the movies the quality isn't perfect with some blockyness but when you have a 580mb 1920x1080 version of Pulp Fiction you can understand. Overall though 90% and ALL NEW movies are in outstanding quality. I had a 3gb version of Fight Club that was the same quality as their 1.6gb 720p version.

Im not sure if I'm allowed to post this but I will until someone takes it down. But if anyone is looking for a good site to download movies (legally of course biggrin.png) there is a newish site called YIFY TORRENTS (google is friend). I don't know how the site owner does it but he compresses full 720p and 1080 BluRay rips to 700mb for 720p and usually about 1.5gb for 1080p.

The quality is pretty dam good, so much better than DVDRIPs from other sites, some of the movies the quality isn't perfect with some blockyness but when you have a 580mb 1920x1080 version of Pulp Fiction you can understand. Overall though 90% and ALL NEW movies are in outstanding quality. I had a 3gb version of Fight Club that was the same quality as their 1.6gb 720p version.

Cheers for this Shakey will definitely check it out, have been looking for some higher quality torrents for ages!

Im not sure if I'm allowed to post this but I will until someone takes it down. But if anyone is looking for a good site to download movies (legally of course biggrin.png) there is a newish site called YIFY TORRENTS (google is friend). I don't know how the site owner does it but he compresses full 720p and 1080 BluRay rips to 700mb for 720p and usually about 1.5gb for 1080p.

Cheers for this Shakey will definitely check it out, have been looking for some higher quality torrents for ages!

+1. Just finished "acquiring" a 1080p version of Pulp Fiction (I intend to review it on here soon for those yet to see it!) and had a quick preview and it does look amazing. I've seen a few people compress high quality movies to ridiculously small sizes but this website is great and has heaps of them. Cheers dude! :thumb:

Edited by keyhole150

I use Kat.ph now that BitTorrent is gone. I've tried to avoid talking about downloading movies to make this thread more legit lol.

^^ditto^^

have not had any issues with them so am happy.

I use Kat.ph now that BitTorrent is gone. I've tried to avoid talking about downloading movies to make this thread more legit lol.

I modified my post just for you haha. I use Kat.ph fairly heavily as well.

yea Kick ass is a great site too, that and EZTV were all I used until I downloaded one of Yify's movies from KAT, I read the banner and checked out the site. It is great.

Anything Yify doesn't have I get from KAT. But nothing compares to the size and quality that I've seen on Yify.

Anyway anyone seen Haywire with Gina Carino. I have it and flicked though it, honestly it looks pretty terrible. The trailer makes it look bad ass, but from what I've seen.... :unsure:

Saw a few movies based on real life events.

Behind Enemy Lines

http://en.wikipedia....nes_(2001_film)

A war movie depicting the Bosnian war where thousands of people were killed in the act of genocide. This movie doesn't really go into detail about that, but it's the setting where a US plane is shot down by Bosnian rebels and the pilot uses his training to evade the rebel army as they try to hunt him down and kill him. This is one of the best roles I've ever seen Owen Wilson in, and he really should stop doing all the cheesy Ben Stiller movies. Even though this movie only has a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's a great movie with real suspense. There are parts to it that are very cliché and cheesy, but if you look past that, this is an excellent war movie.

220px-Behind_Enemy_Lines_movie.jpg

Alpha Dog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Dog

A young guy, Johnny, is working for his dad selling weed and has a large group of hangers-on. They are living the Hollywood lifestyle where it's countless house parties full of girls and drugs without a care in the world. A few of Johnny's friends have a debt with him for drugs and are essentially his servants. One of these relationships turn sour and it soon escalates into serious warfare between them. Johnny kidnaps the younger brother of the dude he's fighting with until the debt is repaid. This only gets the police involved and they see no way out other than killing the kid and hiding the body. This is all based on a true story which has only recently wrapped up in the courts and this movie is pretty much as real as it gets. All characters and events happened in real life. I'm not a fan of Justin Timberlake, but he does an awesome job in this.

215px-Alphadog_posterbig.jpg

Edited by steveP

That's the new standards that the "release groups" are using now. They recently changed to use h264 so most TV releases will be 150mb and most 720p movies will be 700mb. Pretty much anything coming out since about 2 months ago should follow those specs.

Just saw God Bless America, i thought it was great!

Loveless, jobless and possibly terminally ill, Frank has had enough of the downward spiral of America. With nothing left to lose, Frank takes his gun and decides to off the stupidest, cruelest and most repellent members of society with an unusual accomplice: 16-year-old Roxy, who shares his sense of rage and disenfranchisement. From stand-up comedian and director Bobcat Goldthwait comes a scathing and hilarious attack on all that is sacred in the United States of America.

Imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4CZrnEFxU

Edited by Nissan_Gts

^^^ Cheers for the tip, I actually forgot all about God Bless America

Yeah I saw it tonight, it was a pretty decent flick, very very low budget but executed very well. Proving once again you don't need a budget of multi millions to make a good movie. The trailer pretty much sums it up. Downside is the movie ends up just feeling like a long rant. It gets pretty dark and depressing at times and I did check the time of couple of times.

Anyway its certainly worth a watch it brings up some very valid points about American society.

7/10

a couple of drug/crime related films that i would recommend

Narc (2002)

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Narc_(film)

Narc is a 2002 crime film about corrupt police involved in the illegal drug trade. It was released to critical acclaim and moderate commercial success. It was written and directed by Joe Carnahan. The plot revolves around the efforts of two police detectives as they search for the murderer of an undercover police officer. As they proceed in the investigation they engage in suspect tactics and give viewers a glimpse into the seedy side of undercover work.

Just watched this the other day, intense storyline that keeps you guessing right until the end. a much different role by Ray Liotta but played very well. 9/10

Narc.jpg

Traffic (2000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_(2000_film)

Traffic is a 2000 American crime drama film directed by Stephen Soderbergh and written by Stephen Gaghan. It explores the illegal drug trade from a number of perspectives: a user, an enforcer, a politician and a trafficker. Their stories are edited together throughout the film, although some of the characters do not meet each other.

i watched this awhile back, also a very good film. 9/10

traffic.jpg

Edited by Sambo7

I've had a copy of Traffic since 2001 when it came out on DVD and still haven't gotten around to watching it. Shame on me lol.

HOLY ROLLERS (2010)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1143896/

MV5BMTMzNjE4NDU1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAwNzQ0Mw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Staring the dude from the social network this is a pretty decent story about Jews importing ecstasy in the states in the late 90s. Apparently inspired by true event this isn't quite the Jewish version of Blow but it still a decent drug trafficking movie. Worth a watch that's for sure. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrjeUDYIc4

Edited by Shakey Bones

Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story

http://en.wikipedia....Carpenter_Story

A bit of a controversial documentary/re-enactment of the life and death of Karen Carpenter from the music group The Carpenters. The reason I sought out a copy was because of the rarity of the film. It was released in 1987; however in 1990 the Carpenter family (who had nothing to do with the film) filed a lawsuit against the director for illegal use of The Carpenters' music. The family won the court case and all copies of the film were ordered to be destroyed, and it became illegal to buy or rent the film. The film itself is quite weird, as it's entirely played by Barbie dolls. It's weird at first, but you soon become used to it and forget you're watching figurines with voiceovers. The main character's doll (Karen) was whittled away to show her progressive stages of anorexia. I can't really recommend this movie unless you like novelty films.

Superstar_The_Karen_Carpenter_Story_cover.jpg

The Thing

http://en.wikipedia....hing_(1982_film)

A cult 80s horror film I hadn't gotten around to seeing until now. This film gets mentioned a lot, so I was expecting big things, but I was a bit disappointed. The premise is cool; scientists in Antarctica uncover a frozen alien which has been buried for 100,000 years. The alien has the ability to infect anyone who it touches and take over their body and mind, but appear real to everyone else. The alien gets into a US camp and everyone gets a case of paranoia, not knowing who is real or an alien duplicate. The movie gave me claustrophobia as everyone was in this snowed in camp where everything is dark. Maybe it just isn't my type of movie, but I was expecting more from it. The 2011 film which came out last year is a prequel and explains more about the alien.

215px-ThingPoster.jpg

Bra Boys

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0951318/

A documentary about the infamous Bra Boys. I was expecting this documentary to go into who these gang members were and the conflicts they cause within society. Rather, the film focused mainly on their surfing achievements and how the community loves them, despite their long criminal history. Something didn't make sense, and then at the end of the film you learn that one of the Bra Boys is the director and it's basically a self promoting film. Very underwhelming and disappointing.

MV5_BNDcz_MTQy_Mz_Aw_NF5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_Ft_ZTcw_NDc5_Mj_Y2_MQ.jpg

Edited by steveP

Secret Window

http://en.wikipedia....i/Secret_window

One of my favourite films, a Johnny Depp classic. Depp plays his character to perfection in this role a really worthy watch. Not to give much away this a quick overview of the plot - Mort (J.Depp) plays a successful author whos currently going through a divorce with his wife after finding out she had an affair. He procrastinates finalizing the divorce by retreating to his secluded cabin in the rural town. Depressed and suffering from writer's block he is confronted one day by John Shooter, a dairy farmer who accuses him of plagiarism and leaves his manuscript behind for Mort to read. Mort reads the story and is surprised to discover its resemblance to his own story "Secret Window". The story really takes off from here, a must watch.

220px-Secret_Window_movie.jpg

Great movie, cheers for the recomendation.

Ichi the Killer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichi_the_Killer_(film)

A movie that came up often when researching 'disturbing films'. A Japanese film following a faction of the yakuza gang trying to figure out where their boss has gone; kidnapped, murdered or ran away with a bunch of money. The search and interrogation is led by Kakihara, a sadistic psychopath who takes pleasure in torturing his own body and others who get in his way. Meanwhile Ichi, a shy, bullied adolescent is being subconsciously controlled to carry out the dirty work of a hit-man. Even though Ichi is very shy; when bullied he starts crying and turns into a ruthless killer. Ichi and the Yukuzu eventually run into each other and some spectacular killing occurs. I can see how people would rate this movie as disturbing, as there is some pretty full on torture scenes, but this was filmed in 2001 on a low budget and the CGI is pretty terrible and unrealistic. This is definitely one of those movies everyone will remember after watching.

220px-Ichithekillerposter.jpg

Pet Sematary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sematary_(film)

Another 80s Stephen King horror film based off one of his books. The premise is that anything buried beyond the 'pet sematary' will reanimate and come back as a zombie-like evil version of what it was. A family loses their son to a traffic accident, and the grief-stricken father buries the body on the ancient Indian burial site, against the advice of a resident who once did it before. There are a lot of plot holes and things which make you go 'really, as if'. Like when the mother gets a flat tyre, so instead of changing it, ditches the car and starts walking randomly into the night. But I think if you're a fan of Stephen King and you're watching this in the right mindset, it can be genuinely scary. I found it amusing that the old neighbour in this inspired the South Park character (below) who randomly pops up and advises against burying people at the Indian burial site.

215px-Pet_sematary_poster.jpg

sp_0514_11_v6.jpg?width=480

Pet Sematary Two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sematary_Two

Seeing I had the squeal, I thought I may as well watch it. It basically follows the first film about 5 years on and acknowledges the previous characters. Weirdly this has Edward Furlong (John Connor from Terminator 2) in his follow up movie and the dude from ER (TV series). This movie pretty much rinses and repeats the story of the first film where someone and their pet dies and they try to bring them back as if they hadn't died. An evil version returns and wreaks havoc. The story is a little more in depth than the first one, but the scary element is gone as you know what's coming and it's even worse than you expected.

220px-Pet_sematary_ii_ver2.jpg

Edited by steveP

I came across some childhood movies I could barely remember, but must have watched hundreds of times on VHS until the tape was unwatchable.

The Goonies

http://en.wikipedia....iki/The_Goonies

Everyone should have seen this movie, and if you haven't, shoot yourself. One of the all time 'preadolescence adventure movies'. A group of every token kid you can think of (nerdy Asian, tough older brother, wimpy younger brother with new-found courage, the fat kid, etc) set out to save their house by finding a hidden treasure. They get more than they bargained for as they have to navigate booby-traps and villains; but they all grow as people and save the day. It's so corny, yet classic 80s. Great nostalgia value watching this and I'm sure kids of today will love it as well.

220px-The_Goonies.jpg

Problem Child

http://en.wikipedia....em_Child_(film)

Not as iconic, but this is still just as charming. A mischievous orphan keeps getting returned to the orphanage due to his delinquent behaviour. A couple who can't conceive adopt him and try to look past his wicked ways and love him none the less. They are pushed to their limits as he continuously terrorises the neighbourhood. He starts a pen-pal with a convicted killer who escaped prison (Kramer from Seinfeld). He meets up with the kid thinking he's a fellow inmate on the run. The movie is very cheesy and is rather hard to enjoy if you're older than 10, but it brought back some memories. I can't really recommend it though.

220px-Problem_Child.JPG

Edited by steveP

Bloody hell Steve do you watch any movies made after 1999? Hahaha, but some good movies there.

88 Mintues

A college professor (Al Pacino), who moonlights as a forensic psychiatrist for the FBI, receives a death threat that says he has only 88 minutes to live. To save his life, he must use all his skills and training to narrow down the possible suspects, which include a disgruntled student, a jilted former lover and a serial killer on death row. It actually turned out pretty dam good. Although I had a pretty good idea who the killer was before the end it did kind of keep me guessing right until the end.

The is a pretty good thriller and worth your time. 7.5/10

Haywire

Mallory Kane is a highly trained operative who works for a government security contractor in the dirtiest, most dangerous corners of the world. After successfully freeing a Chinese journalist held hostage, she is double crossed and left for dead by someone close to her in her own agency. Suddenly the target of skilled assassins who know her every move, Mallory must find the truth in order to stay alive. Using her black-ops military training, she devises an ingenious--and dangerous--trap. But when things go haywire (pun hahaha), Mallory realizes she'll be killed in the blink of an eye unless she finds a way to turn the tables on her ruthless adversary.

Maybe because the trailer looked so bad ass I had way too high hopes for this movie and it really let me down. The fight scenes I wouldn't even consider them as good a TAKEN, and while Gina Carano is pretty got BLU RAY HIGH DEF does not suit her very well. But overall it is the writing and the script that lets this movie down. Over all not a bad movie but easily forgettable. 6/10.

Edited by Shakey Bones

Pulp Fiction

Not much to say about this one. Cult classic and for a reason. I'd never actually fully watched this movie and I've now been kicking myself ever since I did watch it. Quite easily one of the best performances by both Jackson and Travolta, it's easy to see how this has gained such a following. A quirky action film with plenty of hilarious moments, I'd advise anyone who hasn't yet seen this to do so immediately.

9/10

Arguably one of the best scenes from the movie (Note there is language so possible NSFW or around young kids):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs