Sign in to follow this  
Turndown

What to look for When Buying an S13

Hey.

I'm looking at buying an S13, I'm 17 and looking for one suitable for a P-Plater in QLD.

I can't have a turbo, so i know I have to look for an SR20de or Ca18de.

What are some common problems that I should look for?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Your question has been answered many times before.

The best way to search the forums is not to used the in-built search feature but to use Google - type in the terms you want to search followed by 'site:nissansilvia.com' without the quotes.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=492853

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=353896

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=429737

Hey.

I'm looking at buying an S13, I'm 17 and looking for one suitable for a P-Plater in QLD.

I can't have a turbo, so i know I have to look for an SR20de or Ca18de.

What are some common problems that I should look for?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Common problems you should look for is the same for any car that you want to buy, and everyone shops differently

Some like rusty beat up cars for a project build that they never finish, and some are patient and wait for the nice clean ones to come and pay good money for it, s13 are cheap anyways so a good one at a decent price is a steal already

its as simple as buying a shirt, you dont like, no one is forcing you to buy it and wear it, if i like it, might be a size to big or small but you'll grow into it.

but to answer your question more direct, find a s13, then ask yourself, do you like it? YES? WHY?.....NO? WHY DONT YOU LIKE IT? its pretty much goes like this until you buy the car or end up walking away.

If you listen to much to forum people, you'll end up with a car you dont want

oh and bring someone with you that knows about s13 or is pretty good on cars in general, they'll know what to ask about cars

Ok thanks JDM obsession, Ill give it a go

And much appreciated Toyrismo :)

Like Toyrismo said, shop around.

Bring a friend who is knowledgable about cars, as they may be able to steer you away from the duds.

Mechanical knowledge aside, they won't build an emotional attachment with some aspects of the car that you may (e.g. wheels, paint, kit, etc), and will encourage you to assess the car as a whole.

Make sure you get a thorough inspection by a mechanic you trust, or an experienced and competent friend.

Also, being a P plater, try to find a reasonably stock example.

To avoid unnecessary drama with the police, you want to cover the basic points of cop inspection, meaning:

- Stock air box

- Exhaust not too loud

- Car not [obviously] too low

- Kit not too outrageous

- Legit paperwork

- Clearly not a turbo (you know this already)

- Wheels not [obviously] too big (i.e. consider 17" a maximum)

Last, I recommend your own it in your name, rather than a parent's name.

Your insurance may be higher, but judging by the recent experiences of my housemate's friend... it could avoid your car being sold from underneath you.

make sure its turbo, or else ur gonna make a thread on "how do i get my na to go harder"

make sure its turbo, or else ur gonna make a thread on "how do i get my na to go harder"

ahaha

important thing to do is t run a background check on the car i.e if it has been rego before run a vehicle iD check on it using the vicroads site

http://www.vehiclestatuscheck.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

last thing u want to do is buy a car thats been stolen, written off etc etc

and then do ur basic check, ride height, modifications if any (shouldnt have much)

and just the ware and tare on the car coz of its age

Ok, thanks guys. All of this information is valuable. I'm looking at one at the moment and the only mods are coilovers and 17's. I have asked the seller if he would put it into a mechanic to see what it needs for a roadworthy if I organize It, would that be a smart move?

Sounds fine as long as the owner is happy for you to do so. But being a 20 year old car, there are bound to be issues - the question being how big or how small.

May I ask what mechanic you're getting to inspect the car?

Ok, thanks guys. All of this information is valuable. I'm looking at one at the moment and the only mods are coilovers and 17's. I have asked the seller if he would put it into a mechanic to see what it needs for a roadworthy if I organize It, would that be a smart move?

I'm not sure who I am sending it too yet, I have also considered taking my mechanic out with me if I go for an inspection, he has worked on the families cars for years and he has always done good honest work for a good price.

FORD MONDEO!

Also, get State Roads or such to inspect it. Unless you have a friendly mechanic that has time to waste.

Ok Check these:

Oil leaks around head

No leaks under the car

Check exhaust is hanging correctly

Check for rust (Around sunroof if it has one and boot area - spare tyre area)

Listen for any rattling or knocking coming from inside motor

Make sure the throttle response is all there

Check oil is not milky

Check oil is in the engine

Make sure gearbox is smooth

If clutch is soft at all - it will prob need replacing soon

If engine seems to have alot of play - most likely new engine mounts are needed

Check that the rims are not buckled in anyway (I.E previous owner hits a gutter)

Check Coolant color (if brown, its old and hasn't been changed in ages - If green then is good)

Make sure brakes are not spongy.

These are some basic checks that you can do when having a look a the car.

Good luck! :quagmire:

Coilovers = Check your towers, The S chassis is known for fatiguing and fracturing under the stress of coilovers.

Other than that, Unless its a DET It's pretty much the same as inspecting any other car. Check for leaks, rattles, knocks, rust etc.

make sure it's rwd.

And SR20DE. The extra 200cc really matters when looking at naturally-aspirated cars, OP.

Honestly, just like I told the guy a few weeks ago - if you have to ask what to check, your better off getting someone else to check it, then learning it in a rush.

Sate Roads. You use Google to get their number, call them, book a next day appointment.

They charge like 250 for on the spot inspection which includes a top-to-bottom check and a drive.

When you think you have a nice car, call em up. Pay attention to what the guy inspects. Best way to learn.

Be nice, ask some friendly questions.

If the car is a dud, you'll know much more and what to check next time yourself.

watch out for leaking boot - my mates sil does this.

and rust around sunroof. mines farked and i pretty much got to cut off the whole roof lol.

and rust around sunroof. mines farked and i pretty much got to cut off the whole roof lol.

and make it convertible.. you shoud have suggested rallye back then..:P

Ok thanks again,

$250 sounds fair I'll look into organizing that, and beersandwhich, are you talking about the steering boot?

Or boot, boot

They know their stuff. However... not as much as some people.

For example I went to buy a S14 with a mate.

He knew that I knew my stuff, but he still insisted on state roads.

I picked up all he did plus more. For example I knew the pigeon sound was coz of a block BoV, not coz of the air filter - what he said.

A Plus for you, coz your paying them, if you show some intrest they'll be happy to share some knoladge into what they are looking at/for.

Just make sure you keep saying you'll get them next time if you need another one.

I'm saying this coz honestly I read some peoples advice, and I'm like... yeah right... maybe if your going all out and if you suspect something...

Then some things are just like... yeah who cares.

Anyway. I'm doing some serious procrasting.

and make it convertible.. you shoud have suggested rallye back then..:P

its probably easier to make it a convertible. that way i dont have to weld on a replacement roof :)

S13 is the most selling world wide so that’s why I want to know that this is interesting in this. I can start research S13 and after read, this start write my research papers with your article help and this research is helpful world wide.