Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

LinkedIn

In the last 6-12 months I have had more connection requests than the entire time I have been a part of the LinkedIn network

Has anyone else experienced this and what are you doing with the sudden influx of requests?

Is the social media platform that addictive that people feel the need to 'connect' with you for no other reason than to increase their connection count?

Is this a good/bad thing?

Have people upgraded their accounts to premium versions to stop this from happening?

Ive got a LinkedIn but i don't use it, i just made it when going for a job, and i know alot of others who done this just made 1 up to "show off" where theyve worked and easier for people to see your references.

Some of my work colleges use it, i have somebody who i was working with he uses it like a Facebook spamming the shit thru it with everything he does and promoting products... I cant see it being popular its mainly for Office Job people.. Im sure facebook will integrate it somehow or just buy them out.

hmm there has been a lot of talk about LinkedIn lately, have they done something to draw everyone in?

I've been meaning to login and update my profile

also, I'm really paranoid about linked in, all someone has to do is google my name and LinkedIn comes up - they can see exactly where I work

I'm the same. I think it's just starting to take off!

People are even talking about it more at conventions and seminars.

I put 'professional office prankster' as my title when I signed up ages ago.. Couldn't have cared less about it... And then when I was going for job interviews a while later, the employer who was interviewing me said "Professional office prankster hey?" I was like Uhhhhh.... "LinkedIn".. "Ohhhhh" :lol: yeah cool story

^ Ha

For me it has practically replaced the need for business cards; and spot on Re; conferences - most people end a conversation with "LinkedIn me and we will catch up".

I can't say I mind the idea of having a large network but getting connection requests from your hairdresser is just plain awkward... :lol:

Fun tip for beginners; don't bother upgrading your profile to a premium account ($900/yr) because Google's search engine bypasses the security settings :lol:

In the last 6-12 months I have had more connection requests than the entire time I have been a part of the LinkedIn network

Has anyone else experienced this and what are you doing with the sudden influx of requests?

Is the social media platform that addictive that people feel the need to 'connect' with you for no other reason than to increase their connection count?

Is this a good/bad thing?

Have people upgraded their accounts to premium versions to stop this from happening?

I disagree with this from the word go.

The sole purpose of linked in is to network I found it great for meeting new connections and so forth.

The reason why it is good is because it is aimed at "professionals" not at kids so you don't get people adding whoever they can. IT AWESOME btw did anyone see the IPO on linked in HOLY SHIT!

^ Ha

For me it has practically replaced the need for business cards; and spot on Re; conferences - most people end a conversation with "LinkedIn me and we will catch up".

I can't say I mind the idea of having a large network but getting connection requests from your hairdresser is just plain awkward... :lol:

Fun tip for beginners; don't bother upgrading your profile to a premium account ($900/yr) because Google's search engine bypasses the security settings :lol:

So true :lol:

LinkedIn isn't just a business card, it's your resume!! An example would be Dan getting caught out lol.

In saying that, i haven't touched my account in ages. I really should log on!

So are you guys all ok with the fact that anyone in the world can "LinkedIn" your name and see where you work??

yeah, doesn't bother me.

i don't actively "use" linkedin. i'm on there and have a f**ktonne of connections, but i've never asked someone to add me to their linked in, nor have i ever said, "Check out my LinkedIn" or anything like that.

i noticed when marketing at work all got the boot, my incomming connections went through the f**king roof :lol:

linkedin had a huge boom on the stock exchange about a month ago shares got upto $121 a pop at one point put it on the front page of every tech news site and some non tech ones two not sure if that would be creating the influx

it was the first id heard of it too, it was described to me as the professional facebook too and aparently huge in america to the point where if your resume doesnt just say "visit my linkedin page here" it gets thrown out :S

you wouldnt think friend whores would be good for this site, no professional is gonna paw through your 4000 friends to see if any of them are more important then your hairdresser, i can see the point if your a hair dresser though if you've got thousands of friends you must know your cuts

This must have been why LinkedIn got so popular all of a sudden:

"In January 2011, LinkedIn acquired CardMunch, a mobile app maker that scans business cards and converts into contacts. LinkedIn plans to integrate this functionality into their services in the near future."

I'm still not a fan of it, and i think its just a huge "Resume/Job Finder" sure it would be good when your looking for a Job but when your not its useless imo.

I was getting random emails from people asking am i after a job, So i removed all the details from my LinkedIn and purely just left my previous experiences, but i still get people asking me to "Endorse" them, bah i guess its good as 1 day when you leave your job you should have a nice stack of References, but seriously its not like somebody is going to leave a comment saying "Total jackass, spent the day smashing bongs behind the office"

This morning I logged in and updated my profile/added pic/etc but as I was saying if someone ever wants to troll me (or anyone else on LinkedIn for that matter) all they need to do is Google my name then write a (probably hilarious) email to my boss/CEO

My big bro reckons you needs to have a linked in account if you work in the it industry. i dont know why. apparently everyones on it

My workmate has a LinkedIn account, he is the Major Projects Manager for my work and has actually had quite a few job offers from people viewing his profile ect.

I haven't started one... mind you I still need to update my resume anyway!

i have an account, dont use it.

professionals communicate via email anyways

My big bro reckons you needs to have a linked in account if you work in the it industry. i dont know why. apparently everyones on it

none of my jobs have come from linked in. one of them came from an agency (agencies in SA are useless if you're in web, to any poor unsuspecting people out there) and the rest were word of mouth.

Agencies, in SA at least, are pathetic. Mine didn't know what a refrigeration mechanic was, not to mention not having the ability to view PDF documents. That was Workskill.

not to mention not having the ability to view PDF documents. That was Workskill.

haah, yeah i know what u mean, its so stupid!

I think linked is great to create connections with a potential customer or joint venture. I've yet to learn much or master it but I do see some potentials in it when it comes to business strategies. Although I never thought of using it for getting jobs until I read the post here.

I'm on it. Not too active, but if you want a career in the digital industry, it's a good place to start.

I also got a job interview through Twitter. Social media is great...so long as you watch what you put online.

I'm on it. Not too active, but if you want a career in the digital industry, it's a good place to start.

I also got a job interview through Twitter. Social media is great...so long as you watch what you put online.

I'm interested to know how Twitter would get you a job interview. I thought you could only update your 'status' on Twitter for people following you? Just interested as I don't really know the workings of Twitter.

i have an account, dont use it.

professionals communicate via email anyways

Smoke signals bro, it's all about the smoke signals.

I don't have one.

Didn't even know about it. Lol

Might have a looksie though, will help me find a real job once I'm finished at tafe.

Edited by zeropsi

Working in the IT industry, I've been meaning to create a LinkedIn account for a while now. This whole social media / social recruiting (via linkedIn / FB etc) is also starting to take off too. I know deloitte for example are hiring most of their new staff just through employee referrals / social networks. I just have to get around to creating an account...

If you have a LinkedIn account, probably should change your password. News came out a few days ago that they have been hacked and they only used a weak hash on their passwords. Apparently something like 6 million unique passwords, which could be all of them as many people use the same passwords.

all passwords are up on pastebin.com in SHA1, so you can very quickly decrypt them but they are useless without matching usernames...which weren't released to the general public

Edited by mr_crust