Sign in to follow this  
GetNkD

cluster lights ?

hey guys,

Just got back from trying to change the blown bulbs from my cluster (jdm specR s15), ive search all the site but only tells what bulbs to use, my problem is which ones are the back lights? as i need to change asap as some have blown.

heres a pic of my cluster. if anyone can perhaps circle which particular bulbs are the back lights would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Heaps.

dsc00378wa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey guys dont worry about it, after a few attempts i finally figured out which bulbs werewhat. for future reference to others i have circled in red the specific bulbs which are the back lights for the cluster. all bulbs are T5 Wedge.

Cheers

backlights.jpg

Hey guys dont worry about it, after a few attempts i finally figured out which bulbs werewhat. for future reference to others i have circled in red the specific bulbs which are the back lights for the cluster. all bulbs are T5 Wedge.

Cheers

backlights.jpg

awesome post dude.

Do you have to solder them? or do they come out another way? Im gonna change mine to white

If you want to change the colour to white it will look shithouse due to the orange backing in the cluster.

I think red kinda works but you'll have to remove that backing first if you want another colour.

awesome post dude.

Do you have to solder them? or do they come out another way? Im gonna change mine to white

No solder required. Just twist the plastic blobs on the back, and they slide out. The globes are a press-fit, so they simply pull out of the socket.

Reinstallation is the reverse.

If changing to LEDs, buy the wedge globe replacement variety, and they install the same way as the OEM incandescent globes.

As RobJDM stated, the S15 cluster has an orange filter. Red, orange and yellow LEDs will work well. White will produce an incipid version of stock.

Take note that removal of the filter involves sanding the back of the dial card, and the chances of damage or scratches is quite high. Not worth it imo, especially when orange and red look so good.

Pmod do you know where can you get led wedges for interior? Jay car?

hey champ, i got mine from ebay.

white led (3 wedge) t5. but it kinda looks shit house so i might just go back to the oem bulbs. probably buy from nissan dealership or something..

does anybody know what colour are the original bulbs?? cause im thinking of either getting oem bulbs or just get same colour but LED ones??

Sorry I meant for the interior lights not the cluster.

Maybe orange LEDs would be the way to go.

white led (3 wedge) t5. but it kinda looks shit house so i might just go back to the oem bulbs. probably buy from nissan dealership or something..

Yep, eBay is where I've bought them too. Just confirm they send you the correct assortment of bulbs before opening (I got an N15 Pulsar set instead of a 180sx set once... no labelling on the packet).

Also, should one fail to work, it will be caused by a dry solder joint. Either return them, or do as I did and slice open the plastic housing and re-wet the solder.

Iirc Jaycar still sell LED replacements for the dome light which work fairly well. The map lights will probably be another eBay job though.

It's not listed on their website, but it's well known that their site is hopeless (I live with Jaycar peeps).

I should mention that 'orange' LEDs look reasonably red to the human eye, whereas yellow waterclear LEDs actually look closer to orange.

Pop down to Jaycar and ask them to demo some before you buy.

hey guys,

heres a recent picture of my cluster with the new LED's (white), sorry the quality isnt that great on my phone, when changing the back light u can see now my time is blue which looks good, but not really fan of the back lights, perhaps i'll just use to the oem bulbs, i might end up changing them to red leds or orange so i can get the oem look. wasnt to sure which color to get thats why.

if others could post there cluster and what colour lights they used would be beneficial for not just me but others on here for future reference.

Cheers guys :)

image377.jpg

Hey guys my car must be the only one cause everyone keeps saying they are t5 globes but mine take t6.5 globes I bought led wedge types off eBay and they are excellent much better than the normal globes

Hey guys my car must be the only one cause everyone keeps saying they are t5 globes but mine take t6.5 globes I bought led wedge types off eBay and they are excellent much better than the normal globes

oh really? wow never heard of t6.5 before. by the way what color globes did u get from ebay ??

Awesome thanks man.

Yep, eBay is where I've bought them too. Just confirm they send you the correct assortment of bulbs before opening (I got an N15 Pulsar set instead of a 180sx set once... no labelling on the packet).

Also, should one fail to work, it will be caused by a dry solder joint. Either return them, or do as I did and slice open the plastic housing and re-wet the solder.

Iirc Jaycar still sell LED replacements for the dome light which work fairly well. The map lights will probably be another eBay job though.

It's not listed on their website, but it's well known that their site is hopeless (I live with Jaycar peeps).

I should mention that 'orange' LEDs look reasonably red to the human eye, whereas yellow waterclear LEDs actually look closer to orange.

Pop down to Jaycar and ask them to demo some before you buy.

no worries champ.. perhaps go red led's white didnt turn out to welll and you can see the yellow filter everyone is talking about. good luck

Your actually correct. I bought t5s and there a tiny bit to small. They fit and work but yes 6.5 would fit alot better.

Mines red :)

With the LED's make sure you get the 360 degree ones... otherwise it doesnt look as nice... I did abit of researching and some examples of what I mean are shown in this link:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/177697-how-repair-s14-hvac-doesnt-light-up.html

Proper 360 LED's

ImportedPhotos00011.jpg

Normal LED - note how its all blotch and uneven...

DSC03057.jpg

That's y I used SMD LEDs :)

Ive always wanted to convert pretty much every bulb in the car to LED. You guys know what size the tail lights and tail indicators are? I know the sizes for the others...

Ive always wanted to convert pretty much every bulb in the car to LED. You guys know what size the tail lights and tail indicators are? I know the sizes for the others...

On an ADM s15 the indicator is a t20 and the reverse light is t15. If you want to change the cluster try to source EL dials. LED's look dud on an s15... I've changed my roof light and maps lights to led. They look amazing now. Well worth the effort :D

yeah i got to agree with ya, the LED's turn out shit house.. i just changed mine again and gave red a try.. looks shit.. back to oem bulbs!! damn they cost alot though..

286005_10150266671909455_538294454_7310963_6615656_o.jpg

Did mine myself one night (because of blown globes). Literally went to JayCar Electronics, bought $30 worth of resitors/LEDs and put it all together with a soldering iron. Was quite easy to do, also looks a lot less blotchy in real life. (Is on an R32)

^^ nice! yours turned out pretty good. i know of afew people who have tried blue on the s15 cluster, cant see anything. lol the JayCar Electronics around my area have shit all and service is so bad.. dont bother with them.. ill try get a pic of my new red cluster, i tried last time but it was still hard to see on my 8 megapixel camera :S

Topic and all arguments of the norm are filled for the adjacent roles of the public. The nature of the essayedge.com review is implied for the conditions. The reformation is done for students. Its impact is run for the fulcrum in the might and all forms for the width of the blocks for the attachment for all students.