Sign in to follow this  
J12

s15 brakes on 180sx - issues

Ok ive got a type x and ive recently taken it to a performance shop to have the brakes changed over from s13 to s15 brakes. im lucky i did, because whoever i bought the brakes off was a dumbass and didnt take them off the s15 properly. the s15 ABS was ruined so the shop drilled the s15 holes so that my s13 abs would fit with the brakes. But since receiving it back ive noticed a few problems and i was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction:

when the car is idling (never when driving) i now have 2 issues. If im idling and my foot is off the clutch, the cars engine makes a louder sound than when my foot is on the clutch ( like a rumbling, grinding sound, but its almost background noise). Also, randomly i get a noise like a raspy scratching from behind my air con vents but it quickly goes away...only to come back. I did have them service my car and fix two oil leaks, so this could be the source of the problem.

When i brake hard (going over 50km/h) it is louder than usual. sometimes i think its almost like an aircraft landing. Also, my brake seems deeper - less responsive than the old brakes. its like i have to push the pedal down a bit harder than i used to to stop quicker. Why is this? im not sure if the BMC was changed or not, would this affect the conversion?

headlights - upon trying to change one of my bulbs, i discover that two of the screws holding the headlight bracket in place have been corroded and the screw heads are destroyed. i can only assume that i have to drill them out.

Can anyone point me int he right direction as to what the source of these issues could be. im taking it back to the workshop tomorrow to see what they can do.

Ok ive got a type x and ive recently taken it to a performance shop to have the brakes changed over from s13 to s15 brakes. im lucky i did, because whoever i bought the brakes off was a dumbass and didnt take them off the s15 properly. the s15 ABS was ruined so the shop drilled the s15 holes so that my s13 abs would fit with the brakes. But since receiving it back ive noticed a few problems and i was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction:

what does abs have to do with the calipers? how can the abs be ruined? are you sure you dont mean brake lines? it is quite common to remove the olive from the s15 calipers so you can use the s13 banjo bolt when attatching the brake lines

when the car is idling (never when driving) i now have 2 issues. If im idling and my foot is off the clutch, the cars engine makes a louder sound than when my foot is on the clutch ( like a rumbling, grinding sound, but its almost background noise). Also, randomly i get a noise like a raspy scratching from behind my air con vents but it quickly goes away...only to come back. I did have them service my car and fix two oil leaks, so this could be the source of the problem.

throw out bearing and check for any leafs stuck in the aircon vents and blower motor

When i brake hard (going over 50km/h) it is louder than usual. sometimes i think its almost like an aircraft landing. Also, my brake seems deeper - less responsive than the old brakes. its like i have to push the pedal down a bit harder than i used to to stop quicker. Why is this? im not sure if the BMC was changed or not, would this affect the conversion?

were they new pads and discs? this is normal when they are bedding in. What BMC are you using? BM44 should be fine.

headlights - upon trying to change one of my bulbs, i discover that two of the screws holding the headlight bracket in place have been corroded and the screw heads are destroyed. i can only assume that i have to drill them out.

you can drill them out or try some vice grips as they wont be that tight anyway

Can anyone point me int he right direction as to what the source of these issues could be. im taking it back to the workshop tomorrow to see what they can do.

if all they did was the brake conversion, the other problems wouldn't have been caused by them

Brake lines were ntact but the s15 abs had been corroded and torn straight off. I did a google search and read about the throw out bearing, with the ar con sound my air con does have a leak but its never actually on, thesound has been occuring ever since ive bought the car and ive cleaned everywhere. They are neew rear discs and new rear pads, but te sound seems like its coming from the front, ill leave it for a while to be sure.

The shop did everything incl brakes, new rotors and pads, service, fixing power steering rack and gearbox (major) leaks. There were no sounds or faults besides two oil leaks before i had all of this done, but im not blaming them, just want them to fix the problems.

thanks for the help!

If your brakes are spongy and you have to press it deeper before it stops (assuming you have right bmc) maybe they didn't bleed it properly and there's air in the lines?

yer u migh have a problem with the master cylinder or the booster