Sign in to follow this  
pig1jz

how to do lobster back piping

so im after some tips on doing lobster back piping.

any info to make the job ezyer would be grate.

not so much the welding side but the cuting and geting your angels all right.

I'll do a write up when I'm free

Got a bit of work on at the moment there is a formula to use that way all your segments are all the same size

here is one i done out of sheet metal

as u can see each segment is the same size as each other

IMG_0887.JPG

the more segments u add the more of a nicer curve the end results will be

IMAG0073.jpg

its not important to use the formula

normally i just guess it

do you cut one end strate,or both on the angle???

do you cut one end strate,or both on the angle???

starter and finisher segment have one straight edge each

segments in between the starter and finisher have angled cuts on both ends

i should have some spare time to do a write up next week some time

ill explain the formula when i do my write up but as u can see both starter and finisher have straight edges on them

Segmental bend.JPG

the more segments u make it the nicer the curve becomes

post16611243341062m.jpg

when your doing your formula u can work out how many segments u want to make it

i dont get the post ^^

How do u not get that? lobster piping is based on matching up angle to get a smooth look

ill explain the formula when i do my write up but as u can see both starter and finisher have straight edges on them

Segmental bend.JPG

the more segments u make it the nicer the curve becomes

post16611243341062m.jpg

when your doing your formula u can work out how many segments u want to make it

f**k THAT LOOKS SEXY

im keen to find out that formula as well. what metal and welding method to u use

what metal and welding method to u use

that depends on u

u can weld it with what ever method u want and u use what ever metal u want

i prefer to use stainless and tig welding when doing lobster piping because it looks the nicest as u can see in the picture posted above

Doesn't lobster pipes f**k with air flow/turbulance?

if u add enough segments to get a nice curve its not to bad

it looks cool anyways

im thinking about redoing all my piping in lobster now just to show of but i dont want the extra weight of stainless piping

Yes, op probably want to make his piping shorter though, sacrifice?+?-?

that depends on u

i prefer to use stainless and tig welding when doing lobster piping because it looks the nicest as u can see in the picture posted above

Yeah fair enough i havent had much experience with TIG but i guess i can give it a try. if not ill just rust protect thin mild steel

Also ur car is amazingly hot man

that depends on u

Yeah fair enough i havent had much experience with TIG but i guess i can give it a try. if not ill just rust protect thin mild steel

Also ur car is amazingly hot man

thanks mate

ive got a bit of work on at the moment but as soon as ive finished it ill do a write up on the formula

i learnt from my old man because his a sheet metal worker and his always doing lobster back piping out of sheet metal and his got a short fuse

there are so many steps and every time i forgot some thing or did some thing wrong he would go of his head

Cazman you are awesome. Saved me the headache of figuring it out!!

Here's my drawing based on casman's tips.

Red line is where you cut.

Just continue that process, am I right?

untitled.JPG

Without ever actually fabricating a lobster pipe or reading anyting about it, I would imagine you just cut one angle then flip the pipe and cut another. Keep going until you've got enough to make the pipe you're after. This seems too simple am I missing something.

Interested to read said write up. Attempted it a while ago and back a bit of a head *swearing filters own me* trying to work out the angles other than on a simple 90 degree bend.

When i tried it for the fist time i just did a bit of basic drawing first (i only had to do a tight 90+ degree bend on a flat curve, I had the start and finish point of where i needed the pipes then working on around a 15 degree lines worked out how wide i needed each section, this only gave me a small amount of pieces but from there you can work on 10 degree or smaller for more section.

I'm only working with mild steel and a mig, but to start with its a bit more forgiving and cheaper to learn with

21022011689.jpg

^^ what did you use to cut the angles? hack saw? i can imagine it would take ages. i plan to do this also, wonder if i would be better to use a pipe bender or weld segments together.

hacksaw lol no way. All ive got is a drop saw not the best for this but will be using that. Can get perfect angles though. Noones got a pipe bender and this looks way better if you weld half decent.

used a metal drop saw so had to take a little bit of time to clean up all the edges and make sure the pipes were clean before it all went together

just as i thought, f##k hack saw haha. a drop saw can do all the angles etc, so that's what i was thinking. the welds do look better, but a pipe bender can be more suttle and easier to hide. but i was also wondering would the bender crimp around the edges or would heat need to be applied to make it a mandrel bend?

Heres how i do it ghetto backyard style!

Set the saw at 7.5 degrees and make a cut rotate 180 and then make another. put a bit of flat on the end of pipe and sit a level on it so you always cut at 180 degrees.

saw.jpg?t=1311664997

I just cut a whole bunch then cleaned them with had files.

pipe.jpg?t=1311665560

Next I build with tape.

pipe2.jpg?t=1311665561

Im sure there are better more accurate ways of doing this but I found this dead easy.

pipe1.jpg?t=1311665565

^ a mandrel bend implies use of a mandrel, so no heat.

You can buy pre bent steel for cheap, the only reason to do lobster is , cheaper when DIY, great for unique bends.

Most guys in the US do it just because it only costs you welding gas and that's it.

another reason is some metals cant be bent such as titanium so the only way to get a bend using titanium is to do it with lobster bends

Can anyone confirm this?

I've been considering doing a lobster tail 3" muffler pipe because I've been told it can help with droneing exhaust noise while driving if the exhaust is slightly directed to the ground.

Rotary boys have been doing the bent exhausts forever so I assumed the theory was correct, But I never thought about restricting air flow.

i bent titanium by sitting on it..

I have 0 welding experience but i'd do it as battery suggested, set your angle, cut, flip 180, do the otherend. Plus offcuts could be used to go back the other way.. for s bends etc.

Can anyone confirm this?

I've been considering doing a lobster tail 3" muffler pipe because I've been told it can help with droneing exhaust noise while driving if the exhaust is slightly directed to the ground.

Rotary boys have been doing the bent exhausts forever so I assumed the theory was correct, But I never thought about restricting air flow.

Fluids flow easier when boundary surfaces are smooth, ie. when there are no jagged sections etc. Jagged sections will cause turbulence, but how much it will affect exhaust flow may be very minimal and probs can be neglected.

As kemp said, the more sections u have, the smoother the bend will be = less turbulence.

how much wold it cost roughly to make an intake pipe for t28 sr