Sign in to follow this  
STR8E180

Shit talkers' thread

HICAS or High Capacity Actively Controlled Steering AKA Hindusthan College of Arts and Science.

s Nissan's rear wheel steering system found on cars ranging from the more recent Skyline and Fairlady Z (300ZX) iterations to smaller models like the Nissan Cefiro (A31), 240SX/Silvia (S13 & S15)/180SX and Nissan Serena/Nissan Largo. It is also found on models from Nissan's Infiniti division, such as the Q45, M45/M35 and G37. Unlike many other four wheel steering systems, HICAS and Super HICAS are fitted to improve handling rather than as a parking aid.

Earlier HICAS versions used hydraulics to steer the rear wheels. The hydraulic system was powered by the power steering pump and used speed sensors to determine how much and in which direction to steer the rear wheels. Later versions, called Super HICAS, moved to an electric actuator for the rear steering rack, making the system much lighter. The Super HICAS system also used its own computer to control the system instead of speed sensors. HICAS and Super HICAS rear wheel steering is limited to about 10 degrees in either direction.

HICAS was introduced on the 1986 (HICAS was almost used on the 1985 model but was not ready in time for production) Skyline GTS coupes (GTS, GTS-R, and GTS-X). The system was later adapted to work on many models in the Nissan range, beginning with the Passage GT.

Editors Note ~ items in Bold are my own working, all others are stolen from google after a 3 second google search of What does Hicas Stand for

• Upvote 2

One more time, in case you missed trying to be funny and a smart ass before you turned into the joke.

I highlighted for you're own safety

I don't know if I'm taking this to a new level, but when I run into these idiots I frequently quote the fast and the furious with the most serious face you can imagine, goes something like this -

Them. - Hey man nice car is it yours?

Me. - yeah I'm standing by it, you know its not how you stand by your car...

*opens bonnet*

Them. - why do you have 2 radiators?

Me. coz last time i blew the welds on the intake running a 100 shot of NOS

Them. - you have NOS!?

Me. - yeah its pretty much all I run.

When friends say stupid shit I will say "wanna make a bet?"

best bet I ever made - mate said - HICAS is only on the GTR skylines and it turns the wheels a bit in the opposite direction the fronts turn, like a monster truck...

my response - No, they actually camber the wheel, and they can be found on all sorts of Skylines and silvias, not just GTR's

mate - bet ya 100

Me - derp da derp da derpity derp

042f10_290452_zpsc0909655.png

Edited by brent47
  • Upvote 2

Ill bet you $100 that hicas doesn't change camber.

I'll counter your bet with adding camber will increase your HICAS.

bush-huh.jpg

Edited by steveP

I'll see your $100 bet and raise you 3 child soldiers that it cambers in opposite directions.

this forum f**king sucks, bring back the old silvia days...

where we actually had awesome technical discussions, monthly meets and events

now prospect silvia owners are going to wank forums like jdmst mightcarmods etc..

Loz brah delete the other shitty forums, they're no use.

Maybe not to you, but quite a few of us use them.

now prospect silvia owners are going to wank forums like jdmst mightcarmods etc..

Those forums are more about the f**kwit users than the cars they own.

Perhaps not a shit talker, but definitely a tool.

My father recently had his Aurion serviced, and among the huge list of checks for a rather pricey service, was a battery health check. Battery was given the all-clear, and less that one week later it died in the arse, forcing him to get a new one and fit it, in the process finding that the terminal posts were so heavily covered with corrosion that it was suprising that it had ever worked at all. He wasn't impressed, so he did some research on the tests that should have run, and called the garage back.

Old man spoke to the receptionist, discussed the problem and asked what they actually did, and the chick said she would ask the mechanic. First response was that "he said it looked ok", and after being told that "looking" at a battery is not a test, the next reply was "he said that it started fine". Old man told her that he already knew it started fine, because he drove it to the bloody garage. Rather than berrate her further, he decided to just end the conversation, only to have the chick say that she hopes this won't affect his future visits. Lol, the shop did nothing, charged him for it then gave him a false sense of reliability... of course he'll be back.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to go to meets why don't you organise one?

Although the amount of active members on here is pretty small and spread around Australia :/

I was going to organize a meet but my car decided to not work and run out of rego...

The guys from south A are doing a meet, I think they're going go-karting doing some endurance race, sounds awesome, whats it take for someone to organize an event? someone just chuck something up, make a time and a place and see what happens. Worse case scenario, only you show up and you get sad and boost sook all the way home home lol.

The guys from south A are doing a meet, I think they're going go-karting doing some endurance race, sounds awesome, whats it take for someone to organize an event? someone just chuck something up, make a time and a place and see what happens. Worse case scenario, only you show up and you get sad and boost sook all the way home home lol.

Worst case scenario is everyone shows up and makes hicas jokes all day - you should tell your mate that Silvias are equipped with VCT - variable camber timing

Edited by steveP
Not Silvia's.
  • Upvote 3

Perhaps not a shit talker, but definitely a tool.

My father recently had his Aurion serviced, and among the huge list of checks for a rather pricey service, was a battery health check. Battery was given the all-clear, and less that one week later it died in the arse, forcing him to get a new one and fit it, in the process finding that the terminal posts were so heavily covered with corrosion that it was suprising that it had ever worked at all. He wasn't impressed, so he did some research on the tests that should have run, and called the garage back.

Old man spoke to the receptionist, discussed the problem and asked what they actually did, and the chick said she would ask the mechanic. First response was that "he said it looked ok", and after being told that "looking" at a battery is not a test, the next reply was "he said that it started fine". Old man told her that he already knew it started fine, because he drove it to the bloody garage. Rather than berrate her further, he decided to just end the conversation, only to have the chick say that she hopes this won't affect his future visits. Lol, the shop did nothing, charged him for it then gave him a false sense of reliability... of course he'll be back.

Can you PM me the name of the mechanic pls?

I don't mind, providing I actually remember to ask my father which workshop it was the next time I see him.

Edited by pmod

I have done work experience at Toyota service centre and for some reason I started working with 1st and 2nd years (made it more fun) and they didnt do half of the things on the job card.

I even asked them why (by the end we were pretty close, even got them on facebook lol) they just told me its too much effort.

For example if the car needs a intermediate service they wouldnt bother with a brake bleed, adjusting the handbrake, cleaning the aircon filter etc.

These guys are getting $6-$8 an hour so its understandable they dont care.

That being said I also worked at a independent/private shop and they were VERY thorough with their work. Also worked at Holden dealer but I worked with a fully qualified mechanic so of course he wouldnt cut corners infront of a work experience kid.

Still changed my opinion on dealers, dont trust them.

Edited by s13k's

Worst case scenario is everyone shows up and makes hicas jokes all day - you should tell your mate that Silvias are equipped with VCT - variable camber timing

haha! I still haven't worked out what VCT is exactly yet anyway, care to explain?

I thought it was Variable Cam Timing?

I bet I'm going to get this wrong and be the new you but .

Seen it referred to as VTC or VCT, variable torque cams, variable cam timing

It changes the timing/ torque of the cam shafts when revving higher in order to have more efficient power... I.e lower power on low revs in order to have a bigger power reserve in high revs?

haha! I still haven't worked out what VCT is exactly yet anyway, care to explain?

I thought it was Variable Cam Timing?

This isnt going to end well..

I thought it was Variable CamBER Timing?

• Upvote 1

It changes the timing/ torque of the cam shafts when revving higher in order to have more efficient power... I.e lower power on low revs in order to have a bigger power reserve in high revs?

haha no one could out shit-talk me these days.

is it an obvious thing if your car has it? how do you find out? 1998 180sx type x

I have done work experience at Toyota service centre and for some reason I started working with 1st and 2nd years (made it more fun) and they didnt do half of the things on the job card.

I even asked them why (by the end we were pretty close, even got them on facebook lol) they just told me its too much effort.

For example if the car needs a intermediate service they wouldnt bother with a brake bleed, adjusting the handbrake, cleaning the aircon filter etc.

These guys are getting $6-$8 an hour so its understandable they dont care.

That being said I also worked at a independent/private shop and they were VERY thorough with their work. Also worked at Holden dealer but I worked with a fully qualified mechanic so of course he wouldnt cut corners infront of a work experience kid.

Still changed my opinion on dealers, dont trust them.

If the dealership pays peanuts, they'll get monkeys.

haha no one could out shit-talk me these days.

is it an obvious thing if your car has it? how do you find out? 1998 180sx type x

It'll sound like the timing chain is trying to tear it's way through the front of the rocker cover.

Can't tell if troll or not

Should I feel embarrassed for falling into his trap...