Sign in to follow this  
jonesl

Kinugawa turbo's (kando) comparison.

can you just swap actuators over like that?? say the t28 one that is here would it be able to go onto the kinugawa so it only ran 7psi or are they different sizes? i guess i'll find out when mine comes this week smile.png

Well I had a spare one of my XR6 turbo, and it looks exacly the same, Bolts up fine. question is how will it hold boost. lol

i let Eiji know i am having boost control problems, he said jack s#$t, other than to check the boost gauge, adjust preload, everything seemed perfect with the previous setup i had,

i will ask him to replace the actuator if the car behaves different with the S14 actuator im fitting on Saturday, so ill let you know if it works out, right now turbo runs unlimited boost...not so funny...

Edited by -RPS13-

i let Eiji know i am having boost control problems, he said jack s#$t, other than to check the boost gauge, adjust preload, everything seemed perfect with the previous setup i had,

i will ask him to replace the actuator if the car behaves different with the S14 actuator im fitting on Saturday, so ill let you know if it works out, right now turbo runs unlimited boost...not so funny...

yeah dude, def's let us know how you go fitting the s14 actuator.. im real interested to see if it lines up!!

no word on my turbs yet, i paid for it last week and the little postage box still isnt ticked or whatever on ebay.. HURRY UP!!!

Got my car tuned today.

Engine setup

-s14 vct sr20 stock internals

-greddy easy cams

-kando td05 18g

-sard 550cc

-z32

-Nistune

Ended up making 237kw on 17psi. Car feels awesome to drive now. No real problems with turbo. Boost drops off to around 15-16psi but tuner said an ebc will most likely fix it.

lesson here is buy the external wastegate version straight up, wish i did, im not even sure my wastgate actuator is opening...turbo definately has potential though...

Yep external is really the way to go for awesome boost control. Check the actuator with a compressor. One of the first actuators I got didn't open till about 25psi! I sent kando a message and they supplied another free of charge.

As a side note I've never had a problem dealing with kando and the turbos usually only take 5 business days to arrive, even over a weekend!

Edited by ae86racer

lesson here is buy the external wastegate version straight up, wish i did, im not even sure my wastgate actuator is opening...turbo definately has potential though...

Yep external is really the way to go for awesome boost control. Check the actuator with a compressor. One of the first actuators I got didn't open till about 25psi! I sent kando a message and they supplied another free of charge.

As a side note I've never had a problem dealing with kando and the turbos usually only take 5 business days to arrive, even over a weekend!

When I got mine they accidentally sent it to Austria instead haha. They sent another one via express and it was here in a couple of days.

I'm thinking about porting my wastegate because I need to take the turbo off anyway. Anyone done it with success or is it a waste of time?

Yeah as I have mentioned on the last couple of pages. I have done it, with a 1 bar actuator my setup was creeping to 18psi.

Edited by ae86racer

Yeah I saw your post. I'm planning on running upwards of 20 pounds.

Was it east to grind off the material in a neat circle or did it come off in an uneven shape?

From looking at the chart on the first page im contemplating the Kinugawa TD05H w/ Garrett 60-1 as it seems to run in the same compressor kw range as the TD06 20G, has any one looked into this one or used one, would it be more responsive? any help appreciated

Jarryd, depends how you use the die grinder. I ported mine lope sided because of the position of the original hole in relation the flapper. I made the hole as large as possible, leaving about a 1.5-2mm seat for the flapper to sit on. It was difficult to get in the top where the flap hinges but I figured the gases weren't going to flow well around that area anyhow because of the way the flapper shrouds the port.

RTSTIK the Garret 60-1 wheel is larger than the 20G compressor wheel! I think that setup would prove to be a bit mismatched and the turbine housing would choke out before you are taking full advantage of the larger compressor wheel. I'm not really knowledgeable on the Compressor wheel geometry, so am unsure how it would perform. I generally aim for something balanced.

^ thanks man I removed mine so I'm going to port it right now.

I just found this video on youtube. I'm pretty sure its the same problem.

Ok so I got the die grinder out and I decided to give it a shot and port out the waste gate.

To my surprise the stock hole wasn't that small, well it wasn't as small as the one in the video I posted up earlier. However there was still plenty of meat left to grind off. As ae86racer said, the hole is not central so I had to grid the right side and the bottom a little more to make it even. I ended up getting about a 2mm edge around the whole flap to be on the safe side. Now its time to re assemble and see if it makes any difference.

Oh and I know everyone likes photos so here they are. Just for your info. its a TD06SL2-20G with S15 style front housing and T2 internal gate rear. Made 240kw on 16ish PSI but couldn't hold boost steady. So lets see if a larger port will help or if Ive just ruined a perfectly usable rear housing :sick:

Just remove the V band and it just falls apart :)

20120125_105944.jpg

Stock hole

20120125_110110.jpg

20120125_112040.jpg

Untouched inlet

20120125_112106.jpg

Banging by die grinder

20120125_120945.jpg

Inlet after smoothing out the cast.

20120125_120956.jpg

holy awesome photos dude.. my td05-20g just arrived in the mail!!! :D super stoked, am gonna pull it apart and have a look at the wastegate hole now, will let you guys know how i go.. ;)

I'm thinking about porting my wastegate because I need to take the turbo off anyway. Anyone done it with success or is it a waste of time?

i just finished a job for a member on here

basically welded the internal gate shut and then basically just modified the exhaust housing to take a TiAL MVS external gate

lucky he done the job because when i took the exhaust housing of the turbo i found a small little crack in the housing

its only a small crack but could become a problem if the crack gets bigger

IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1272.JPG

when u bolt the turbo on every thing still looks pretty standard because u dont have an external gate point in your face coming of the manifold

That's what i want to do with mine. except they only sell the 10cm housing in T3. So i may as well just get a T3 steam pipe manifold. however i would still like to hide the gate in that fashion. Just because it needs to be like that to drive it here in Vic.

Is there any issues running the gate straight off the housing Kemp?

It is essentially exactly the same as having the gate anywhere else in the manifold...

Is there any issues running the gate straight off the housing Kemp?

U can have issues running the gate straight of the exhaust housing if you place the gate in the wrong location on the exhaust housing

Spot on Jarryd, exactly what I did. As I said before I was holding a steady 18psi with a 1 bar actuator (15psi) so it still crept a little bit but was manageable. Previous to that I was running somewhere over 20 <_>

Here is my setup now. Tial MVR 44mm. Still waiting on a few pieces to finalise assembly before I can put it back in the car and run it in!

419964_10150484807527100_675317099_8999909_89030744_n.jpg

should'v e made it on more of an angle instead of 90degree kemp, better flow.

is the last pic of the wastegate fitted a different housing?

Edited by whyte

should'v e made it on more of an angle instead of 90degree kemp, better flow.

is the last pic of the wastegate fitted a different housing?

the last picture is the one i done for some one else

yeah if i made it more on a straighter angle it would of been better for flow but it would make it harder to get my tig welder into the tighter gap and i wanted to make sure i had a high quality weld because i was welding cast iron

hey guys if anyone wants a td06sl2-20g thats modified for external gate pm me im the one that had kemp do it. Changed my mind so its up for sale the turbo has about 3000kms and has made 240kws on pump on 19psi and 260kws on efelx/e85. The wastegate is a tial 38mm mvs in black and has been on the car for a week if that looking for $750 but am negoatiable the gate+modify the rear housing+ screamer is over $500 there and fits perfect on my s15 so should fit other silvias. It is still fitted to the car waiting for my new turbo to arrive so you can come for a test drive if wanted. Am open to seperating the rear housing with the gate and screamer but will be $500 loosing money and has 100kms on it. Good for the guys that want to run big bost but keep the standard manifold

Deposit taken today for my turbo. Thinking bout getting a td05h-18g but my mate has thrown a spanner in the works he spoke a guy from gt pumps yesterday and he said he can put a billet compressor wheel in the kando ones for $400 fitted and balanced or $500 if its used because of new bearings used. Apparently a td05-18g with this wheel made 250kws on 20psi pretty sure it was the one unigroup was tryin to market. Apparently will spool quicker and make more power and also be safer on higher boost.

From what I seen with these turbos they already handle boost and love boost fine even in standard form

I wanna see one running on e85 because e85 allows for more timing and boost just so I can see what one of these bad boys can do

2000cc injectors big fuel pump and just let the bad boy let lose

I'm trying my td05 on e85 not crazy boost but 22psi only got 740cc injectors hopefully be done in a week or two

Will keep you posted on the dyno results

I'm trying my td05 on e85 not crazy boost but 22psi only got 740cc injectors hopefully be done in a week or two

Will keep you posted on the dyno results

I wanna see bigger injectors !!! And as much boost as it can take !!!

Haha kemp not everyone is crazy like you, like i said i might do it in a couple of months or ill take your fuel set up when you want more power :-)

Haha kemp not everyone is crazy like you, like i said i might do it in a couple of months or ill take your fuel set up when you want more power :-)

we just fitted 1200cc side feed injectors into this S15

why not do the some thing like that? 1200cc side feed injectors, twin pump kit

1200cc injectors is more then enough for you sized turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7J97c_1zU&feature=youtu.be

another one of our customers cars using 1200cc side feed injectors

Yeah will prob get those 1200's but use the new bigger walbro as i dont need that much fuel im only going a td05 what turbo, boost,internals etc on that s15 nice power put your vid up it shook the office windows haha

Yeah will prob get those 1200's but use the new bigger walbro as i dont need that much fuel im only going a td05 what turbo, boost,internals etc on that s15 nice power put your vid up it shook the office windows haha

yeah the 1200cc side feed injectors have been a big hit at the workshop

no need for the top feed rail kit since we got our hands on the 1200cc side feed injectors

its a shame u cant get 2000cc injectors in side feed :lol:

making power on E85 should not be compared to making power on 98 octane

E85 is a lot more safer which means u can go for more power AND SAFER