Sign in to follow this  
jonesl

Kinugawa turbo's (kando) comparison.

3' front cover TD06SL20G, car should be running with new Haltech tomorrow, may be able to get it on the dyno this weekend...

originally got a 14psi actuator, now fitted a 12psi, hopefully it all goes smoothly...

after hearing about all these boost control issues i would personally just buy it in an external gate option and get a custom manifold made to suit external gate

doing this wont make it a cheap bolt on turbo any more tho

after hearing about all these boost control issues i would personally just buy it in an external gate option

note to others thinking about purchasing...

Edited by -RPS13-

At least it's only a boost control issue and not a bearing issue

yeah no doubt, that is what kando has on their side, no one (on here anyway)has had any major issues with them...

did a google search, can't find bad word about them, on all sorts of sites from local and overseas evo/wrx sites, VL Commodore, previous ns.com posts, sau etc...all reports are positive...

Edited by -RPS13-

That's why I keep saying external! I went from problems being able to get steady boost around the 18psi mark to being able to run from 10psi to anything I set in the ecu. Have total control over the boost curve once above 3500rpm (TD06SL2 on 2L SR).

I should have my setup dyno'd first week of March, will be interesting to see the difference between the new and old engines.

Hmmm having second thoughts on changing to external gate and T67. Not that it isn't a good turbo, but if I'm going to spend some more cash on the set up I may as go something thats proven to make a bucket load of power. So I might look into a precision turbo and a powertune manifold soon.

Hmmm having second thoughts on changing to external gate and T67. Not that it isn't a good turbo, but if I'm going to spend some more cash on the set up I may as go something thats proven to make a bucket load of power. So I might look into a precision turbo and a powertune manifold soon.

Jarryd how did your porting go? end up putting it back on?

proven to make a bucket load of power. So I might look into a precision turbo and a powertune manifold soon.

I like the way u think

Hi guys, had a read through this whole thread over the last day or two, good read! Interesed in trying one of these Kinugawa turbo's, particularly the td06sl2 20g with 3" intake and an 8cm housing, external gate.

Im just in two minds, between this turbo and a .64 2871r. Noticed a few people in this thread have removed their 2871s in favour of the td06 copys.

Im kinda worried about the lag, but really want a topmount external gate setup over a commonly done lowmount internal 2871.

My motor is a redtop sr20, bone stock but i have PFC z32, avcr etc to fit. Probably a metal headgasket and uprated studs, but im not opening the rest of the motor up. Probably poncams aswell.

Also these td06's dont seem worth using unless you push 20psi through them? i want to keep the car as reliable as possible as its half street car half track drift car.

So yeah, just concerned about the lag, seeing as they wont spool as quick as the ball bearing trust turbos either. How would the lag compare to a 2871r, killer?

Sorry to be long winded i just cant decide lol.

Cheers

Hi guys, had a read through this whole thread over the last day or two, good read! Interesed in trying one of these Kinugawa turbo's, particularly the td06sl2 20g with 3" intake and an 8cm housing, external gate.

Im just in two minds, between this turbo and a .64 2871r. Noticed a few people in this thread have removed their 2871s in favour of the td06 copys.

Im kinda worried about the lag, but really want a topmount external gate setup over a commonly done lowmount internal 2871.

My motor is a redtop sr20, bone stock but i have PFC z32, avcr etc to fit. Probably a metal headgasket and uprated studs, but im not opening the rest of the motor up. Probably poncams aswell.

Also these td06's dont seem worth using unless you push 20psi through them? i want to keep the car as reliable as possible as its half street car half track drift car.

So yeah, just concerned about the lag, seeing as they wont spool as quick as the ball bearing trust turbos either. How would the lag compare to a 2871r, killer?

Sorry to be long winded i just cant decide lol.

Cheers

If u are willing to go high mount your better of with a Garret gt3071 in t3 .63 external Gate rear housing

Make sure u go the t3 version

Very responsive turbo

Thats the exact turbo I'm running on my new setup should have results to report back in a few weeks.

Previously I had a TD06SL2 with the Nissan T25 rear housing. With the flap bolted shut and an external gate setup, I was seeing full boost of 20psi before 4000rpm, closer to 3500rpm. This was on a built engine but with standard cams.

There are a number of people running these turbos at less than 20psi, but I wouldn't say it is most efficient there. With my external gate setup and just the wastegate spring I could hold 10psi no problems.

Thats the exact turbo I'm running on my new setup should have results to report back in a few weeks.

Previously I had a TD06SL2 with the Nissan T25 rear housing. With the flap bolted shut and an external gate setup, I was seeing full boost of 20psi before 4000rpm, closer to 3500rpm. This was on a built engine but with standard cams.

There are a number of people running these turbos at less than 20psi, but I wouldn't say it is most efficient there. With my external gate setup and just the wastegate spring I could hold 10psi no problems.

sr20?

ca18?

td06sl2 20g?

would love to hear more about these turbos with people running the ca18det engine....

sr20? ca18? td06sl2 20g? would love to hear more about these turbos with people running the ca18det engine....

SR20

TD06SL2 20G, 8cm

sr20?

ca18?

td06sl2 20g?

would love to hear more about these turbos with people running the ca18det engine....

Just bolted on one lastnight, it came in a can(just got a replacment center CHRA)

404866_10150568049552539_738212538_8756540_1349082594_n.jpg

Cars all running with the new turbo on. just need to finish an intake pipe for it. then its off to be tuned. will update this thread with results/dyno sheet

Heres the specs of my engine, going to be tuned on e85 then upgrade what we need to later on.

CA18DET

ACL 40thou Forged Pistons

ACL Piston Rings

ACL Bearings

ACL 1.3mm Metal Head Gasket

ART Forged Rods

ARP Head Studs

ARP Rod Bolts

ARP Flywheel Bolts

ARP Main Studs

Sard Fuel Pressure Regulator

Tomei Adjustable Cam Gears

Tomei Intake 260x10.25mm Cam

Tomei Exhaust 260x10.25mm Cam

Tomei Heavy Duty Valve Springs

Tomei Solid Lifters

JUN Titanium Valve Retainers

JUN Race Valve Guides

SARD 800cc Injectors

Custom Valves Australia 1mm Oversized Stainless Exhaust Valves

Port and Polished Head

Subzero Custom Intake Plenum

68mm Bosch Throttle Body

TD06SL2-20G Kinugawa Turbo

Trust Manifold

Trust 48mm Wastegate

Greddy 1.3bar Radiator Cap

PWR R32 GTR Radiator

Custom Overflow

Custom Primal dump pipe

Custom Primal Catch Can

Custom Primal Exhaust

Aluminium Cooler Kit

Custom Intake Pipe

Engine mount brackets (sits engine back 25mm)

Bosch External Coil Packs

Hurricane 8mm Leads

Microtech LT10s with ignitor

Bosch 040 fuel pump Internal

Bosch 044 fuel pump external

2.5ltr Surge Tank

3/4" Ryco E85 Lines

Proflow 400 Stealth -6 fittings

Nismo Oil Cap

Direct Racing Services Billet Clutch Twin Plate

Primal Garage CA > RB25 Gearbox Adaptor Plate

RB25DET Series 2 Gearbox

Tube and Fin Intercooler

Growley Oil Re locator kit off Block

Growley Cam Backing Plate

Growley CAS Bracket

Previously with a TD06H-20g the car made 282kw@16psi on Pump 98.

423389_10150582793817928_621942927_8911458_217166967_n.jpg

f**k yeah! thats awesome!

think it would be ok with stock cams to run one on a ca18det?

motor has been fully built just running stock cams thats all.....

thoughts?

Thats the exact turbo I'm running on my new setup should have results to report back in a few weeks. Previously I had a TD06SL2 with the Nissan T25 rear housing. With the flap bolted shut and an external gate setup, I was seeing full boost of 20psi before 4000rpm, closer to 3500rpm. This was on a built engine but with standard cams. There are a number of people running these turbos at less than 20psi, but I wouldn't say it is most efficient there. With my external gate setup and just the wastegate spring I could hold 10psi no problems.
sr20? ca18? td06sl2 20g? would love to hear more about these turbos with people running the ca18det engine....
Just bolted on one lastnight, it came in a can(just got a replacment center CHRA) [im Cars all running with the new turbo on. just need to finish an intake pipe for it. then its off to be tuned. will update this thread with results/dyno sheet Heres the specs of my engine, going to be tuned on e85 then upgrade what we need to later on. CA18DET ACL 40thou Forged Pistons ACL Piston Rings ACL Bearings ACL 1.3mm Metal Head Gasket ART Forged Rods ARP Head Studs ARP Rod Bolts ARP Flywheel Bolts ARP Main Studs Sard Fuel Pressure Regulator Tomei Adjustable Cam Gears Tomei Intake 260x10.25mm Cam Tomei Exhaust 260x10.25mm Cam Tomei Heavy Duty Valve Springs Tomei Solid Lifters JUN Titanium Valve Retainers JUN Race Valve Guides SARD 800cc Injectors Custom Valves Australia 1mm Oversized Stainless Exhaust Valves Port and Polished Head Subzero Custom Intake Plenum 68mm Bosch Throttle Body TD06SL2-20G Kinugawa Turbo Trust Manifold Trust 48mm Wastegate Greddy 1.3bar Radiator Cap PWR R32 GTR Radiator Custom Overflow Custom Primal dump pipe Custom Primal Catch Can Custom Primal Exhaust Aluminium Cooler Kit Custom Intake Pipe Engine mount brackets (sits engine back 25mm) Bosch External Coil Packs Hurricane 8mm Leads Microtech LT10s with ignitor Bosch 040 fuel pump Internal Bosch 044 fuel pump external 2.5ltr Surge Tank 3/4" Ryco E85 Lines Proflow 400 Stealth -6 fittings Nismo Oil Cap Direct Racing Services Billet Clutch Twin Plate Primal Garage CA > RB25 Gearbox Adaptor Plate RB25DET Series 2 Gearbox Tube and Fin Intercooler Growley Oil Re locator kit off Block Growley Cam Backing Plate Growley CAS Bracket Previously with a TD06H-20g the car made 282kw@16psi on Pump 98. [i[/img]

I'm really curious about the turbo in a can thing? Got more pics?

Edited by Vodkashot

^ Its just the CHRA mang. Neil blew his trust one on the dyno. Its in his build thread.

I didn't know you could put a L2 turbine wheel into a H rear housing.

I remember back in about 2005-2006 when I had just got my S13, it was CA then. I always wanted to get a TD06 just because Neil had one on his 180. Back then anything over 200kw was ridiculous power.

^ Its just the CHRA mang. Neil blew his trust one on the dyno. Its in his build thread.

I didn't know you could put a L2 turbine wheel into a H rear housing.

I remember back in about 2005-2006 when I had just got my S13, it was CA then. I always wanted to get a TD06 just because Neil had one on his 180. Back then anything over 200kw was ridiculous power.

Oh!

Still cool how it comes in a can!

It wasnt really a can but a carboard tube with metal end caps lol. very nicely packed. And yeh the turbo centers are identical other than the L2 has 11 blades on the rear wheel where the H has 12(apparently this helps with responce/power). same shape blades, same front and rear housing and it all bolted together just fine.

In the past i had my TD06h-20g and a mates TD06l2-20g sitting side by side and they had identical serial numbers just different blade numbers on the rear.

Wow went through all 21 pages of this thread and started off very excited, but now not so much!

I was thinking a TD06h-18g (less lag than thr 20g yeah), and I have a stock bottom end, with Poncams, 550cc injectors, Z32 etc etc.

I wanted to replace my T28, and not run an external gate.

So no it seems the internal gate isn't very good, but the turbo just needs a bit of porting with a dremel? And what if I change the actuator to a HKS one, would that help?

I'm after a responsive setup, car gets driven semi daily, and tracked, dont want a power curve like a drag car!

Cheers

Saad

I just got my car retuned

Sr20det non VCt

Poncams

Tdo5h18g

740cc injectors

Eflex

Made 260 rwkw on 23psi but injectors are maxxed so turned it down to 20psi still made 253rwkw full boost by 4000rpm not bad for a $700 turbo kit

Sr20det non VCt

Poncams

Tdo5h18g

740cc injectors

Eflex

Made 260 rwkw on 23psi but injectors are maxxed so turned it down to 20psi still made 253rwkw full boost by 4000rpm not bad for a $700 turbo kit

Any plans on going bigger injectors?

3psi can get fwwaarrkkedd if it's only nettin you an extra 7 anyway, just more heat and stress on the turbo and the engine :thumbsup:

Cam gears btw.??

Sr20det non VCt

Poncams

Tdo5h18g

740cc injectors

Eflex

How much are the power tune 1200cc side feeds ? I like to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possible and do they idle good and wide spray pattern?

No adjustable gears

Any plans on going bigger injectors?

Sr20det non VCt

Poncams

Tdo5h18g

740cc injectors

Eflex

That's the setup I'm going for, minus E85. Motors gonna get rebuild, and tossing up whether to get the head ported or not (Low-down is something I dont want to give too much up). But yeah, I'm glad someone is trialing this shit whilst I've only paid for part of it so far Haha.

3psi can get fwwaarrkkedd if it's only nettin you an extra 7 anyway, just more heat and stress on the turbo and the engine :thumbsup:

Cam gears btw.??

Yeah the extra 3psi didn't gain much extra cause it was leaning out high 13:1 afr which isn't ideal

Stock cam gears

Sr20det non VCt

Poncams

Tdo5h18g

740cc injectors

Eflex

That's the setup I'm going for, minus E85. Motors gonna get rebuild, and tossing up whether to get the head ported or not (Low-down is something I dont want to give too much up). But yeah, I'm glad someone is trialing this shit whilst I've only paid for part of it so far Haha.

I've tried it on pump made 231rwkw at 19psi it was only held back cause of the injectors then

do u think 250+ could be made with just a nistune ecu and a fully built motor?

only asking coz mine is just being a peace of crap and not making any power

Edited by exa_705