Sign in to follow this  
jonesl

Kinugawa turbo's (kando) comparison.

Welcome to aftermarket parts and modifying cars, get use to it.

I also found the lines useless aswell, but because I bought non SR20 specific...think I also massaged the hang on my engine mount too, I've got the 3' front cover...

Looking to get turbo kit for my S15 and from what I've read on this thread, the Kinugawa's seem like good value.

Which one of Kinugawa's turbo kits should I go for? The TD05H-18G? Also, are they straight bolt on kits?

My goal is to make around 235rwkw with response being important.

Read this thread, there is so much information on these turbos in here. The reason it's 60+ pages is

Because people keep posting the same crap.

Read this thread, there is so much information on these turbos in here. The reason it's 60+ pages is

Because people keep posting ASKING the same crap.

Because people keep posting the same crap.

make a faq and get a mod to make it a sticky.

solved.

To the guy's running Earls lines anyone running a restrictor in the feed for a TD05?

Some say no restrictor needed for journal bearing and some say you need one? I'm trying to track down why my SR is smoking

No restrictor for bush bearing turbros

Garrett for example/ball bearing only.

ordered my TD06sl2, poncams and bc springs yesturday :D

will post up a dyno figure once done

ok well i've decided on the TD06 20G Non anti surge 3" 8cm ass T2.. but i cant seem to locate an ext gate version only internal? does it only come in T3 ext gate?

i wish to use the std manni is all...

Havent really got a power figure in mind but i like the feedback in this thread comparing the issues this seems to be the pick of the few...

Pick of the lot is the full trust spec. Ie 8cm 3 bolt L2. You can just weld the gate shut on the t2. That's the last one I would be going for but to keep std manifold you don't really have other choices.

Ok cool well that doesnt sound too bad an idea.. from the looks of what kemp has done to a few std manifolds it's probably the best option to go with as i already have all the dump/front exhaust for my T28bb (motor isn't finished) not installed. will be going with a cosworth HG arp studs and BC 264 cams and springs... yet to decide on nistune or pfc or something simular... any opinions?

Edited by rezzy_S13

yeah, to many beers. same shit, get a ecu.

A nistune ECU = under $1000

a haltech ECU = over $2000

use google, this forum to deside what you want/need

Edited by INMATE

lol i see now.. haltech is more than the kando... probably

Edited by rezzy_S13

Nistune is fine for 95% of setups. No doubt at all haltech is a better ecu but that doesn't mean you "need" to have it.

yeah i know that the Haltech has alot more features and what not and is better but... i hear a lot of people using nistunes and pfc's so i just wanted opionions really.

See what pops up and is easiest to buy without the missus finding out what it cost lol

there are plenty of ECU threads to research.. as for the haltech v's nistune there are many things in the nissan ecu that are a nuisance, and also it can be limited depending on function and application... however there has been some talk around anti lag, and thermo fan control and boost control.. but search if your interested so it doesnt block up a good turbo thread..

Found this on SAU. It is a direct comparison of a latest Hypergear ATR28G2 V Kando TD05 8cm on pump 98 stock cams. Surprisingly HG pulled more numbers with even better response. Apparently the TD05 kit was sold and HG's turbo was only bought for "factory looking" replacement.

ATR28G2 made 251.9rwkws, TD05 made 243.5rwkws, both on 25psi.

cnf7.jpg

Source: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/261613-hypergear-hiflow-service-continued/page-416

That's my car was on eflex and will see what it can do at the strip soon

Also it ain't hypergear latest atr28g2 but I did get him to put on a new rear housing with his fnt mod and it worked well but chokes it abit up top after 6k good for the street

Drives a lot more responsive than the td05

It feels like it comes on boost a lot easier and smoother progressively but the td05 felt like it hit harder all at once but had nothing under 4krpm

Well see if it still pulls 122mph trap speeds

I think new complete turbo will be $1000 give or take $100

This one was just a test I bought it for $300 2nd hand and the rear housing was cracked so I sent it to hypergear to get fixed and fnt mod for $350

Plus mine is a high flow in t28 housing so looks std so cost me $650 all up

The new ones he makes now will perform even better yet due to him using billet wheels now and all his testing

It will be a few hundred more than a kando but if it performs better its worth it plus his business is in Australia for customer support

I'm getting my td05-18g re-tuned by a better tuner next week so will update here, not really hoping for more power just a better tune as its pretty rough at the moment.

Made 300hp@ the rears on 18psi (312hp previously, different tuner) difference in dynos maybe?

It feels way better than before especially in the midrange.

I'm a little disappointed with the numbers was hoping for around 320hp but still happy with how she drives.

Do the TD05-18g turbos on the Kinugawa site come with the required gaskets and braided lines?

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/turbochargersr20detsilvias14s15td05h-18gturbo.aspx

Yes they do, although some guys are having problems fitting up the lines that come either the kit. Mine fit ok but I re-used my midnight mods lines instead.

Also I had problems bolting up the turbo snout due to the new style adjustable actuators that they bought out. I had to modify a s13 t25 snout and make up a custom intake (which I was going to do anyways withe the intake)

If I was to do it all again I would use one of hyper gears new turbos or a precision unit.

Good luck:)

If I was to do it all again I would use one of hyper gears new turbos or a precision unit.

Good luck:)

Why HyperGear? Precision is in a completely different price bracket and for now I'm willing to give a cheaper turbo a shot, especially after reading many good reviews here.