Sign in to follow this  
AC-S13

Removing Intake manifold + exhaust manifold

Hi guys,

My motor is hanging on by 2 bolts and is coming out for a rebuild this afternoon.

I am going to remove the Exhaust manifold + turbo and the Intake manifold and just giving the head and block to the builder.

What the best method to clean the manifold? Just use throttle body cleaner?

Is it difficult to remove, or just a few bolts?

I am going to replace all turbo gaskets aswell since the manifold will be off the car.

With the manifold > turbo gasket and other bolts, you dont have to tourque them do you?

Just do them up tight?

It has been a learning process for me and still is - any tips would be well recieved! :rolleyes:

Cheers

-Best method is always going to be acid dipping.... but throttle body cleaner will be fine!

-Can be annoying to remove if its in car, out of car its pretty easy.

-If a gasket is undone its always best to replace it.

-You have to torque everything regardless whether its by hand or torque wrench. I would recommend torque wrench though if its around the exhaust manifold or you may end up with leaks and have to take it back. :thumbsup:

Definitely use a torque wrench on everything - if you make it too loose, it may vibrate undone or gasket may leak, too tight and you may snap stuff.

Throttle body cleaner works well, a slightly cheaper version is to use "Wax and Grease Remover" - yes, the stuff used by painters.

Try not to use degreaser for any alluminium parts k , If you do , don't soak it and give it a good wash with water after .

Get Parts Washer solution, it will work better and is stronger. Most of them don't stain aluminium as well.

No worries the motor came out just then so I need to get a turbo gasket kit. I noticed the locking tabs on the turbo to manifold gasket, also the engine mounts are busted so I'll get new mounts aswell. I'm not changing turbos etc I don't have funds. Maybe later down the track..

Hopefully the ol CA will last after this work is done.

Not sure if it's bad but with my old swift I used fuel and a rag to clean the intake out :0 never hurt it :P good wash after :P

Not sure if it's bad but with my old swift I used fuel and a rag to clean the intake out :0 never hurt it :P good wash after :P

Yeah I do that or carby cleaner.

Ill tell u the bolts on the manifold > turbo are a bitch...:stretcher: