Sign in to follow this  
xris

SR20DET + Tomei 256x11.5mm + Adjustable cam gears

Hi Guys.

Just dropped a set of Tomei Pon Cams (256x11.5mm in and ex) into my sr20. Also put some Adjustable cam gears on at the same time. Currently they are set to 0 degrees on both. Just wondering what the best results or starting points i should set them too before tuning it (just reduce the amount of times i need to remove the rocker cover etc to change while tuning)

Post what you used and power results :) im running a GT2871r with these

thanks

Neil

There is no 'best setting.' The Poncams are manufactured to what Tomei believes to be the best all round angle by default.

This however is assuming you have a completely stock engine. If you have pulled your engine apart some stage they will need to be adjusted. This is what cam gears are (mainly) used for. Get a degree wheel and look on the Tomei website; all the info you need is there.

just run standard cam gears.. you dont need to adjust them.. no matter which way you go you will not get a better balance then they do in the factory.. especially being poncams..

when you go lager duration like into the 260's and 270's it can be beneficial to play a little with the cams.. after all you only have 8 degrees more duration than stock

Your best just using a dyno to figure this out. Think your in my hood so I can recommend you a cheap place for a few dynoed runs. PM me.

But I would say a good setting 'can be' +6 intake and -2 exhaust, going off other peoples cars. Improvements can be had with these cams. You could pull back to +4in -1ex for safe measures if you don't want to have it set on a dyno.

No first hand experience but. So don't take my advice as concrete.

I know there is none. I said that.... I just gave him some figures if he didn't want to put it in the dyno. They where not random figures.

Lol ok cheers for that. Will leave them on Zero and get it on the dyno and Tune from there.

hey guys, lets say you have a built motor ported heads and cams with new cam gears and the motor hasn't even been turned over yet, what are the first steps to ensure that you have every thing set up correctly? eg: to wear in the motor and to not flood the motor with fuel due to having larger injectors.

Is there are map that can take into account the relevant mods and compression to start the car and not cause lasting damage to your brand new built motor?

if they arnt random figers then where did you get them from? off some one elses engine specs? cause as i said before every enigne is different they will never be the same, there is absolutly no point in starting at some random numbers to begin with if your only going to be guessing the adjustments, you may as well start on 0 as you then have 20deg each way to play with.

Yesh man off another engine. We have the same view, I just gave some direction based on what I've seen mostly happen in case he doesn't want to go zero zero. That's not to say, use exact recommendations.

Anyway...

finding someone to degree them properly isn't easy... most places don't want to do it, or just 'play' with them on the dyno... and finding the gear to do it yourself isn't easy either!

They are a mid range cam.. trying to dial them in to become something else is pointless.. still going to be a midrange cam just with either crappy bottom end or crappy top end performance by playing with them.. and waste alot of money in the process of finding out..

chris, I didn't mean 'dial/degree' to give it more top or bottom ... I just meant to dial them in to 'spec'... Just to ensure that valves are opening and closing exactly when they should be.

I still dont think that dialing them in +/- a couple of degrees will move mountains in terms of performance.. it may add a little but more than likely 10 fifths of bugger all.. and if if has moved due to timing chain stretch then do the chain.. if you have a thicker head gasket then compensate for it.. but if it is all relatively stock then leave it alone.. poncams and any of the 28 frame turbos are a good combo.. I would like to see the results if you experiment.. but at the power level of the 2871.. I dont think it will amount to much..