Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cranium

Best photo software

Just had a play with it, seems good for something to start with, will most definitely upgrade once i get used to editing photos in the free one though.

Definitely check it out if you are looking for free software.

id be surprised if you reached its limits to be honest.

there is no upgrade to the free version, its open source so the whole app is and always will be free. its not a demo version or anything

Well hypotheticly it could be downloaded for free but thats illegal and I wouldnt reccomend it...

funny. people dont mind downloading and using software free (stealing), but if someone used one of their photos on a facebook page or something... oooooh, watch out. hahaha.

You cant go wrong with Lightroom

Sure you can, if you shoot RAW on a Nikon.

Irretrievably messes up the colours and contrast as soon as a file loads. I hate it.

I've mentioned the issue to a few other photographers who have also had the same problem, one ended up just getting CS5 instead. Have tried changing around to different colour spaces and profiles, but still doesn't look right. Seems silly that I would have to play around so much to get the photos looking as they should, when even Irfanview gets it right.

I'd be very happy to be proven completely wrong about it though, and I hope I am, as there are so many other features in LR that are really good.

I actually having problem opening RAW in CS5, it keeps throwing me an error message saying the RAW version is not compatible (or similar to that)

but GIMP I think it's ok... FREE :D (I used that back in uni, it was not as friendly as CS5 but the new version might be different)

Me too.

One other weird problem I forgot to mention. I was using a trial version at the end of 2009 on another computer, and used LR to process a feature car shoot. I don't know why, but all of the highlights on the car came up with a weird cross-hatching pattern, to the extent that I had to process the entire shoot again with Capture NX.

Sign in to follow this