Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cranium

Evolution Vs. Creation

181 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you beleive in?

• Evolution
    • Creation

Threads like this are full of hypocrites. Religious people say athiests are stupid for believing a theory not fully proven, and athiests say religious people are stupid for believing in something not fully proven. Yet I'm sure both groups believe in horoscopes and superstition.

I voted for neither option as it's not so black and white. Unlike most people, I don't base my views on internet poll results or youtube propaganda videos. I'm a very logical and curious person, and it annoys me that there isn't a clear cut answer to this question, so I've been doing my own reading and research from both sides of the fence. The more I investigate, it becomes clear that we really don't have an answer or are close to answering it.

To say that evolution is proven is to say that we as a human race have discovered everything. There are a lot of answers that we are yet to unlock. And when that happens, we will look back to these 2011 discussions and laugh that such an obvious answer was even being debated.

Edited by steveP

Critical thinking and reason FTW!

/thread

kill him!

Creationism was developed as a way to explain life stories to simple people. It was created with the hope of explaining the big "where did we come from" and help all humans live a happier more meaningful life, no matter their situation (which was pretty rough back then for most people i am guessing).

Evolution has obviously been proven by CURRENT science however with new tech comes new questions and there is obviously a lot humans don't understand or know, ie. telepathy / spirits / greater beings / 6th sense etc.

End of the day in todays society we are fed far more bullshit on a daily basis that people believe which is far more damaging in my opinion than a jewish zombie and a talking snake.

Truth is most people that knock religion haven't even studied any aspects of it.

I'm not heavy on religion myself, but readings bits and pieces of the bible, dharma and koran - there is alot of intelligent stuff that make sense - and if you dont take it in a literal sense..

Sure creationism never really happened and it's just a bunch of stories but if people get enlightened by them then sweet.

Do we transcend to different beings in the afterlife? do we just turn into mush and thats it? is there something at the end of the light?

Science is only the world as we know it today.

My guess is that earth is just a really really advanced version of world of warcraft, and you are ACTUALLY being controlled by some advanced race of south koreans from space.

Summing up every response to my statement it is most defiantly a theory simply because someones book covers it doesnt make it true just like Pluto was a planet science is always changing and adjusting to fill in the gaps but other than that there are holes in both religion and evolution so no one "KNOWS" the truth and if you think your going to figure it out I encourage you to pull your lip over your head and swallow...

Can we get away from picking holes in darwins theory? The evolution i asked about isn't darwins theory. Just our evolution through time from simple organisms to complex ones, not just darwins theory.Posting from phone so this post makes no sense

Unfortunately you will never seperate the two. It's been mentally tattooed into peoples' minds just like women are multi-taskers, where both are incorrect.

It's ironic that the people who beat the Dawin Theory the loudest, at the ones who do the least research, if any at all. Dawin has been grossly over praised, as his original basic theory that animals mutate have been proven wrong for the most part of his explaination. Really all he did was spark a discussion and make a few mis-leading observations. Many people after him are the ones who refined his original theory and corrected what he got wrong.

Another issue people can't seperate is 'survival of the fittest' and DNA mutation. Survival of the fittest simply means that the strongest will survive, that's all. And that's common sense no one can argue with. The latter issue about DNA mutation is a seperate discussion that shouldn't be confused.

It has nothing to do with DNA mutation. Think of 2 dogs fighting over a piece of meat, the one who gets it is the strongest and most aggressive. Are you saying the dog who wins has mutated DNA?

The confusion is you're talking about something totally different to the concept of survival of the fittest, but you call it that.

can anyone explain the common sense of how there was nothing then the world started

what was there before, or can you make something out of nothing?

See here:

"One interesting source of anti-matter occurs in vacuum energy. While classical physics tends to believe that interstellar space is a true vacuum, with no matter present. Quantum mechanics allows for the possibility that "virtual" particle-antiparticle pairs can be created out of the vacuum. This particle-antiparticle pair can exist for a period of time limited by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Shortly after creation of this pair, they rejoin and annihilate each other."

http://aether.lbl.go...er_lecture.html

This leads me to think that the universe is an inevitable occurrence. As before the big bang, time didn't exist. Essentially, you have infinite time, so if you have a possibility of something, say there's a 1 in 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 possible chance that the big bang will occur, since time doesn't exist, it simply will occur. Creation of something from nothing can be explained by the above, currently, we know that particle-antiparticle pairs can be created out of nothing. This lends a lot of credibility to the idea of the big bang. If you have an infinite nothingness where time doesn't exist, if the probability that the big bang will occur is 1 in 1 x 10999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 years, well that simply doesn't matter, as time doesn't exist it simply happens. At least, that makes sense in my head.

Also, asking a question

Which do you beleive in? Evolution or creation

Makes about as much sense as asking the question: Which do you believe in? Light or santa claus?

alright shit, i didnt see bootlegs reply to that other post..

just to clarify though..

bootleg said

While classical physics tends to believe that interstellar space is a true vacuum, with no matter present. Quantum mechanics allows for the possibility that "virtual" particle-antiparticle pairs can be created out of the vacuum.

that word possibility there implies that there is no actual PROOF that something can occur from nothing, and once again i will point out, lack of PROOF is exactly what creationists get ridiculed about..

also, for the record.. i dont really know where i stand.. there might not be a god that wears a white coat and has a sweet beard, but who honestly knows how our universe was created.. maybe it is one big experiment being conducted by aliens like in that southpark episode, maybe not.. there is no definitive proof either way..

Okay, so it hasn't been observed and "proven" but it is well established and considered to be true. The maths says it's true, we just havn't observed it yet. There isn't lack of proof, the proof is the maths.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that supports the idea of creationism. It is deeply, deeply disturbing and disappointing that people could still believe in such crap.

Also, just a note, you can't "believe" in evolution. You either accept rational established science or you live in a deluded fantasy land.

Creation for sure. You're all ignorant if you don't believe in God.

Lol Jokes.

I've never had a theory on the beginning. Evolution seems to be the more legit explanation.

can anyone explain how i became so gay? that's the one question i have been trying to answer my whole life.

there's a good ol saying, "what came first? the chicken or the egg?"

Edited by Barbie princess

Critical thinking and reason FTW!

/thread

kill him!

Ha! Spoken like a crusader. Welcome back to the darkages everyone :P

can anyone explain how i became so gay? that's the one question i have been trying to answer my whole life.

God created gay people to give evangelists something to do in their spare time... Duh...

God created gay people to give evangelists something to do in their spare time... Duh...

well after 47 years of my life, i finally understand. thank you, you're a very kind hearted person. god bless you. Edited by Barbie princess

Religious nutjobs need a scapegoat to blame for all the evil in the world.

For many years gays also provided curchies with a spiritually 'legal' way to satisfy their urge to beat maim and kill people, without doing anything wrong.

Given gays are the creation of the devil, it is ok to bash and murder them in the eyes of god.

Don't turn it into one of those threads.

why did god create people who believe in evolution

why did evolution create people who believe i god?

Interesting reading all the comments.

The simple fact for the simple minded people in this thread (everyone, humans) is that there is not enough evidence.

I think we as humans can only understand a beginning and an end, and we can't understand something coming from nothing,

Christians have their faith and scientists have made some exciting discoveries.

So people can guess all they like but I'm not prepared to do that.

Religious nutjobs need a scapegoat to blame for all the evil in the world.

For many years gays also provided curchies with a spiritually 'legal' way to satisfy their urge to beat maim and kill people, without doing anything wrong.

Given gays are the creation of the devil, it is ok to bash and murder them in the eyes of god.

Stop.

I don't want this to turn into a religion bashing thread, keep these kinds of opinions out.

This is a thread about how we came about, and discussing the 2 most prominent schools of though.

Lol what did you think would happen. These are pretty much to diametrically opposed ideologies. One which is upheld by religious dogma. Of course its going to be a bashfest.

Okay, so it hasn't been observed and "proven" but it is well established and considered to be true. The maths says it's true, we just havn't observed it yet. There isn't lack of proof, the proof is the maths.

have you done maths before? ever heard of imaginary numbers? maths can be used to prove anything you want it to doesnt make it true. but you cant prove something if the maths isnt there either. its like having a car without a motor/driveline, from the outside its a car but on the inside theres nothing there and it cant move. get a motor that fits and works and bam you have a car. however if you just have the motor - the thing that makes it all work and move- then its still just a motor, not a car. they can exist indepentantly but until they come together they arent a car....the motor in this example is maths.

-dan

also to clear some things up:

theory

A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena. Most theories that are accepted by scientists have been repeatedly tested by experiments and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena

theorem

A statement whose truth can be proved on the basis of a given set of axioms or assumptions.

Edited by -LCD-

Considering that evolution is still a theory we cant really be sure thought when I look around at all the amazing things in the world I find it hard to believe whatever it may be that there is not some higher power watching over us. The real problem is that evolution has flaws at its core like how the big bang happened at that point all we can do is guess and thats not scientific proof of anything so kind of a draw on my end looking at it logically guess we will all find out sooner or later.

Evolution is as much a "theory" as the "theory" of gravity. You are mis-using the term.

And evolution also has nothing to do with the big bang, 2 totally different concepts.

As for reference to holes in the story, have you looked at your religion lately, it makes the "holes" in evolution look microscopic in comparison.

I totally buy in to diversification amongst a species, but not common ancestry.

Evolution doesn't disprove God though either, checkout Francis Collins, bible believing scientist fronted the human genome project, he sees no contradiction.

You guys comparing the bible and origin of species, is so out of context. The bible is not a scientific textbook of how it happened. more of a Who done it

evolution

creationism has too many holes in it.

i have a physics degree. i believe in scientific method. i know scientific method has its flaws but i firmly believe its the best system we have. better than blind faith which creationism relies on.

LOL. NO.. FKN.. WAY. :lol:

theory

A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena. Most theories that are accepted by scientists have been repeatedly tested by experiments and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena

That's when a theory becomes a hypothesis, unfortunately this word is also misused.

Creationism can not be backed up by current scientific understands, there are many discrepancies.

Evolution and biology go hand to hand and is more in par with science, but it can not answer all aspects of space origin.

I don't think a God exists. If there was a God why would he allow innocent people to be raped and killed in wars, or why would he allow children to be born with cancer and die at a young age, or why would he let a innocent person die in a car crash? I can't see how a 'good person' would let that kind of stuff happen. But, even though I think it's all fake, when it comes time for me to go I will probably start believing in him. It sounds stupid and makes no sense, but I need to look forward to something, or look forward to some amazing place where everyone i know will be waiting for me and ready to party, smoke crack, and make love to donkeys.

I don't think a God exists. If there was a God why would he allow innocent people to be raped and killed in wars, or why would he allow children to be born with cancer and die at a young age, or why would he let a innocent person die in a car crash? I can't see how a 'good person' would let that kind of stuff happen. But, even though I think it's all fake, when it comes time for me to go I will probably start believing in him. It sounds stupid and makes no sense, but I need to look forward to something, or look forward to some amazing place where everyone i know will be waiting for me and ready to party, smoke crack, and make love to donkeys.

Easy answer God is not a controller much like parents should let their children go rather than babysit them until they are 49 year old virgins? Hope this answers your question.

On another note its scientifically and mathematically been proven that god does exist. Let me tell you the story...

So God and his roommate Chuggs were arm wrestling then...

^^^ Is that God?

Not 100% sure. I think it might be an angel? :S

I don't understand why people care so much

because morons promote wars, primitive religious laws, murders, torture, hold back scientific and social progress all in the name of religion.