Sign in to follow this  
spudnic

Aviation

Is anyone actually in the flying game?

If you know this industry then you know that its "who you know" not "what you know"

im on my way to becoming a commercial pilot. halfway there now

its not a matter of either if u want to fly. its all about if u got the coin

Part of it - same as any industry is who you know. But the thing is backing yourself up with what you know. Depending how far you want to go the ATPL exams are going to be changing drastically over the next 5 years to stamp out any 'teaching the answer' technique and ensuring people are clearly taught knowledge as some flightschools are doing.

Haha there is alot of coin/ debt involved.

My best mate is on his last year of his commercial pilot uni course at parafield.. PM any questions to me if you want and I'll pass them on for you.

i worked for supermarine aircraft for 6.5 years but that was on the manufacturing side not flying

I've almost finished my CPL block.

Given the two options you listed, it would come down more to Who rather than What you know...Having said that though, if you are confident and dedicated enough to make a name for yourself than anything is possible...so long as your pockets are big enough to pay for it because the entire industry is ridiculously expensive to get into and the remuneration is far from fantastic initially.

Its all about the pocket! My pocket isnt very deep but its been through some hard times with aviation. Definitely rewarding career! but getting there is hard. ATPLs were a bitch but still alright in the end, if you know your shit you will be fine.