Sign in to follow this  
mik fader

TO TUB OR NOT TO TUB

Hey guys, when I had my silvia my crappy 7.5 inch front wheels with shit offset used to rub on the inside of the wheel arch. Now i am building a track only 180sx, I was wondering about tubbing the front end. What are the advantages/disadvantages what has to be moved and how did you go about fabricating the tubs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as its a pretty fullon step to take. mik

Pros more clearance.

Cons less engine bay room.

Depends on your wheels and how much lock you want.

Just look at some other tunned engine bays and then just plan out how your gonna do it.

I was thinking of doing it with trailer gaurds like a few others but am not sure exactly what you cut out and where you put your fusebox and ps resi. I want to do my research before i make a decision.

too much effort in tubbing. Im too lazy to pull the engine out and I suck at welding

im going to do this because i keep bashing my rims

photohmi.jpg

Edited by (Locky)

Well if you run your car low then it helps. I always use to scrub the crap out of my stock tubs. Mainly at the front. I only tubbed the new car cos I had the time and everything out of the bay.

I already have tune agent tie rods and steering spaces and i want to get heaps of lock so I wanted to do it while the engine bay is empty.

Well if you run your car low then it helps. I always use to scrub the crap out of my stock tubs. Mainly at the front. I only tubbed the new car cos I had the time and everything out of the bay.

that just means you have lots of caster..

I already have tune agent tie rods and steering spaces and i want to get heaps of lock so I wanted to do it while the engine bay is empty.

just run conservative wheels and a longer LCA.

You can buy the tubs for an S14 / 180. They are made by a bloke from SA named Kelway. I've seen the fitup on a build thread at another site and they fit great.

He has a thread in this same fabrication section.

Edited by adam

Yes blingy I did have a bit of castor lol. New at I think I'm gonna try less caster and more camber.

i dont run tubs either, 18x10s on the front. The only downside is my engine bay is filthy now.

Its ok for AASA/ raceline events and passes scrut but i dont think CAMS would approve.

If you went widebody and had your guards made from hand shaped metal then adding tubs to fill the guard and act as support then yer why not it's a good idea.

I think alot of ppl do it for the sake as they can afford/wanna clean up the engine bay/and because they can lol.

or just less caster at the caster rod and more at the camber top

How do you get more caster at the camber top? I have some scrubbing ATM I want to get rid of!

Edited by Rifleman

I want to run wide wheels with big offset in the future, is there a thread of the actual fabricating of tubs?

theres not much to it.

buy tubs.

cut out forward of strut tower.

cut tubs to fit.

weld in, reinforce/brace and paint

or just less caster at the caster rod and more at the camber top

How do you get more caster at the camber top? I have some scrubbing ATM I want to get rid of!

Turn the camber tops 45 degrees

You can buy the tubs for an S14 / 180. They are made by a bloke from SA named Kelway. I've seen the fitup on a build thread at another site and they fit great.

What is the name of his thread, I cant find any threads on tubbing

This what I did to mine, just cut the original arch moved 50mm forward and rewelded sheet in the hole, cheaper than full tubs and looks fairly stock

IMAG0089.jpg

They look really good never seen it done like that, did you have to move the battery and the fusebox?

Air Ride Suspension sell the tub guards for a reasonable price. www.airide.com.au

They are what I used.

web.jpg?ver=13215774330003

web.jpg?ver=13215774510003

Yeah just put another hole for fuse box and overflow bottle, I already had a small dry cell that fits nicely

the polished strip and the black beaten up part at the bottom. that was with a 17x9.5 -3 with a 225/45 and 7 degrees caster.

2011-12-05103620.jpg

web.jpg?ver=12990463730001

don't worry I'm not singling you out beam.

If we all look at the OEM box section above the outer edge of the tyre you'll see that almost all tubs add absolutley no additional clearance for more suspension travel.

The second thing to note is we all use Camber at the wheels ahead position.

The tub must be angled upwards to match the angle the strut top is on if you are to actually get an improvement over stock.

It's also very easy to see where the tubs DoNt need to be in this shot.

Everywhere inboard,fore aft and above the coilspring can stay factory sheet metal.

All it does is eat up engine bayspace and bring your car one step closer to looking like a Torana's boot.

Totally get what you guys are saying. My front end was more than just clearance for wheels are additional lock. For me it was also about strengthening the front end as with the drivetrain I am running there will be significant stress, changes in the radiator and intercooler support and a quick release to assist with removing the drivetrain through the front. I also wanted a neat clean lines engine bay too. Look at picture 2

web.jpg?ver=12990464430001

web.jpg?ver=13215774330003

web.jpg?ver=12990463730001

don't worry I'm not singling you out beam.

If we all look at the OEM box section above the outer edge of the tyre you'll see that almost all tubs add absolutley no additional clearance for more suspension travel.

The second thing to note is we all use Camber at the wheels ahead position.

The tub must be angled upwards to match the angle the strut top is on if you are to actually get an improvement over stock.

It's also very easy to see where the tubs DoNt need to be in this shot.

Everywhere inboard,fore aft and above the coilspring can stay factory sheet metal.

All it does is eat up engine bayspace and bring your car one step closer to looking like a Torana's boot.

P.S- :thumbsup: LOL HARD at the Torana Boot Comment ! I am looking a bit Summer Nats - When Bogan's Attack with the Supercharger poking out of the bonnet.

Edited by beamboy

What is the name of his thread, I cant find any threads on tubbing

just search "Kelway" - I don't think he mentions tubs specifically but he will make anything. Also with his design you don't cut the whole front off like the pics in this thread.

see if this link works

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=489564&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by adam

thanks heaps for all the responses guys it has helped me heaps. I think I am going to give the tubs a miss, just seems like alot of work for not much gain. I am so impressed with some of the engine bay photos, keep up the good work everybody.