Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Mod knuckle question...

Hello all,

I seem to have a toe in problem. I had fabricator shorten my knuckles and move my rack forward to avoid steering bind.

Since then i installed some ISC toe arms and rack ends onto existing rack spacers. But i cant seem get my toe setting back to 0.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do i have to cut my tie rods down or just disregard the lock spacers?

Cheers

Why would you shorten your knuckles?

I would just trim the tie rods, but it sounds like you have other issues, as I have never heard of anyone haveing too much toe in after fitting modded knuckles... Were they done right?

If he added spacers to the end of the rack then it would give toe in and need to cut the tie rod shorter to get back to straight

I've found the same with mine. Havent played around with it yet but will prob just try a shorter rack end.

I dont understand....are you just running out of adjustment on the tie rods? if so just cut the rack end shorter.

It's not a matter of cutting rack end shorter. I'm running out of thread on rack end. Just need a slightly shorter rack end. Should be pretty easy to work out, just haven't gotten round to it yet.

If he added spacers to the end of the rack then it would give toe in and need to cut the tie rod shorter to get back to straight

but what sort of knuckles are going to remove less than 6mm of akerman from each side.

I had a well know fabricator who does a lot of drift mods around this area do them. They have been shortened along with the cross member itself (instead of using offset rack spacers). Im finding that i cant wind the tie rods in enough to have the wheels pointing straight... I think the rack ends are hitting the the tie rod ends inside the turn-buckle :S

Cut some thread off the tie rod itself not rack end, just cause u work on drift cars doesn't mean u understand knuckles

This is why you buy knuckles from people who know what their doing. Ours and many other knuckles never have any issues with this.

My custom ones we made in my KE i had to lengthen my steering arms to fix the problem of bringing it back to close to zero.

wow whats all the fuss about all he needs to do is cut about 20mm off the ends of his tie rods and itl be sweet. whats all this crap ^^^ about

They must be some pretty wack knuckles if they added more ackerman (than stock), especially where its at the point where you need much shorter outer rack ends. Usually its the opposite and longer ones are needed.

If you cant figure out what you need to do to get the toe right i doubt you should be allowed near an angle grinder, get someone knowledged to cut the outer rack ends for you.

Im assumeing you have aftermarket rod ends to suit a s14, which have longer lca's then the s13. I ran into a similar issue on my old s13 when i put s14 lca's in except it was the other way around -too much toe out. The s14 rack ends are longer then s13 by about 10-15mm to account for the lomger lca. If you have more thread on the rack ends (10-15mm worth) then the easiest solution would be to trim them down if the are bottoming out in the rod ends. Start with 5mm either side and see how much toe out you can run. If you can get maybe 5mm toe out per side then thats obviously more then you need. Dont cut too much out as you really do want as much threaded into the rod end as possible, theres a lot of force going through them while driving.

-dan

And to those telling the op his an idiot and shouldnt do what his doing. Telling him to cut the OUTER toe rod END, maybe you should bite your tongues and go have a look at some silvia toe rods....then you might realise that you definately should not be doing this!

-dan

If he is having the same problem as me then the rack end is out of thread. I have the locking nut a far inward as I can go and still got toe in. I'm gonna sort it out next week. I think s13 rack ends ad tie rod ends will work but they are a smaller thread. I think a pulsar of some kind has same length as s13 but the thicker s14 thread.

And to those telling the op his an idiot and shouldnt do what his doing. Telling him to cut the OUTER toe rod END, maybe you should bite your tongues and go have a look at some silvia toe rods....then you might realise that you definately should not be doing this!

-dan

went through all the posts and noone said that

Edited by blingcommander

-dan

went through all the posts and noone said that

Cut some thread off the tie rod itself not rack end, just cause u work on drift cars doesn't mean u understand knuckles

mixed terminology but i feel that he means the rod ends...?

They must be some pretty wack knuckles if they added more ackerman (than stock), especially where its at the point where you need much shorter outer rack ends. Usually its the opposite and longer ones are needed.

If you cant figure out what you need to do to get the toe right i doubt you should be allowed near an angle grinder, get someone knowledged to cut the outer rack ends for you.

again, "outer rack end" ? well i can only assume he's talking about the rod ends here?

thanks for the tip though blingy, very constructive to the OP :thumbsup:

-dan

I don't see how cutting the end will do anything it bottoms out the same, my post means cutting threads off the rod

You cut some off the rack end, the part that is bottoming out in the tie tod end. The more you cut off the more it can screw in and hence the less toe in the car can run....

-dan

Car is an S13. Parts were not modded by myself, but by Visky (Garage low) who has worked on a fair few cars that drive winton etc.

There shouldnt be any more cutting required for the following specs:

Standard steering rack.

Standard LCA's

Gk tech rack spacers.

ISC tie-rod kit.

Visky shortened knuckles

Visky modded cross member. (knuckles and rack are in-line)

Ditch the ischina tie rod ends....Or at least put them next to some stock ones and see if they are the issue.

-dan