Sign in to follow this  
S14_Lee

Just had a diff sent from SA, its damaged....

Hey guys,

I have bought a 1.5 way cusco diff with 4.1 final drive, from a jap wrecker in SA through E bay.

It seems to have been damaged in transit. It seems to have been dropped on the stud thread on the rear. (dont know tech name for it)

xmassanddiff004.jpg

xmassanddiff006.jpg

xmassanddiff005.jpg

I just want to do some home work before I let seller know (seller has been awsome so far I have no problem there).

Both this diff and the one on my are R200's so the rear hat should be interchangeable ?

And if so do I need a gasket for it ?

I paid about market value for the diff should I ask for a replacement ?

The photo's on E Bay show the thread not bent

Thanks in advance

Lee

Edited by S14_Lee

Your existing rear housing should fit straight on. From memory it is simply a liquid gasket (get some liquid gasket maker from Supercheap).

I wouldn't even bother mentioning it to the seller (it's not his fault), I would just swap the rear housings over and install it.

Edited by SIR ASHMAN

I'd still mention it to the seller. So he can say something to the courier company (if that is when it was damaged).

Not really fair that they damage something and don't have to hear anything about it.

def let the freight company know your not happy that they have dropped the item. ask to speak to the manager etc and the boys mite get a speaking too. Just replace the rear, i always find permatex black a good gasket goo. has not failed me yet.

thanks for the reply's guys. so a genuine nissan gasket from taark is not needed ?

P.S. I have never changed a diff

If he has one, then id prefer to use a nissan gasket but alot of people just use the goo. aslong as the surface is good, do as the instructions say on the permatex packet. put the shiz on, bolt it up but only finger tight, let it semi dry then torque it up.

the studs just srew in and out man, so you can either take one off your old rear hat or buy a new one. save messing about with gasket goo etc

screw two nuts onto the stud and tighten them against each other and then use the inner nut to unwind the stud out of the hat