Sign in to follow this  
i_want_a_180

Private Health Insurance - is it worth it?

not sure if this has been covered but i thought i'd ask the question for those who have it, or those thinking of getting it.

but is Private health insurance actually worth it??, reason why I ask is that in a month of so, I'll be slugged with a $3500 dentist bill (thats the dentists costs + anaethetist + the private hospitals fees) for my daughters dental work that needs doing. After looking at iselect and all the usual health fund website, I found that we'd have to pay a shite load each month to get 2 parts of f**k all back. (plus you've got the usual 12 month waiting period for "major dental")

what are your thoughts?

Edited by i_want_a_180

2 x dental checkups per year.. = approx $4-500

up to $300 or so on new glasses every year..

a few visits to the chiropractor/physio per year.. = a few hundred bucks..

i suppose these are the things you can and likely will claim regularly..

+ the benefits of the cover you get should anything bad happen to you..

less waiting times and better equipment at private hospitals.

weigh up the costs and benefits..

Have always had private health, with the family,.. then since 21, I've had it on my own,

Every year I get glasses on the cheap,.. but other than that really havent got much out of it.

Dont want to cancel it now, as knowing my luck just after I cancel it, I'll need it.

dont think its a necessity with the medical system we have in this country, but as long as I can afford it, I'll have it.

Have always had private health, with the family,.. then since 21, I've had it on my own,

Every year I get glasses on the cheap,.. but other than that really havent got much out of it.

Dont want to cancel it now, as knowing my luck just after I cancel it, I'll need it.

dont think its a necessity with the medical system we have in this country, but as long as I can afford it, I'll have it.

why dont you claim your dental checkups?

that would involve going to the dentist,.. oh i did get my wisdom teeth done last year, that was well worth it,.. but other than that realy dont go to the dentist often enough

Unless you need to get health insurance due to tax, or you love making visits to the various types of doctors/dentists/chiropractors ect ect then i don't see a need.

America on the other hand without Health Care your dead!

I've got my Private Health Care threw Medibank Private. Got it as soon as I moved out of home.

It's come in handy quite a few times and missus needs some surgery soon and it's covering nearly 10k in bills for us which has helped heaps!

I use almost all the the benifits because I'm paying for it so may as well use it. Chiropractor and remedial therapy have been my main ones as I've had back problems for awhile.

join the ADF and you don't need to worry about it, all covered :)

if it covered all dental i would get it otherwise i pay tax for medicare until its cheaper for me to get private.

I've got it and i'm glad i do.

The standard dental checkups cover half the cost a year. You get a good clean out of it, so why not?!

On top of that you can go get massages (who doesn't like a good massage) and only pay like $10-15 per time instead of the $50+.

Chiro, i hate it so don't use it.

However i do see a physio regularly once a month which saves me $40 each time. ($500+ for me the past 12months).

AND, i was also unfortunate enough to have to undergo operations which totaled nearly $15k within the last 2 years, with my gap only being $200 including the private hospital bed/room.

Granted before that i hadn't used it for anything major in the previous 15 years, however even taking that into account i have still come out on top.

Considering they were only minor operations i think it's logical in my case to assume that even if i only have 1 minor/major health issue within every 15 year period, it's worth it.

You answered your own question really. I've got a similar approach.. I don't use health services enough.. It would be handy for an emergency but overall it would just encourage me to spend money that I wouldn't otherwise spend.

Yeah man get it!

It's like travel insurance.

I had to pay around 700 in medical in Thailand and I'm being covered for it.

Same thing with private health here, if something f**ks up, no waiting in line for months or years and it's all covered!!!!

It's not exactly ALL coverd. They only pay like a small amount of it.

I just took it out with HCF. My dentist recommended them. Not to say they will suit everybody though, you got to look at what you need. I was getting all caught up in everything and wanted to give up in choosing a fund. Then I thought f**k it and just got a typical policy. Paying about $17 a week.

I've got to get my wisdom teeth taken out and it requires surgery in hospital, so it would have been silly for me not to get it.

Edited by Dan.

A friend works in a hospital doing billing/ medical records. If something goes wrong with your body, and u dont have insurance it can cost shitloads. Or u could be waiting in pain for 6months waiting for a public bed

If u have a car crash, who pays for your recovery throaty?

Me and my wife have the cheapest cover with medibank

Even that has already paid for itself in 6 months

We both have dental problems, nothing major but a few holes here and there and not all our wisdom teeth removed yet

Plus add her glasses

Definatley worth it

Hmm seems like the consensus is it's worth it...

One thing that still has got me puzzled, when you guys say it's paid for itself, is that you haven't paid a cent, or your forked out and then claimed all back? Not going over your annual limit

If you go with HCF i know someone there and can give a little discount. If you keen pm me and I will send you her email address.

I think it's worth it, considering its only 60ish dollars per month, used it a few times last year for dental, chipped some teeth playing sport and got them all fixed for like $90 or something.

A colllleague at work doesn't beleive in it, and just has a separate savings account where he stores money for emergencies...he got his hand crushed and paid for the surgery in cash :lol:

Hmm seems like the consensus is it's worth it...

One thing that still has got me puzzled, when you guys say it's paid for itself, is that you haven't paid a cent, or your forked out and then claimed all back? Not going over your annual limit

The money that I have gotten back when claiming has been more than the premium i have paid

No time to write a huge thing unfortunately... but health insurance isnt worth it for me.

Hospital cover is a rip, unless your over 30 and get the tax benifits, i never go to a doctor let alone a hospital and if i did i wouldnt mind seeing any doctor or sharing a room if it means its for free.

Extra's are good, but unless you already spend the money for services such as chiro, acupunctioner, dentists, buying glasses/sunglasses every year then your losing out.

sorry for the rushed post.

i just have basic mbf cover... 730 a year and covers everything i need... its worth just getting ambo cover at 50 a year cause if u have an accident out in the bush on a motor bike or even at the snow a long ambo/ helicopter trip can cost thousands!

Health insurance is like car insurance - you should hope that you won't have to make a claim, but at least if the worst happened you would be covered.

Interesting to see the various perspectives here. I can't imagine that the people who don't have health insurance would be driving uninsured.

Health insurance is like car insurance - you should hope that you won't have to make a claim, but at least if the worst happened you would be covered.

Interesting to see the various perspectives here. I can't imagine that the people who don't have health insurance would be driving uninsured.

We have been to emergency a few times and had a baby in public system and never had to pay anything so its hardly like comparing it to a uninsured vehicle.

We have been to emergency a few times and had a baby in public system and never had to pay anything so its hardly like comparing it to a uninsured vehicle.

I stand by what I said from my personal experiences.

My father had surgery on a hernia.

Waiting time in the public system - 18 months.

Waiting time with private health insurance - 1 month.

Every met anyone who has had dental surgery under the public system? The wait gets a lot longer.

Like I said, it would be a great year if you never had to claim anything, but if something bad does happen or an expensive ambulance ride then it is certainly worth having.

had it for 5 yrs now.. never claimed anything...

but due for some wisdoms out. and im a high risk for aesthetics.. so gonna be interesting.. last time i was put under.. i flat lined.

gonna really work my private health hard i think..

doing some reshearch as i might get a family pacl cover so when the time comes for your 2nd kid we can go private, bupa seems to stand out the most.

might have a word with them in person next time

if you have kids, get it. If you play sport, get it. If your mostly a couch sitter with decent teeth and a good familg medical history dont bother, simple really.