Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

So i have been nothing but frustrated with the disposable razors available, i tried them all, mach 3, shick quatro, all that rubbish, the tag line is "Gillette, the best a man can get"........yeah i don't think so.

Now about 2 months ago i looked into other options, and from my research i found old school safety razors were supposed to be sharper and better than disposables, and then cut throat razors give a even closer shave.

I went out and bought a merkur double edged safety razor for 40 bucks and a pack of Astra blades, and all i have to say is DAM!!!! with a brand new disposable razor what would take 4-5 strokes i can do one sweep and my face is smooth with the safety razor, i really want to try out some other branded blades as i hear they all vary person to person and are all different. And for about $20 for a pack of 100 blades, opposed to about $16 for 3 replacement cartridges on a disposable razor, its so much cheaper now too!

I really cant believe what ive been missing! Shaving is actually pleasurable now, before, it would be agony to shave especially my mustache, now its so easy and pain free. Ive heard that cut throat razors are even sharper still, and offer the closest shave you can get, but you need to sharpen them yourself. I might get one soon and try it out, been looking at one that's around $200.

what im using:

merkur1904.jpg

what i want:

100868.jpg

so what does everyone on here use to shave????

mens-trimmer-22.jpg

This.

Although I do have a cut throat razor which I only use when I need to do formal.

And it is fantastic!!!!!!

Don't do any of the Mach style razors, they are so shit imo.

Some POS disposable razor I only shave my side burns I do it everyday so they are easy to do

If my goatee grows too long I cut it with scissors

Gilette fusion has always been fine for me..

If I wash my face with warm water before shaving and rub on a decent shaving gel then I never have any problems. To finish up I use an aftershave/moisturising gel.

I currently use the following:

1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable Gilette Slim 2.jpg

Astra Superior Platinum blades astra superior platinum.jpg

Edwin Jagger EJ946 Best Badger brush EJ946 + stand.jpg

Mama Bears Bonzai glycerin shave soap (homemade mob in the US, $9.95 a tub from memory) Mama Bears Bonzai.gif

I've got a couple of red dot straight razors that I plan to restore and learn to shave with but it won't be an everyday thing. My dream straight razor is a Japanese one, in particular the Iwasaki straight razor.

iwata-1.jpg

Disposable razors if i need to look 'clean' for a formal/party/trying to impress/etc

scissors to trim on 'meh, whatever' days.

i also get ingrowns from using disposable razors :\ tips?

Are they really harsh on your skin though? I'd just be a little worried I wasn't f**king my face. I won't shave more than twice a week, hate the shit.

Are they really harsh on your skin though? I'd just be a little worried I wasn't f**king my face. I won't shave more than twice a week, hate the shit.

i use a straight razor as my regular shave and the harshness cones from how hard and fast you shave. forget about it if your in a hurry cause if you try to speed it up you'll butcher yourself. otherwise i love mine. its just a cheap Italian one i got from a barber.

Had the whiskers on my neck lasered because I used a lot of irritation when shaving, love it so much am getting my face done too. Can't wait to never have to shave again!

a bloke at work has started using them. talks about it all the f**king time to the point nausea sets in with most of us, i'm talking as soon as he comes in to work of a morning, its all about "straight razors". drives me f**king nuts!

I can see the benfit of them, not having to buy the disposables every couple of weeks, but i'd imagine there'd be a lot of maintenance with a straight razor keeping it sharp enough not to hack your face apart each pass you do.

Disposable razors if i need to look 'clean' for a formal/party/trying to impress/etc

Don't shave against the grain, should prevent ingrowns

i've been shaving with a cutthroat razor for a couple of years.

i would never use anything else. it was a little awkward at first but once you get the technique down its a piece of cake.

not hard to sharpen at all so long as you strop it after every use to keep the hollow ground edge in top condition.

if anyone is thinking about trying it i suggest trying to shave a baloon first. it might sound odd but it certainly helps.

blow up a baloon and cover it in shaving cream/gel and shave away. it really helps you to get comfortable.

Get a real razor like the one I & CroS13 posted above - I got mine from an antique store, washed it thoroughly in boiling water about 20 times, cleaned it up and bought a pack of 100 blades for $20. Outlay was $40, not hard to work out how much cheaper it becomes over the course of a year.

1) Steam your face - hot shower before shaving, then a hot towell/face washer on your whiskers just before shaving (the hotter the better as it softens the whiskers)

2) Lather properly - don't just wipe it on your face, work it into the whiskers with your fingertips (better to use a brush though, badger/boar hair not a shit synthetic one) as it helps lift the whiskers. Foam/Gels are shit, to do it properly get a shaving soap or cream from a shave shop, not bloody Coles or Woollies.

3) Take notice of the direction your facial hair grows and shave following the growth direction (you will have to change your shaving technique a little, will take a little more time at first to follow the direction accurately)

4) Rinse the blade regularly but don't tap it on the sink

5) Once finished shaving rinse face with cold water and then allow a COLD face washer to rest on your face (start out with a face washer in ice water for the first few shaves until your face gets used to it)

TAKE YOUR TIME! Good shaving preparation and technique takes time to get right but the results are worth it.

Yeah shave opposite, if it happens all the time shave in the direction of grown.

Moisturize like f**k. There's a good one I used to use when I used to wax. It's a moisturizer that has like grains, use that and the sponge.

Do it with steam, say in the shower, it cleans and opens your pores, do that 2-3 times a day and you won't get in growns.

My dads an italian barber with all the usual barber equipment, and cut throat is highly dangerous imo!

I tried learning it once and got over it pretty fast, The main thing from what i can see with cut throat is you need to be consistent and have speed its like drifting you cant drift in 1st gear even though your going slow but the cars all smashing limiter and being jerky same goes with cut throat/straight razor you need to keep a pace if you go slow you make mistakes!

I dont know many people who can do there own entire face with a straight edge!

Edited by antonioシ

a bloke at work has started using them. talks about it all the f**king time to the point nausea sets in with most of us, i'm talking as soon as he comes in to work of a morning, its all about "straight razors". drives me f**king nuts!

I can see the benfit of them, not having to buy the disposables every couple of weeks, but i'd imagine there'd be a lot of maintenance with a straight razor keeping it sharp enough not to hack your face apart each pass you do.

well he is raving about them for a reason, im not one to post useless tripe in here like others do for no reason... so if your still using disposables i reccomend f**King them off.

I use safety razors, you dont have to sharpen them, just replace the single blade that is inside. and a pack of 100 blades is $20, so lasts longer than a few weeks.

anyway, im using proraso soap, itallian, and its pretty good, gives a nice cooling feeling when you use it, ill admit though, it does take abit longer to work up a good lather on your face, maybe a good 40 seconds to a minute.

prorasosoapgreentub75ml.png

might try a different brand of soap next, i also had a badger hair brush from ages ago, works a treat, think i paid about $100 for it back in the day.

i also am meaning to buy a sampler pack, i think its about $12 for about 30 razor blades, and 5 or so brands to try.

i keep hearing that feather razors are the sharpest you can buy.

display19.jpg

im using the astra blades atm, and they are sharp, real sharp, and dont irritate my skin, but they only last about 2 to 3 shaves each before they start getting blunt.

If people are having problems with sensative skin and irritation, its 99.9% problem is the gel or cream you are using, they are rubbish, need to get a good old school soap and really work it into a thick lather.

Ever since my girlfriend told me not to shave but use clippers, it's been so awesome. Now I look more my age and don't have to fiddle around with shaving.

^Lucky, mines the opposite. She want's clean shaven, but it never happens. I had my beard around 5cms at one time, longest I've let it grow and man I fell in love with it, couldn't part with it.

Stupid wedding came up and I had to :(

CroS13 Feather blades are seriously sharp, insanely so. The Iwasaki Kamisori straight I posted earlier is meant to be sharper again :)

Yeah shave opposite, if it happens all the time shave in the direction of grown.

Moisturize like f**k. There's a good one I used to use when I used to wax. It's a moisturizer that has like grains, use that and the sponge.

Do it with steam, say in the shower, it cleans and opens your pores, do that 2-3 times a day and you won't get in growns.

its called exfoliating cream

I have to use it (no homo) because naturally I get dry skin. It gets rid of it all.

Edited by Shark

Woah, exfoliating 2-3 times a day? You sure you don't mean 2-3 times a week? Even 1-2 times a week is fine.

Edited by Dan.

Thats the thing, I shave along the grain :\

Get a real razor like the one I & CroS13 posted above - I got mine from an antique store, washed it thoroughly in boiling water about 20 times, cleaned it up and bought a pack of 100 blades for $20. Outlay was $40, not hard to work out how much cheaper it becomes over the course of a year.

1) Steam your face - hot shower before shaving, then a hot towell/face washer on your whiskers just before shaving (the hotter the better as it softens the whiskers)

2) Lather properly - don't just wipe it on your face, work it into the whiskers with your fingertips (better to use a brush though, badger/boar hair not a shit synthetic one) as it helps lift the whiskers. Foam/Gels are shit, to do it properly get a shaving soap or cream from a shave shop, not bloody Coles or Woollies.

3) Take notice of the direction your facial hair grows and shave following the growth direction (you will have to change your shaving technique a little, will take a little more time at first to follow the direction accurately)

4) Rinse the blade regularly but don't tap it on the sink

5) Once finished shaving rinse face with cold water and then allow a COLD face washer to rest on your face (start out with a face washer in ice water for the first few shaves until your face gets used to it)

TAKE YOUR TIME! Good shaving preparation and technique takes time to get right but the results are worth it.

Haha thanks for the tips, I'll try them all next time :thumb: I have more facial hair than my dad so didn't really learn much from him

Edited by kevin.g

Thread revival.

I have a tough beard and it grows quickly. I couldn't find any M3 m-power razors and stuffed if I'm going to pay close to $40 for the Fusion crap so after seeing this, I started doing some research. Its amazing the amount of different razors, blades, soaps, creams and all the other stuff thats out there. They have forums for it!!!!!!

So after my research I went and bought the following for my first wet shave kit; this was cheaper and much better than buying a ready to go 'kit' from online stores...

Merkur Solingen 34C HD Razor

It was between this and the Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle R89. Ended up going with this because it supposedly gives a slightly more aggressive shave than the others. The general consensus is that the others are better built and finished but I wanted a stronger more aggressive razor for my tough beard! I was contemplating the Merkur Progress or Futur (both adjustable for more aggressive shaves) but will upgrade to those if I like wet shaving.

Optimized-Merkur_34c_2.JPG

OMEGA pure badger shaving brush 63167

Bought this from the same seller of the Merkur 34c purely for convenience. You can spend up to $200 on a badger brush!!! This will do for now.

31TaoWUR-bL._SX450_.jpg

Shaveshed 55 blade sampler pack

Has a heap of different blades to try. Might be a little confusing but I have read various things about them so will be keen to give them a try. Feather blades are the sharpest apparently so will give them a go once I am comfortable with the shaving process.

sampler%20pack_2_o.jpg

Proraso Sensitve Shave Soap

pro_ss_sensitive_o.jpg

Taylors of Old Bond Street Sensitive Cream

taylor-sensitive-skin-shaving-cream-150g.jpg

I bought a soap and a cream just to try them out and see how they 'lather' up.

Col. Conk Styptic Pencil

To help with cuts and nicks.... reckon I'll use this a bit lol

31-dLcxt46L.jpg

I already have an aftershave balm so will use that.

So that's my kit :)

Can add more items (a lather bowl, preshave oil, proper stand etc) but that will do me for now.

Cant wait for all this stuff to arrive and give it crack :woot: Yes it seems crazy to get excited about shaving but this stuff is quite cool :yes:

Has anyone else got on to this or upgraded their shaving gear?

I just bought a heap of new shave soaps from Mama Bears:

Winter Woods

Sapmoss

Spellbound Woods

Magnet

Hinoki Woods

+ a few samples

These will last me a LONG time but I couldn't resist buying a heap at once just to see what they're like as I like Mama Bear's shave soaps. Still so many I want to try though like Mitchell's Wool Fat, Col Conk Bay Rum, pretty much all of the Razorock range and more.

Also bought a trial pack of blades as my 100 pack of Astras will run out soon and 10 Bolzano Superinox blades as well

wp7a012e0a.png

bolzano5packb1.jpg

Lastly I bought a new soap dish as mine was a cheapo in a kit from the Shavershop about 10 years ago and was starting to peel and flake into my soap. I bought this 1930's bakelite item from ebay.

$T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRoprBRIB36Jh7w%7E%7E60_35.JPG

you guys know shavings for women yeah? haha

but on a serious note. been eyeing off cut throat razors for when i do ditch my manly as f**k beard.

• Upvote 1

If I was too pussy to take a real blade to my face i'd make jokes about having a beard too..... Unless I leave the RAAF I don't really have a choice in the matter. It shits me that I can't claim shaving stuff on tax as apparently not being clean shaving doesn't affect my ability to earn an income. Watch how long I would last if I just decided not to shave whilst in the ADF, about 2 weeks I reckon, so it certainly affects my ability to earn an income in my chosen field of employment. It's a f**king service condition you jewcunts.

If I was too pussy to take a real blade to my face i'd make jokes about having a beard too..... Unless I leave the RAAF I don't really have a choice in the matter. It shits me that I can't claim shaving stuff on tax as apparently not being clean shaving doesn't affect my ability to earn an income. Watch how long I would last if I just decided not to shave whilst in the ADF, about 2 weeks I reckon, so it certainly affects my ability to earn an income in my chosen field of employment. It's a f**king service condition you jewcunts.

but that's like saying "I can't claim food stuff on tax as apparently not being fed doesn't affect my ability to earn an income. Watch how long I would last if I just decided not to eat whilst in the ADF, about 2 weeks I reckon, so it certainly affects my ability to earn an income in my chosen field of employment." :P

Hey Cefiro i would not recommend Mitchel"s wool fat, i bought it, wow... the smell, i did 2 shaves and tossed the rest, could not stand the smell. Lets say I'm glad not to be shaving in the 1920's that's for sure.

Nearly out of Proraso, Maybe a few shaves left. I have Col Conks Bay rum and Almond sitting here ready to go, Tried it before, quite a bitch to get Lathered up, as its actually a block of hard soap, its not a cream/soft paste like the Proraso.

Still have not sharpened my cut throat, i did buy a wet stone for it though.....