Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

Thanks man, a shave soap has to have a decent smell so that might well kill that idea. The bowl I bought off Ebay is tiny, not the size I thought it was at all so I'm now on the hunt for another decent bowl unfortunately.

man u guys have too much time on your hands. in the morning i shave my face in about 20secs.

and i shave about twice a week. no point in me getting rid of the disposable....

^ Most people don't see shaving as something to take their time with though and treat is a chore, often as a result of that mentality they get shit results. I'd rather take my time shaving everyday and do it properly than feel like my face is burning, have ingrown whiskers and cut my face up from shit preparation & equipment.

I have been using the shick quatro.

Thinking of getting a proper single blade shaver or just getting it removed with laser hair removal.

Done laser once on the face, worked great but did nothing for the hairs around my mouth, everything helse was clean like a babies bottom.

Problem being, me not going back for follow ups, and hair growing back patchy and having to shave.

After about 6 months of shaving it got back to normal.

Laser hair removal on your face? That's some weird Little Richard shit.

Lol I truley hate shaving

It will take some time to work out the best angles to use and get your technique sorted when you first start with an old school safety razor or a straight. Hair grows in different directions so taking time initially to learn the contours of your face and how your facial grows means once you get comfortable with the new style of shaving you can move pretty quickly and get a good shave. It may take you 15 minutes at first to get a feel for the razor and learn how to use it without leaving a murder scene in the sink.

All up I'd guess it would take me maybe 5 minutes to lather with a brush and do a 2 pass shave, one with the grain and one across. It depends on how much effort I put in, how close a shave I really want, how sharp the razor is, etc. I hate rushing in the morning but don't want to spend all morning in the bathroom either.

I'm still waiting on my stuff but yesterday I used my old shave brush and tried to lather up on my face. Normally I just get the gel and rub it in but this time I put the gel on the brush and worked it on for a minute or so.

What a difference it made! Was using a 2 shave old disposable cheap Mach3 (the nasty ones not the expensive cartridge type) and it made it so much better.

Can't wait for the good stuff to come.

I find these help too for the straight lines

shaving_mirror.jpg

there have only been 2 shaving cremes i have liked, the others feel rough and need more force for the blades to glide, where as these give a smooth cutting feel and make the blades slide right off your skin.

1) is found at coles, and 2) at woolies

1) shave-gel.jpg

2)MILK%20Shave%20Milk%20150ml-978normal.jpg

Edited by Wrexy

there have only been 2 shaving cremes i have liked, the others feel rough and need more force for the blades to glide, where as these give a smooth cutting feel and make the blades slide right off your skin.

1) is found at coles, and 2) at woolies

1) shave-gel.jpg

Yes that's the one I use now. Very very good and much better than any of the fusion or other stuff.

man u guys have too much time on your hands. in the morning i shave my face in about 20secs.

and i shave about twice a week. no point in me getting rid of the disposable....

I have the Gilette fusion power. (Vibrates) I've found it's the only one that doesn't irritate my skin. A long with anti rash/irritation cream.

It takes me about a minuet to shave. I've worked out by trial and error all the directions I need to shave at without causing ingrown hairs.

I used to use a throat cut razor but that cuts too close and causes heaps of irritation, even cream doesn't help. I'll only throat cut on special occasions.

Also a tip for people who get ingrown hair, DO NOT shave after a shower or use a warm towel before shaving. Most people say shave after a shower. Reason why i say this (This is for people who get ingrown hairs a lot) is having a shower will open up your pores and soften the skin quite a lot. Shaving right after or during a shower will cut the hair a lot closer then cold cuts. Yes this means a closer shave but as your skin cools down your pores close up (Back to normal) and will cover over your newly shaved hair. When that comes up it gets trapped causing ingrown hair.

I used to shave during a shower, or right after and I'd get a few ingrown hair. After I stopped that I don't get ingrown hair anymore.

It's a cut throat not throat cut and the bit about not shaving after steaming your face in the shower or with a hot towel is complete horseshit.

Ingrowns come from shit technique like not shaving with the grain first pass, a razor that isn't sharp enough or shaving too aggressively, pressing too hard against the skin, etc.

Where do you guys buy your stuff? Might look into a beginners kit / buy a few bits individually... Dont wanna spend heaps but prepered to outlay enough to get something decent because it should last a while. My brother got a kit and i used that and managed not to slice myself to bits..

I have a few sites that I use depending on what I want.

I'm going through bit of a Mama Bears Soaps trial at the moment so get all my shave soaps from there. The good thing about getting one of their 5oz soaps in the plastic tub is that you then don't have to buy a soap dish and can buy any refill you want from any brand & it'll fit in there.

For other soaps and blades I use the following:

The Traditional Shaving Company

Connaught Shaving

Italian Barber

Soaps & blades are your expendables, get a few different ones to see what you like. Most online stores offer sample packs for blades and try a few different soaps/creams to see what you prefer. Spend the money on a decent abdger hair brush and it will last a lifetime. You can pay a lot of money for a razor, I opted to get a few cheap second handers and stuck with the one I liked the most, a Gillette Slim Adjustable like this ad on ebay. It would be a decent first razor to get just make sure you clean it thoroughly. Soak a few times in boiling water then scrub with an old toothbrush & toothpase to bring the lustre on the nickel plating back.

There's a good cheap kit on eBay for around $50 that has a Weishi razor, omega boar brush and some soaps, balm and razors. On my phone other wise I would have put a link. Search for shave kit or something like that.

Check on Mensbiz, Shaveshed (Shaveshed are great) for some other options.

I'll let you know how I go with mine soon as it has all arrived.

yeah i use mensbiz

It's a cut throat not throat cut and the bit about not shaving after steaming your face in the shower or with a hot towel is complete horseshit. Ingrowns come from shit technique like not shaving with the grain first pass, a razor that isn't sharp enough or shaving too aggressively, pressing too hard against the skin, etc.

Sorry man but it's not horseshit. You are right as well, ingrowns come from different things, such as the ones you have mentioned.

You can get ingrowns from shaving right after a shower.

OK, gave it a crack yesterday. It's much harder than it looks!

I used the following;

• Merkur 34c
  • Astra Stainless Blade
  • Omega Badger Brush
  • Proraso Sensitive Shave Soap
  • Ceramic bowl for lather

The Merkur - I liked the look of it and it was pretty easy to load with the 2 piece design.The weight was good, not heavy and not light, felt well weighted. But its very short compared to the normal Gillette/Shick commercial stuff so it felt a little uncomfortable in the hand at first. I think it will take some time getting used to the small handle, especially after years of long handle use.

The Astra blades I cant really comment on as they were the first I tried. Not as sharp as I thought but my technique is crap so cant blame them just yet.

The soap - struggled to get a good lather using a bowl but probably not the soap but just me again. But the soap left my face feeling very dry afterwards and really had to use a balm to 'moisturise' it. I'll try the cream next as not keen on the dry feeling it left afterwards.

First impression of 'wet shaving' - its pretty hard! I knicked myself a fair bit (probably 3 or 4 bleed spots!) but my growth is very tough and combined with not the best lather and poor shaving technique it was bound to happen.

Now I realise why this isn't for everyone. Its a lot of effort to shave with so much to do and it feels like starting all over again. The technique is completely different to your Mach 3 shave and it takes longer.

But shaving now seems like more of a hobby now and almost fun as opposed to a chore and that is what I think makes this appeal to many people.

My wife laughed and me and said its a lot of effort for a shave when you have to do it all again very soon... hhmm. But I'll stick at it and get better!

I bought a double sided shaver, it came with astra blades too.

The only up side I can see is that its excellent for making straight lines, and cleaning up your beard if you rather not shave it.

go to menz biz and get a sampler pack of blade. see which ones suit you

Getting a decent lather now that I have worked out what is too dry and too wet.

Also the blade makes a massive difference, the feather literally sliced me everywhere, where as the Lord was sharp enough to cut nicely but not tear your face off.

Bought some pre-shave oil from Somersets just to aid with the process. Seems to have helped a little.

Yeah it's quite the art to get it right. I've been working through the sample pack of blades I mentioned on the previous page, here's the ones I've used so far:

Bolzano Superinox - These are ok but I found them a little dull for my liking, don't hold their edge as well as the Astra Superior Platinums I'd been using previously so had to change the blade out quicker and give the face an extra pass to get the shave I wanted.

Personna Platinum - I'd had 2 days off work before the weekend so had a 4 day growth happening by the time Monday morning rolled around. I get fairly coarse whiskers so 4 days is a good test for a new blade. These blades were seriously good, had no issues with the extra couple of days growth and held their edge all the way through to Friday's shave. These are my new favourite, sharp but not too aggressive.

Also the blade makes a massive difference, the feather literally sliced me everywhere, where as the Lord was sharp enough to cut nicely but not tear your face off.

I thought the Lord Platinums were really dull at first, but after I felt how close they got I see them more as gentle than dull. Only last about 2 shaves though.

For me the Feathers weren't really anything special. Sharp and adequate, but nothing special. They do take thick stuff off well though.

I've found the Gillette 7'Oclock Super Stainless (comes in a green packet, but be careful as there are two types of Gillette green packets) to be really sharp and pretty good. They don't rate highly with a lot of people for some reason though.

Im going to try Wilkinson blades next.

Any one used them?

I have only used astra and that tore skin off on some places.

Edited by Wrexy

No never used the Wilkinsons and dont have them in the sample pack.

So far I have tried

Astra Stainless - didnt feel sharp enough but first ones I tried.

Gilette Super Stainless - felt really good, Sharp but not too sharp.

Feather - felt too sharp and caused major damage. Not for a beginner!

Lord Superiors Stainless - Similar to the Gilettes but not as sharp.

I have only used them once and then moved on. Will try something else next and keep going till I've tried them all. Will then go back and retry the ones I liked most.

Im also going to buy this; its a long handle Feather Double Edge razor, I think it might be easier to use with the long handle. Its only $20-$30 delivered and the handle is plastic but reviews seem to rate it quite highly.

featherpopderaz.jpg

There's a good cheap kit on eBay for around $50 that has a Weishi razor, omega boar brush and some soaps, balm and razors. On my phone other wise I would have put a link. Search for shave kit or something like that.

For those interested, this kit is a pretty good kit to get started. Takes all the guess work and all you need thereafter are some razor blades which are very cheap;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHAVE-SET-DAILY-Proraso-Balm-Weishi-Razor-Omega-Brush-Soap-Stand-Astra-Blades-/321129052318?pt=AU_HairRemoval&hash=item4ac4c8789e&_uhb=1

purchased! apparently it's in Adelaide too, so it should be quick :)

expect a notice about some idiot slitting his throat while shaving, about mid next week :P

edit:

btw, how long does a blade last? I'm assuming one or two shaves?

Edited by pyro

^ Depends on the blade quality and your facial hair thickness, growth rate, etc. A new blade every 3-5 days is the average, although with a pull-through blade sharpener you'll get a long time out of one blade.