Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

purchased! apparently it's in Adelaide too, so it should be quick :)

expect a notice about some idiot slitting his throat while shaving, about mid next week :P

edit:

btw, how long does a blade last? I'm assuming one or two shaves?

Top stuff!!

Go to shaveshed.com and purchase their sample razor pack - has free shipping.

I will never shave with more than 1 blade ever again.

That is all.

Same way I felt after first shaving with a DE. It really is a case of 'they don't know what they're missing' for those that shave with an electric buzzer or pressure pack foams & Mach 3 type disposables.

Congratulations! Your no longer a slave to the Gillette corporation!

Thanks gents!

My god this is fantastic. This is my third shave now. I'll hopefully do a run-down early next week on differences/findings for the other noobs. I've also got the 55 blade sampler pack, so going to get into some of those as well.

My wife's not a huge fan of the Porasso smell. She thinks that it's a little too "old man"-ish. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think it's the after-shave balm that's causing her the most offence :lol:

Mama Bear's - my wife loves the smell of most of their soaps I've purchased. They have some hippy names - Ocean Rain, Spellbound Woods, etc - but she likes the 'earthy and masculine smells' (her words).

Bay rum has long been associated as a manly smell for shaving & showering soaps, maybe give that a try.

Razorock also make some pretty interesting soaps, they're cheap and get really good reviews online, apparently smell awesome.

I shave once a week, so i dont get to experiment as often.

last week was my first and it was abit patchy, went over once and thats it.

this week, tuesday i changed it up and put on shaving oil, then the shaving milk, shaved once with grain, changed the blade and shaved again with the grain (not against)

Great results this time, all hair cut even, and very close. pleased with the result, even with the cheap blades.

next week I will experiment and see how long the blades will last.

Why did you change the blade mid shave?

First pass should be with the grain (WTG),2nd across the grain (XTG) for a closer shave to get the whiskers from a different angle and 3rd against the grain (ATG). Pulling the skin taught also helps a lot on the first pass to get a nice close shave.

I found the hairs were being pinched while getting cut so I figured the blade must be blunt, and hoping it would give a close cut.

Ill try atg next time

Great to hear Pyro!

I love it as well. I'm getting much better and much more confident to get to all areas - had my first shave without any cuts lol

For comparison, last week I shaved with a Mach 3 turbo again (brand new) and it is no comparison. The Mach is nowhere near as sharp and you have to go over the same spot numerous times. It is more comfortable to use and you can shave quicker with it but the safety double edge is so much sharper, smoother and nicer to use, Much easier to get a close shave. I now only go 2 passes, with the grain and across the grain, I don't need to go against it unless I really want a smooth shave but it grows so quick there's no point lol. There's no way I could do this with a Mach 3, I had to shave against the grain as well.

I bought a Feather double safety razor with a long handle so keen to try that out.

Update on using the Feather double razor:

Much, much better than using the Merkur HD. The Feather is much lighter but coupled with a Feather blade is almost perfect. It feels like using a Gillette but much much sharper. Still have to be careful with it but it is so much nicer to shave with than the Merkur. Dont know what it was but it just feels so much more natural to use than the Merkur.

Really recommend it for newbies to this - cheap but excellent!

purchased! apparently it's in Adelaide too, so it should be quick smile.png

expect a notice about some idiot slitting his throat while shaving, about mid next week tongue.png

edit:

f**k ya, got me thinking about ditching the multi blades.... <_ hahaha>

you might want to think about one of these perhaps - ill be grabbing one when i get a kit..

http://www.ebay.com....=item3f20785dfc

question for the experienced. stubby handle or long handle? (dbl blade safety razor)

and badger or boar brush?

Edited by i_want_a_180

you might want to think about one of these perhaps - ill be grabbing one when i get a kit..

These are good. I have one but they leave white marks on your face.

I use an alum block too which I find to be pretty good and refreshing. It also gives you a bit of feedback on your shave.

Edited by _R_J_K_

i use stubby handle, and def badger brush, i get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside knowing a badger was murdered to make my shaving experience more enjoyable.

boar brush is too harsh....

so after looking at these things for a long time, my g/f ended up buying me (I chose, she paid) and now have done 3 shaves with it, but only tonight did I try a 3 pass shave due to learning how to hold it right for each pass.

It's probably the smoothest shave I've ever had. I also found the regrowth to be cleaner if I can describe it like that and not as harsh according to the mrs.

Because it gave me a closer shave, I am keen to see how long it takes to grow back to where I normally shave.

Will post up what I got later.

purchased! apparently it's in Adelaide too, so it should be quick :)

expect a notice about some idiot slitting his throat while shaving, about mid next week :P

edit:

f**k ya, got me thinking about ditching the multi blades.... dry.png hahaha

question for the experienced. stubby handle or long handle? (dbl blade safety razor)

and badger or boar brush?

Do it mate, you won't regret it!!!

i use stubby handle, and def badger brush, i get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside knowing a badger was murdered to make my shaving experience more enjoyable.

boar brush is too harsh....

I don't understand the brush. I thought the purpose of the brush was to move facial hair around before a shave to dislodge ingrowns, etc? I have a boar brush and it's not even remotely stiff enough to be able to do that.

so after looking at these things for a long time, my g/f ended up buying me (I chose, she paid) and now have done 3 shaves with it, but only tonight did I try a 3 pass shave due to learning how to hold it right for each pass.

It's probably the smoothest shave I've ever had. I also found the regrowth to be cleaner if I can describe it like that and not as harsh according to the mrs.

Because it gave me a closer shave, I am keen to see how long it takes to grow back to where I normally shave.

Will post up what I got later.

My wife says that the regrowth isn't as harsh as well. I still shave at the same time intervals though. It doesn't itch/irritate as much now that I'm shaving with a safety razor, but it still does irritate to a point.

Edited by pyro

I thought the brush was to lift the hair and kinda gay it up with some exfoliation.

I still don't know if my lather is quite right or not yet because I got a hard soap.

But my Badger brush is softer then I expected from some of the comments I've read on here and other shaving threads

I lasted about 3 days more and yes the re growth came back even, giving the smooth feeling.

Last time was a bad experience, and that is because I trimmed the hair first then shaved, it didn't cut very close and grew back rough. Didn't have time for a 3 way shave also.

My soap is the Windsor shave soap. It smells awesome, but then I use a dermalogica post shave Balm that does not smell so good.

I thought I'd try and find if Windsor do either an aftershave or post shave thing that helps prevent ingrown hairs. But I can't seem to find anything on the net. Any suggestions?

I only have a few ingrown hairs on my neck from shaving with the gilet Mach 3 and they are taking a little while to go down and keep nicking them with the DE shaver.

My shaver and Badger brush are Edwin Jagger. I've only tried shaving with the astra blades so far.

Edited by Fire_Child22

Badger brushes are naturally quite soft, they're not meant to be stiff bristled at all. The point of the brush is to lift the whiskers, get the shave soap under them and create a layer between the whisker and the skin to help the razor glide over. The brush will lightly exfoliate but it's not like taking a loofah to your face.

Lather is a personal thing, some people like a beaten egg white type of lather that will form a solid peak (think of cooking shows when they make meringues/pavlova and turn the bowl upside down) whereas I prefer a good solid lather. I lather on my face rather than a bowl or scuttle, occasionally adding water to the tip of the brush to help build it up.

I also lather on my face. Mainly cause its quicker than using a bowl and easier for me. You get better at it the more you do it.

For the guy that asked about short or long handle, my vote is long handle. Easier transition using a long handle than going to a short handle.

This is the one I have used and I can highly recommend it; very cheap, comes with 2 blades and very sharp but safe cause the razor is light and easy to handle.

http://www.ebay.com....em3a81ae4431&_uhb=1

how do those after shave block things work? I know they can stop bleeding or razor burn, but I'm not doing so bad with my last shave only bleeding in 2 spots and one was a bump from earlier mach 3 shaver.

Do these things replace the aftershave balms?

Do aftershave splash do the same as above?

Sorry for the noob questions as I've never really paid any attention to this before and now want to buy a new aftershave balm (well I thought I did till I went to mensbiz.com) and now i'm confused with what to use and when.

Also, how do you guys go when bringing these on carry on luggage on a plane? I'd rather not go back to the normal razors when I travel somewhere with an overnight bag.

Edited by Fire_Child22

The Col Conk cyptic pencil is simply used to stop bleeding from nicks and cuts. It is not used as an after shave application unless needed. The Conk cyptic pencil stings a fair bit when you put it on and does stop 'most' cuts from bleeding.

After shave balm is used to soothe, nourish and moisturise the skin after shaving. I use this after I shave and it stops the skin from drying out and soothes it after a close shave. You can get scented or unscented. I get unscented as that's what your perfume/fragrance is for (damn this sounds very feminine :lol: ). You can get a Nivea one from Coles to start with to see what it does or go all out and get one of the expensive ones from Mensbiz etc.

I have not travelled since I starting using this. Will do for my new job so will find out in good time - will take a Mach 3 just in case unless someone can advise.

how do those after shave block things work? I know they can stop bleeding or razor burn, but I'm not doing so bad with my last shave only bleeding in 2 spots and one was a bump from earlier mach 3 shaver.

Do these things replace the aftershave balms?

Do aftershave splash do the same as above?

Also, how do you guys go when bringing these on carry on luggage on a plane? I'd rather not go back to the normal razors when I travel somewhere with an overnight bag.

Not sure if you're asking about alum blocks or those shave stick things, but I'll elaborate on alum anyway.

Alum blocks can stop slight bleeding from nics, but not so much razor burn. Best way I've found to get rid of razor burn is prep well and work the lather in really well for about 30sec to a minute. Technique also plays a big part.

They don't replace aftershaves either.

No brand of alum will be better than the other as alum is a chemical compound (potassium alum), so don't think a more expensive brand will be better. I got my block from the UK for $10 as the cheapest I could find in Aus was about $30. I've heard about people getting it for as little as $4 from countries like India. Just ebay it.

My understanding of splash aftershave is that it contains a lot of alcohol and depending on your skin can damage it. I don't need that epic aftershave smell everyday so I haven't used any (might consider Old Spice if it turns me into Terry Crewes). The balms are more of a soother.

I was under the impression you couldn't even get disposable razors on planes anymore?

Edited by _R_J_K_

Can definitely get disposable razors on planes both domestic and international.

So I worked a few things out.

I was lathering up on my face correctly, but worked out how to do it in the bowl properly but prefer my face. I also found that I can do about 3 shaves with the astra blades before they tear up my face. I prefer after shave balms over after shave splashes and like them to be fragrance free or a short lived smell so I can use my own cologne.

I also discovered I love http://www.mensbiz.com.au/ for fast service and for various trail packs.

As I hate shopping, and I especially hate the perfume sections in shops, so do you guys know of any sites that do sample size colognes?

Just got the $130 kit from mensbiz... just awaiting delivery. Cant wait.