Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

First shave went OK.. Need to watch some how to's. Dunno if the red and green proraso are different but this brush seemed to lather better than the one in the $80 kit..

Ok, so results time. (mostly for the noobs and people who are sitting on the fence still)

As a bit of a background, I've always been a bad shaver. I've always had mass ingrowns and horrible irritation. There were times I'd shave and just hours later, was already feeling the itching and irritation again, as though I needed to have another shave. Typically I could stand 2 days between shaves on average, but by the end of that second day I was about to tear my face off. I had tried everything. 2 blade in 3 different brands, 3 blade in 3 different brands, 4 blade in 2 different brands, 5 blades, vibrating, an electric shaver (LOL! NEVER AGAIN!). I've used about 15 different shaving foams, 5 to 10 different shaving gels, different types of soap (shave soap, hand soap, home made soap etc) and even things like olive oil and "Stop Ingrow" (spray on aftershave alcohol/salicylic acid). I shaved in the shower, out of the shower, shower before, shower after, shower before and after, hot and cold compresses in between all of those. You name it, I've tried it and it's not just a case of "try once, didn't work, try something else" I typically tried combinations for a month or more at a time, but absolutely nothing made any long term, noticeable difference. The question when I was shaving was never "will I cut myself today" it was, "will it be 5, 10 or 15 cuts". Shaving against the grain was a no-no. I did it once in my late teens, then never again. Shaving with the grain hurt like hell even.

Enter double edge shaving. I was expecting hell with these, like if the blade slid slightly horizontal, that'd be an inch long slice; hold it on the wrong angle and cut off a patch of skin the size of a matchbox; got moles on your face? Not any more!. I watched a couple of videos by Geofatboy and came to the conclusion that he must be a jedi master, boy was I was wrong. Double edge shaving is dead f**king simple and the results are absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe just how smooth it leaves your face. Unbelievably smooth. My wife comments every time at how soft and smooth my face is now compared to what it was before. It almost feels unnatural. Regrowth is softer. My ingrowns and irritation are slowly fading away. Shaving is no longer something that I dread, it's actually something that I look forward to and it's so cheap!

I bought this kit off ebay (thanks again SRS13 for pointing it out). As soon as I figured out what kind of lather worked best on me, I was away. I remember first hearing the scratching sound of my side burn hair and thinking, "Oh shit, this is going to sting..." but nothing happened. No burning, no cuts, no irritation, no redness. I cut myself where my nose meets my face because I couldn't get the technique right to shave right under my nose, but that was the only part that actually bled. Going over the irritation didn't even really hurt. For the first time in nearly 10 years, I shaved against the grain and it was the very first time I had ever shaved with a double edge.

Now, the majority of my shaves are blood free. Sometimes I nick some of my existing irritation, but as that disappears, so to do the nicks. I love the process of lathering and doing multiple passes, trying new blades, trying new soaps etc. I've come to find that the Astra Superior stainless blades are probably the best mid to upper-ground ground blade and what I would recommend starting with when you first shave. I've tried Asco's and Rorco's, they're both rubbish and feel dull like my old razors. Feather are amazingly sharp, like others have said. Gilette 7'oclock stainless and Big Ben are about the same as Astras, possibly a little duller. I'm still working through my sampler pack, but this is what I've tried so far. At $20 delivered for 55 razors, sampling double edge razors is cheap as hell compared to sampling multiblade shit.

So for anyone who's still sitting on the fence about double edge shaving, I urge you to try it. It barely takes any extra time, it's cheap as hell and it yields results that are a MILLION times better than any multiblade razor you care to mention. I guarantee it.

Nice writeup Pyro, you've convinced me to try it. Just ordered the same set from eBay.

Glad to read of the good results Pyro. Best example of how good DE shaving can be for irritation that I've read to date.

Nice writeup Pyro, you've convinced me to try it. Just ordered the same set from eBay.

You won't regret it mate.

Glad to read of the good results Pyro. Best example of how good DE shaving can be for irritation that I've read to date.

Cheers mate :) To be honest, when I first started reading this thread in my head I was kind of pooh poohing you guys; it all seemed rather extreme. I kind of bought my set on impulse, but f**k I'm glad I did.

lol pooh poohing!

Its great isnt it! Glad the kit is a good one! Its an absolute bargain and I would have bought it if I hadnt bought the other stuff already.

I imagine the razor is quite light so pairing it up with a sharper blade will be better. I found the green gillettes sharper than the Astra - might have to try them again.

I've just started a new job and of course am meeting a bunch of new people so have to shave everyday until I get settled in. With a Mach 3, there is no way I would be able to shave every day as it would irritate me way too much. With the double edge, I am able to shave everyday and it does not hurt a bit. However I only do 2 passes max, with and then across, never against, otherwise the next day the hair would not be long enough. Still it makes shaving so much easier. Also as pyro pointed out, it grows back nicer, not as thick or as hard.

That Feather double edge razor I bought is perfect and 'easy' to use (I linked it in the last page - it was less than $20 delivered). It does not make you feel as though you will slice yourself open! Coupled with a Feather blade its sensational. Funnily enough the yellow feather does not seem as sharp as the black feather blade. Anyone else experience this?

The best part is I can buy 25 black feather blades from EBAY for $9.75 delivered!!! They will last 2-3 shaves so approx 1 week if I shave every 2nd day. So they'll last almost 1/2 a year - not bad for $9.75. Its certainly a good reason to try this out for anyone unsure.

Pyro, i suspect i have similar facial hair to you. You said no to the electric razor. I was planning on getting a decent one next week. What did you not like about them? Did you try them much? I have found inconsistent results with razors, so I was thinking the electric would be more consistant. I have also heard that you need to do it for a while so that your skin can adjust. After your speil, I will definitely be buying a double edge, but due to the quality of your info, I would like to here your thoughts on electric.

Man, I hope you don't have facial hair like mine, for your sake :lol:

In the defense of the electric razor, I've only ever used one and I only tried it a couple of times. But that was because the experience was horrendous. During and after the shave I felt like I had no skin left on my face. The irritation was horrible, the ingrowns afterwards were horrible, the whole experience was shit. A few people have suggested that I should try a different electric, but considering the expense for a decent one, I'm not willing to buy them just to 'try' them and throw them away. If it was a trimmer that left me with stubble all over, it might not be so bad, but it's definitely a case of once bitten twice shy as far as electrics are concerned. Although I had constantly shitty shaves with regular razors, the electric that I tried was a lot worse than any of them.

If you have a way of testing electrics before you buy them, then for sure, give them a shot mate. I just wasn't prepared for the cash outlay for something that had done so horribly the first time around.

Well my $60 safety-razor kit arrived, so I thought I'd try it this morning, after having cultivated a few days of stubble for the sake of science. Didn't bother watching any videos or reading anything about it because I'm such a boss; just popped a dab of Porosso [Green] soap in a small bowl, lathered it up, worked it in, left it to soak for a minute, then shaved as normal. Can't be a pussy about these things.

My comments:

• The angle of the razor takes a little getting used to compared to a 3-blade disposable, as it's easier to get wrong without a flat swivel head, however I didn't have any issues with cuts. If you get it wrong, the domed cap simply runs over your skin and does nothing, hence the name 'Safety Razor'.
  • The extra weight of the razor over a disposable makes it easier to control the glide over the skin when using light pressure, which obviously is what you should be doing, so it's a pleasant bonus. Would like the handle of the razor to be longer, but you can't always have everything you want in life.
  • It doesn't seem to chop down thick/long stubble as hard as a triple-blade, due to the tighter clearance between the blade and chassis. You need a few light passes to graze it down, washing the razor out frequently.
  • You definitely get a finer cut using the single blade when compared to a triple-blade, which makes sense considering how much more narrow the surface area is that tracks over the skin.
  • A quick swish of the razor's head in water and a block of soap/debris pops out, rather than a multi-blade razor that requires tapping of the handle to clear it.
  • Unlike gel soaps, when the lather dries up, just rub on a touch of water and it softens up again, which is most convenient.

So overall, it seems decent. Might try a feather blade next, since I would have liked the Astra to be even sharper. Now I'm probably not the greatest candidate for a success story since I've been known to shave using plain water and still not cut myself, but I think if I can use it for the first time on tough stubble, having done zero research on the process and get a good cut-free shave, most people should be fine.

Pyro, i suspect i have similar facial hair to you. You said no to the electric razor. I was planning on getting a decent one next week. What did you not like about them? Did you try them much? I have found inconsistent results with razors, so I was thinking the electric would be more consistant. I have also heard that you need to do it for a while so that your skin can adjust. After your speil, I will definitely be buying a double edge, but due to the quality of your info, I would like to here your thoughts on electric.

I've had quite a few electric razors, and my old man swears by them. The issue some people have is that they pick the wrong type; my father prefers the three-circle variety which is less harsh on less elastic skin and requires a number of passes, whereas I prefer the single-foil variety, which is more brutal but requires fewer passes. People also fail to replace the foils or heads too, which get blunt over time, resulting in them applying more pressure on the skin to make it work.

Personally I like cordless electric, for the convenience it offers in both cutting thick stubble down to size prior to shaving with a blade, the way in which it's less likely to cut off areas of raised or cut/healing skin, and the fact that if you want you can get a semi-close shave before bed, with just enough follicle left that the pores aren't open to filling with oils over night. Will it get you a closer shave than a blade? No. But it can be used every day with respectable results. Mine is one of the Brawn single-foils with the cleaning/charge station. I primarily use it these days as a before-bed shaver [for when duty calls] or to trim stubble, as I can shave my whole face faster with a blade.

Edited by pmod

Good shit man, once you refine your technique you may find the Astra more comfortable. Other options to look into are getting a Gillette adjustable DE which allows you to change the gap to razor ratio, or a long handled razor.

Interesting, I'll definitely keep those in mind. You are right though; some practise in refining technique is certainly needed for the best results.

So overall, it seems decent. Might try a feather blade next, since I would have liked the Astra to be even sharper. Now I'm probably not the greatest candidate for a success story since I've been known to shave using plain water and still not cut myself, but I think if I can use it for the first time on tough stubble, having done zero research on the process and get a good cut-free shave, most people should be fine.

f**king jealous :lol: There's two types of Astra blades btw, Superior Stainless and Superior Platinum. I'm assuming the Platinum's are sharper than the Stainless', so see which ones you've got.

I've had quite a few electric razors, and my old man swears by them. The issue some people have is that they pick the wrong type; my father prefers the three-circle variety which is less harsh on less elastic skin and requires a number of passes, whereas I prefer the single-foil variety, which is more brutal but requires fewer passes. People also fail to replace the foils or heads too, which get blunt over time, resulting in them applying more pressure on the skin to make it work.

Mine was the single foil variety, which would explain a few things based on what you've just said. I'm not sure how new the replaceable bits were either, so my review is probably not worth a whole lot :lol:

Edited by pyro

Just spotted this on the YouToobs;

I seen this thread a few weeks ago and have been looking at afew de and straight edge razors and stuff on ebay.. last week got a cutthroat off the gfs mum (did appentiship in a barber/hairdressers and had it sitting In the cupboard. Have used it twice now but it kinda feels awkward and its hard to get the contours on my throat.. also hard to keep face moist.. and as with most things it feels much better when moist ; ). Did cut myself once both times but the first time it was my finger because I touched the blade accidentally and it was pretty deep haha.

Got that same kit off eBay linked to earlier (price went up to $60 though damnit). First shave I had my hopes too high. It didn't feel as sharp as I was expecting.

I think it was partly due to my lack of knowledge on creating a good lather from the Proraso soap and partly due to my long whiskers at the time. 4th shave in and I'm getting the hang of it. There really is a fair bit of technique to it. I haven't cut myself yet but I need to learn the grain of my beard more.

At the moment I'm doing 3 passes and it's still not shaving as close as I was hoping.

Is the wieshi razor and Astra blade combo crap??

I'm starting to think I should of spent a bit more money but I was worried I'd get over it and go back to the few days growth (lazy) look.

Got that same kit off eBay linked to earlier (price went up to $60 though damnit). First shave I had my hopes too high. It didn't feel as sharp as I was expecting.

I think it was partly due to my lack of knowledge on creating a good lather from the Proraso soap and partly due to my long whiskers at the time. 4th shave in and I'm getting the hang of it. There really is a fair bit of technique to it. I haven't cut myself yet but I need to learn the grain of my beard more.

At the moment I'm doing 3 passes and it's still not shaving as close as I was hoping.

Is the wieshi razor and Astra blade combo crap??

I'm starting to think I should of spent a bit more money but I was worried I'd get over it and go back to the few days growth (lazy) look.

You've hit the nail on the head with the lather; it's the biggest deciding factor. I find that to get a close shave with the DE from 3 days growth, it's best to start with a slighly thicker lather, then water it down with each pass, the final one being little more than soapy water. I do as many passes as the area warrants, although I take it easy with my chin.

Keep in mind that whilst lubricant is needed for the razor to flow, the thicker the lubricant the thicker the barrier beween the blade and the skin. The reason a multiblade disposable will seem sharper is because the blades are almost completely exposed to the skin, rather than the DE which has a metal bumper above and below the blade.

Astra blades are not that sharp.

Throw a Feather blade in there and it will be a massive difference.

Yeah. I've found that astra is for a day or two's growth. Feather for anything more than that.

Might grab that $130 pack on mensbiz soon.

How long is that 20% off sale supposed to be last for?

I've read up a bit on how to create a proper lather. I realised I had no idea what I was doing. lol.

Shaves are a bit better now (only 1-1.5 days growth) but I'm still doing more than a few passes.

I'll have to try out a blade sampler pack I think.

p.s. the Proraso aftershave is some strong stuff :S

What were you doing before compared to now to create a lather?

It so nice when you get a great lather!!

I've used the Proraso soap again recently and it did not lather any where near as well as the Taylors of Old Bonds cream.

With the blades, the blades are not the only thing that determine the sharpness of the cut, the razor plays a major role. The razor I linked to earlier and the one in the $50 kit on ebay is quite mild so when paired with a mild blade, the shave is not going to be so strong. Put that same blade into an aggresive razor and it will cut much better. So if you have a lightweight cheaper razor, pair it with a sharp blade to get a good result.

Previously I was grabbing a chunk of the soap out of the container and mashing the brush into it. Then trying to work it into a lather with what I now know was way too much water.

Total noob.

I followed the thread on badgerandbrush about how to create a good lather.

I'm keen to try some different soaps etc. this could be an expensive activity. As if drifting didn't cost enough. haha.

Aren't you meant to use the dish the soap comes in if you don't have a shave bowl to create the lather?

Interesting video

but then I got distracted on how donuts, toothpicks and shit were made...

Aren't you meant to use the dish the soap comes in if you don't have a shave bowl to create the lather?

The small containers the soap comes in aren't that great for building a good lather, you're better off 'loading' the brush with soap and building the lather on your face.

^^^^

That's what I do. Works well enough.

I smear a piece of soap on the sidewall of the sink (fairly big sink and I clean the area first) and build the lather there. No reason you have to put it on a horizontal plane.

Interesting video

but then I got distracted on how donuts, toothpicks and shit were made...

I have to actually say out loud now: "NO MORE YOUTUBE!" after I watch the video i intended to watch, otherwise I end up in the same pit :P