Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

Well, I've made the plunge.

Was going to grab the $130 kit from Mensbiz but it sold out so I ended up just picking parts individually.

So at the moment I'm starting with:

Merkur Solingen Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor HD (34C)

Double Edge Blade Sampler Pack (Astra Platinums, Feathers, Derby, Merkur, Personna)

Vulfix Pure Badger Shaving Brush: #849

MenU Shaving cream sample

Proraso Eucalyptus Shaving soap

TOBS Rose shaving cream sample

I have pretty sensitive skin but if Pyro went well, I should be ok :P

MWWAJ4x.jpg

Nice dude, let us know how it goes.

Top stuff!

Will be very interested to hear what you think about the 34c...

I have pretty sensitive skin but if Pyro went well, I should be ok tongue.png

Man, my shave must have been f**king horrible when I met you if you still remember it now, haha!

If you find the Astra's don't quite cut it, but the Feather's are too sharp, give Lord blades a go. I find they're about in the middle and they're now my favourite blade.

Edited by pyro

Gave it a shot yesterday. Decided to start off with the Derby's and found they were pretty good to start off with. I only nicked myself once around the jawline and a couple little specks of blood around the mouth area. I tightened my mouth when I went over the upper lip area but I think when I was doing the inside of my cheeks I probably caught it on the edge. So will have to watch out next time. I used the MenU sample and that had a nice scent and lathered up fairly easily. Just using a spare mug at the moment lol. I found that by the time I'd finished shaving my face, the soap around the neck/jawline area had started to disappear. So either I was going too slow or hadn't applied it thick enough? But I just reapplied some more anyway.

Did two passes, first with the grain and second against. That was enough to give me the baby smooth finish. Skin felt great afterwards, no irritation or dryness which is good as my skin can get dry easily. Had a hot shower before shaving and then washed my face with cold water after I finished to close up the pores.

So overall I'm happy with it. :)

If the soap starts drying i just wet my hands and rup the dry spot till it comes back.

Im happy going with grain and then along grain on face, and against grain on neck

Once your technique improves you'll get quicker so the drying won't be an issue. Your lathering will probably get better at the same time too.

Buying this pack has given me a new found love for all things sandalwood.... on the look out for a good aftershave now.

Semi related - anyone got a decent cologne collection? Im starting to get a few... Got a couple more since this pic

941334_10151558217322964_1946571129_n.jpg

^ I've got a decent collection at the moment. Will try and get a pic up.

Finally my StrawberryNet order arrived that I ordered back on July 25th.

0aXmnw6.jpg

These are the ones I have at the moment.

Got some Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss samples too. I like the Joop ones, tend to use those most of the time. Only got given the David Beckham and CK ones as presents a month back so haven't cracked them open yet.

I have the same CK one added to my collection now too, i really like it. Have that beckham one too and rate it.

I smelled some Versace eros on a card and really liked it too, but the shit is expensive... hopefully grab some on sale.

20130818_184850_zpsbfd2532d.jpg

Some of mine. I got another ck and hugo boss one I use as aftershave.

From back left: usher vip, sean john I am king, ck be, versace blue jeans, davidoff echo, giorgio armani attitude, jay z's rocawear, versace man and ck one

I have Davidoff Echo and Rochas Man and even that feels excessive.

Also just picked up the $130 mensbiz kit.

Had my first shave using the Feather blades and it was great. Had the same issue with drying around the neck like Pervy, will try the water on hand trick next time.

Very happy with the result. Neck bled a little, didn't think I knicked it but must have, other than that, it cut through 2 weeks of growth no worries and without the pulling pain I'm used to with multi-blade razors. With some practice this will be a very worthwhile investment.

Might try running against the grain on the sides of my face next time too, only did down and across this time. Should get rid of any last bits of stubble.

EDIT: I watched this a couple of times and once when I was shaving, very helpful.

Edited by SLY-031

Dont know if anyone has said this, but i will put my 2 cents in.

i find it a lot better if you let the cream that comes in the tubs dry out, i think you guys use "proraso", and when you need to apply it wet the brush and slightly wet the dried shaving cream. lathers better and you go through a lot less then what you would use as a wet solution.

i use Wilkinson sword blades as well, easier and sharper cut.

I use wilkinson too. I find they last longer then my astras.

I apply shaving oil, a layer of shaving milk, then shave.

i find it a lot better if you let the cream that comes in the tubs dry out, i think you guys use "proraso", and when you need to apply it wet the brush and slightly wet the dried shaving cream. lathers better and you go through a lot less then what you would use as a wet solution.

Why not just buy a shave soap rather than a cream and waiting for it to dry out?

I just bought 50 Feather blades for $17.00 delivered. Considering each blade will last a week that is essentially a years worth of blades for $17.00. A 4 pack of Mach 3 blades cost $18.00-$30.00............................................................ and the shaves are so much better. If only I found out about this stuff sooner!

Got them off flea bay - international seller. Arrived in a few days to a week at most. Type in 'feather double blade 50' or whatever number!

One thing that surprised me were the Astra blades. I tried the gillettes (green and yellow) and they struggled with a 3 day growth. The Astra did quite well, not as sharp as feathers but still ok to use.

Going to put together a starter package for my bro in law for his birthday. Sick of seeing him unshaven and then with a shave rash on his neck lol

I could watch this stuff all day.

What, shaving? Didn't think hipsters did that.

If you mean the double-edge razors and Poroso soap, then that's more of a Jew thing. And it works well.

Could just be that people shave with a DE and a brush because it works better than a shitty cartridge or disposable razor. That's why I've been doing it the last 5 years or so.

I don't have an overly hairy face, which is odd due to my woggy genes.

Since I first started shaving I've used the electric approach, however now that I'm older I'm finding that despite brands/models, I'm not getting a nice enough, or close enough shave.

It was only within the last month that I've made the switch to the disposable razor approach and whilst not fancy by any means, I'm already getting a better shave.

After going through this thread, thanks to those who've shared reviews on products and experiences - I'll be looking at making the next step in upcoming months.

^^^ you wont regret it.

Spewing I didnt do this years ago... all those years of dreading shaving, pain and wasted money!!!

Purchased a few shaving bits for family and friends for christmas and have to give a big +1 to Mensbiz.com.au. I placed my order on Monday morning on the bus in the way to work, had an acknowledgement by 9:30 and had the items at my door by 2pm the next day. Other businesses could learn a thing or three from these guys.

Being Christmas and all - got the mrs to get me the $140 kit as a present. Should get here by friday hopefully.

Do you guys have the stand or a box to put all the stuff in so it doesn't get stuffed up?

Edited by i_want_a_180