Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

My brush came with a stand and I have a stand for the soap dish and razor.

I had a stand for my brush, but I left it behind when I went overseas :( I don't have a stand for my other stuff at the moment, but am looking for one to keep everything together :)

Yea might have a look on eBay for a stand for both the razor and brush

Edited by i_want_a_180

stand arrived today. grabbed one from the shave shed for $29 posted. sturdy little stand - was thinking it was possibly going to be a flimsy bit of metal but seems alright.

but here's my kit - purchased the standard wet shaving kit, chose the eucalyptus cream and got given a sample of sandalwood thrown in and had a big arse black mug in the cupboard so i'll be using that for the lathering

Shaving Kit 2.jpg

oh another quick question. do you guys keep the blade in the razor? or take them out each time? i know they've been coated with anti corrosion, just wanted to double check.

Edited by i_want_a_180

I leave mine in... never had any issue with rust, but I rinse with super hot water, shake it well and let it dry on the bench.

I leave the blade in, only get 3-5 shaves out of it so there's no point removing each time. Best practice is to maintain the razor. My DE is nickel plated so I soak it in boiling water with a little vinegar or bi-carb soda and then give it a scrub with an old toothbrush and toothpaste. Comes up a treat afterwards.

Thanks for the tips lads

Edit: Just had my first taste of de shaving - few red specks peppered across my face, mainly along the jaw line - which I think was from my lather on the second pass not being that good, my huge Adam's apple survived unscathed surprisingly as that's where I thought the most damage would be done.

Face burnt like mad after a splash of tea tree oil..

All in all not too shabby - plenty to work on but haha. I do like the cool feeling of the eucalyptus cream after you've made a pass

Edited by i_want_a_180

I also leave the blade in, and rince with hot water before and during the shave. I have seen rust on the blade a few times but never on the tip so i dont care.

That being said, I do shave once every 3 weeks or so, and that would give plenty of time for rust to start forming.

Place the shaver under boiling water while i get my face ready, wipe face with hot water a few times, apply shaving oil, apply shaving milk, shave, apply more shaving milk, shave in a different direction and finish with a few splashes of old spice.

If you havent already, I recommend old spice after shave, burns for a second and then goes cool, and smells good.

I'm sick of neck rash and far from close shaves from Mach 3s, Quattros, etc so tonight I dove in head first to DE shaving and ordered

Muhle R89 Razor

FS Finest badger brush

35 sample blades

Proraso cream and soap

Plus accessories

Will post of my results once they've all arrived!

You wont regret it!

Who has used both after shave lotions and after shave balms? Preferences/main differences? I use a balm but am thinking of trying a lotion.

wow you guys take shaving to another level.

i shave maybe once every 6-8 weeks after i get a haircut because my barber uses a cut throat to do my burns and neck then i go have a shave but i only use electric razor/groomer but have generic Gellete razor for a special occasion which i might bin for a Man Razor...

Whats better the double edge or single and what brands should i be looking for?

Do you guys manscape using the Man Razor? i'd be interested to hear of some horror stories

Funny thing is this is how it used to be done for ages before shitty cartridge razors were invented.

Brands - can't go past the classic Gillette adjustable slim TTO (twist to open) like I posted in the first few pages. Simple, easy to use and has the benefit of being adjustable so you can make it more aggressive as your technique improves.

As for manscaping with a DE, that's pretty keen and could have horrendous results as the blades are so much sharper than your disposable blade. I wouldn't risk it, then again I've seen a bloke cut his perennium with clippers so anything sharp in that region could pose a threat :P

Your mileage may vary, but I've found manscaping to be fine. For me, any more than one pass and the regrowth is an absolute horrendous bitch for some reason. I just use regular soap for manscaping, no brush no nothing, just soap up the area with your hands and shave away. Most showers aren't that well lit, so figure out some way to get some light in there or you'll have patches all over the shop.

I've used Feather, Astra Platinum's and Merkur blades for manscaping and cut myself less than when I'm shaving my face :lol:

Edit:

Only horror story I've got is from the first time I did it. I was so impressed with my face shave that I did my package the very next night. 2 passes later, washed the rest of my body and my balls stung every time soap came anywhere near them. It was so painful for so long afterwards that I spent a bit of time in front of the fan in the buff, holding my sack up so that the fan could provide some cool relief. Of course they got too cool and my sack shrunk, which made everything sting like f**k again. I cut my losses, put my pj's on and tried not to walk around like a cowboy. The good news was that the girl was impressed with the smoothness, therefore, totally worth it B)

Edited by pyro

Hahahahaha - reminds me of the stories of guys using hair removal cream on their sack and date and leaving it on a tad too long

Second shave in - better than the first, nowhere near as much burning afterwards. Only did 2 passes, previous shave did 3 (probably why my face felt like satan had wiped his balls across it)

Less irritation this round which is promising. Next shave will be swapping blades to try and different type

Edited by i_want_a_180

The lather will affect the amount of 'burn' you get!

Guys, lotion or balm???

Guys, lotion or balm???

try both *milkshake*

I don't like balm as it can leave a residue as it dries.

I've just gone to a toner... I don't know how it compares to lotions or balms but I don't get as bad red spots as I did before.

I need to try some of these lotions.... i just spray aftershave on ha. Anyone know of something good in a sandalwood variant?

What is this lotion shit.? Scrape your skin off and put rubbing alcohol on it :)

I don't use any balms, lotions or even aftershave. After the shave it's a hot towel to clean up and then a cold towel to cool the skin. If I'm feeling really knackered from lack of sleep I'll put a towel on ice to use after the shave. Wakes me up everytime because it's a f**king rude shock.

Clippers for manscaping.

Used lotion a few years ago cause my face used to feel like it was on fire after a shave. But made my skin oily and shiny.

Try old spice instead of lotions and see what you think. No more problems since I started using it and I have sensitive skin.

Guys, lotion or balm???

try both *milkshake*

I've just gone to a toner... I don't know how it compares to lotions or balms but I don't get as bad red spots as I did before.

wtf is toner? sounds an awful lot like something to do with makeup.... fag.... :P

Hahahahaha - reminds me of the stories of guys using hair removal cream on their sack and date and leaving it on a tad too long

I've been there as well. Never on my rear, but it makes your nuts sting. The pain was similar to the multiple pass with the double edge, tbh :lol:

Edited by pyro

Any of you guys watch that Embarrassing Bodies show? A bloke on there had pus filled cysts on his nuts from shaving with a razor and irritating the skin too much. Wasn't you was it Pyro? :lol: :lol:

Dont know what toner is! Of course im going to try it but wanted to hear the experiences.

Have used a balm for years now, otherwise skin feels too dry. Will try a lotion and see how it goes.

Seriously who the fark uses a razor to manscape? just asking for trouble!!! Go get a male groomer if you want to do that!!

Guys, lotion or balm???

try both *milkshake*

wtf is toner? sounds an awful lot like something to do with makeup.... fag.... tongue.png

I've been there as well. Never on my rear, but it makes your nuts sting. The pain was similar to the multiple pass with the double edge, tbh laugh.png

oh that's the line? ohh a toner!

I didn't know what the f**k any of this shit was before I met my g/f, then still didn't until I started shaving with a DE shaver.

Basically a Toner is what you put on your face after using a cleanser (face wash) post shower that keeps the pores clean while they close up.

I wash my face daily with the cleanser, once a week with a scrub then use a toner post shower every day. It's really helped me control my ache around my face and neck... I have weeks go by where I only have one or two pimples showing up... much better then always having half my face covered like it was before.

Most after shave lotions are just a toner anyway, but often contain more alcohol that causes that stinging feeling. But toners don't seem to dry the skin as much as lotions do. Balms often have an inbuilt moisturiser... I have another moisturiser that I use sometimes when I feel I need it as I don't like the feeling they leave afterwards.

Any of you guys watch that Embarrassing Bodies show? A bloke on there had pus filled cysts on his nuts from shaving with a razor and irritating the skin too much. Wasn't you was it Pyro? laugh.pnglaugh.png

Hahahaha! Nah, definitely wasn't me :P f**k he must have done some damage to get cysts happening though!

wtf is toner? sounds an awful lot like something to do with makeup.... fag.... :P

well the definitive line is when you've got your cock in another man's arse, but i think if we're talking makeup in a shaving thread, perhaps that conversation isn't far off :P

Any of you guys watch that Embarrassing Bodies show? A bloke on there had pus filled cysts on his nuts from shaving with a razor and irritating the skin too much. Wasn't you was it Pyro? :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha! Nah, definitely wasn't me tongue.png f**k he must have done some damage to get cysts happening though!

wtf is toner? sounds an awful lot like something to do with makeup.... fag.... tongue.png

well the definitive line is when you've got your cock in another man's arse, but i think if we're talking makeup in a shaving thread, perhaps that conversation isn't far off tongue.png

you free tonight? :wub:

• Upvote 1

I dunno if you noticed, but I, uhhhh, one upped your post ;)

• Upvote 1

only just read this thread yesterday. now i want to have a go at this double edge razor! whats the deal with the '"open comb" vs "straight bar" types?

what kind of razor would you recommend to a newby who has fairly big hands and light-medium facial hair density?