Sign in to follow this  
CroS13

moving from disposable razors to a "mans" razor

So my trusty Gillette multi-blade now has a new home in the bin.

Have a super cheap eBay special razor, and some Astra superior blades. Used a DaVinci cream and a cheapy boar bristle brush. Super happy with the results! Had bulk issues with irritation and rashes shaving with multi-blade razors, no such trouble with the DE. 16 hours after a shave and my face feels great, normally by now I'd have a couple red bumps and be incredibly itchy. Even using pressure pack shaving foam I was pretty specific with lather and technique, it's so much easier now.

Did need to use old mate styptic pencil once though. Ha.

Have some Proraso and Harris Arlington creams along with a blade sample pack on the way. Pretty keen.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the club man! Feels good hey :D

I found the Proraso cream to make a very good lather that lasts for ages before drying out. My wife wasn't overly keen on the 'old man' smell though. There's way more stuff for DE's than you think though, so enjoy experimenting :)

I found the Proraso cream to make a very good lather that lasts for ages before drying out. My wife wasn't overly keen on the 'old man' smell though. There's way more stuff for DE's than you think though, so enjoy experimenting smile.png

I don't use the Poroso aftershave balm all that much, but the smell of the Poroso soap is delicious. So good.

only just read this thread yesterday. now i want to have a go at this double edge razor! whats the deal with the '"open comb" vs "straight bar" types?

what kind of razor would you recommend to a newby who has fairly big hands and light-medium facial hair density?

Open comb is supposedly a little more manoeuvrable and some people suggest they can be more aggressive.

I always recommend a Gillette slim adjustable razor to people as you can adjust the aggressiveness of the shave as your technique gets better. They're also a twist to open (TTO) so look really cool too :). Pretty easy to find for sale on various shaving forums and ebay, though the price is starting to rise thanks to the resurgence of classic shaving.

Have a hunt around a few antique shops, they're usually cheaper than ebay + freight.

I found the Proraso cream to make a very good lather that lasts for ages before drying out. My wife wasn't overly keen on the 'old man' smell though. There's way more stuff for DE's than you think though, so enjoy experimenting :)

I don't use the Poroso aftershave balm all that much, but the smell of the Poroso soap is delicious. So good.

haha, it was the soap that i was referring to as old man smell :P The aftershave balm didn't bother that much :P

Anyone looking for a lathering bowl, found this at the local target. Bloody cheap at $4 for those wanting a cheap alternative to the bowls sold at shaver shops - obviously not as cheap as lathering on the face but if you're after a bowl I'd mosey down to target and see if they've got something similar.

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got a chance to try my Dr Harris Arlington almond soap today. Pretty pricey stuff at ~$50 for 100g in a mahogany bowl. But refills are quite a bit cheaper.

Anyways, super happy with it.

Smells real damn nice.

Builds into a rich, thick lather with very little effort, and stays soft and moist on your face for as long as you like.

Highly recommended.

First cut throat shave today, didn't cut my throat! I'd call that a success.

Did nick myself something fierce a couple times, styptic pencil proved its worth.

Takes a lot of care to get it right, definitely need go work on my technique a bit.

• Upvote 1

So 4-5 shaves in now, basically testing each blade with each new shave.

Not too many nicks or cuts, hot towel after to wipe clean, tea tree oil to clean then cold washer to cool everything down.

Favorite blade thus far - feather blades, get the nice smooth face after a 3 pass.

• Upvote 1

+1 for Feather! My ebay order for 100 feather blades just came through today. I normally shave every second or third day, so this is almost a years worth of shaving for $30 if I only use each blade once :D

• Upvote 1

So 4-5 shaves in now, basically testing each blade with each new shave.

Not too many nicks or cuts, hot towel after to wipe clean, tea tree oil to clean then cold washer to cool everything down.

Favorite blade thus far - feather blades, get the nice smooth face after a 3 pass.

I'm finding the feather blades best as well.

The astra blades have given me the worst cuts, where the feather blades have not seriously cut me yet. I think they are just slightly more flexible/forgiving while still giving a quality shave.

For me so far, it's been:

1. Feather
  2. Lord
  3. Astra

Everything under that has been real grabby and I tend to find that I cut myself more when the razor is grabby. The thing that I love most about Feather blades is that sometimes it's like you're just wiping the hair off. There's barely any/no friction at all. That's why I bought so many of them. I might grab a 20 pack of Lords to break it up a little and to see if they're as good the second time around. Has anyone else used Lord blades? Haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on them, so not sure if I fluked the 5 blade sampler or not :)

Didn't get any lord blades in my sample. Looking into the bigger sample packs on eBay (with the Gillette, Big Ben, shark blades etc) just to try out differnt blades.

Mine came with mekur, feather, persona, Astra & derby. Yet to try derby

The $30/100 feather blades sounds good, makes it shitloads cheaper than the cartridges. Makes you wonder how the f**kers can charge so much for the multi blade replacements

To be fair though, DE blades are significantly less complicated to manufacturer than a multi-blade replacement head, or a diposable razor. I completely agree that the multiblade cartridges are well overpriced for what they are, but I suspect that is partially attributed to supply and demand. More folks use disposables than cartridges, and women tend to favour disposable razors too.

In contrast, DE blades are simply a pressed and sharpened plate of steel (I've seen the manufacturing video), and are sold all over the world. The price-point can be a lot better.

thought i would give my 2c worth, after reading this thread when it first started, i thought htere has to be a better way then getting in growns and pimples on my neck every shave!

so after peaking my interest i googled how to shave with one, and have come up with a 2 with the grain passes and 1 against, not ideal but it works!

so i dove in, got me a edwin jagger DE89L and some Truefitt and Hill Luxury Shaving soap (recommend this, its tripple milled soap and is a delight to shave with, just its a bitch to mix up every time, but its part and parcel with moveing to a better shave!

even the mrs said its better than any of the pressurepacked shaving soaps out there.

i have some shaving company shave gell and it goes alright also.

some blades i have tried and in order as follows.

1. persona plats red - so smooth (only just bought these)

2. lord plats (what i started out with and work good, prety forgiving and did justice to de shaving for me.)

i have tried feather - cuts my neck to shit and back again when i go against the grain, so i dont use it.

the rubbish ones are as follows for my beard / bumfluff

astra - terrible

derby - worse then astra

asco - same as astra

gillet blue - cuts and nicks,

treet - average

shark - average

** the above blades i tried whilst learning to DE shave, so they probably work ok nowadays, but CBF lol

im yet to try the st300 and st301

and crystal super plats

i bought my gear from

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk

its cheaper than aus and us prices, however royal mail licks big f**king balls. i cannot believe how slow they are!

i also the below just recently for more blade sample packs, cant complain and its an aussie company ! fast service, and had everything in stock

http://www.kineticblue.com.au/

i am glad i have moved to de shaving, much nicer and shaving, it takes a little longer but results are a lot better!!

oh and not to mention cost,

all up i have spent about 150$ in the last 8 months or so. most of that was the razor and E.J. best badger brush (get one its worth it lol) ;)

and at nearly $40 a pop for 5 blade disposables, im almost / already in front !

just my 2c, hope it helps someone else ;)

Edited by n0nac-S15
  • Upvote 1

My brother bought me a safety razor, badger brush, derby blades, pre shave and shAve soap for Christmas and it just came a few weeks ago (had delays coming from Murica)

Used it for the second time yesterday, so good!

I was pretty sketched out by it at first like worried I was going to cut my face up, but first time I used it it was a breeze, did 2 passes and it's come up pretty smooth.

Trying to recommend all my friends to start using double edges instead of normal razors now, I look forward to shaving again ^.^

Also I find it easier to shape things like beards, goates, side burns etc with these rather than the 3 blade razors

Although I kept my disposable one for my dick and balls

And kept my electric one for my head

DE isn't going near either of those

Don't be afraid! The ladies like smoothness ;)

• Upvote 1

Yeah after the first one I was like mm this isn't scary at all, I don't really have any moles and don't generally get pimples or anything so no unexpected cuts that way...

Also I still leave my little gringo beard ^.^

Edited by Johno333

Anyone looking for a lathering bowl, found this at the local target. Bloody cheap at $4 for those wanting a cheap alternative to the bowls sold at shaver shops - obviously not as cheap as lathering on the face but if you're after a bowl I'd mosey down to target and see if they've got something similar.

Cheers for posting that, I picked up one today and it was only $2.80 as Target is having a 30% off homewares sale. It looks like a good size and has a great base for holding onto.