Sign in to follow this  
1200ute

New T28 framed Garrett GTX-R turbos

GCG recommeneds the 0.86 housing if your using an external wastegate and a good quality manifold, as the 0.64 can choke the tubo?

Neither, there over priced glammed up bolt on turbos do f**k all more than the original ones just more expensive.

Partially correct, mine does spool slightly better than a GT2871R with my setup but you really need to push some decent boost through it to make it stand out. The GTX compressors have a beautiful spool / flutter noise too (yeah, worth the extra $400 alone hah). Otherwise it's much like the GT series. Some places charge ALOT for housings though which is a deterrent and you need to weigh in the benefits. GT will do most of what a GTX does though so for tight budget setups, the GTX is overpriced.

The GTX2863R should take 24-25 PSI (starting to trail off the map at 25) but an 0.86 A/R is needed. I'm hoping to hit around 21-22 PSI soon and hold 20 hopefully, fingers crossed I'll hit 260rwkw if my 0.64 rear housing allows me. I'll leave it there since I'm running the stock S15 box (circlip modded) and bottom block. In this hills / track I'll drop it down to 245 - 250 rwkw.

The GTX2867R will take longer to spool but once it makes boost it will ramp up with a bit more power (not quite as progressive).

Personally if I wanted a killer street setup, I would go with a GTX2860RS (400 hp) turbo with an 0.86 A/R. It would spool much like a disco 0.86 with more power up top. It trails off at 420 hp too but heat may prevent 420hp figures at the fly as they need 30 PSI boost! 22 PSI would hit 400 hp at the fly looking at the comp map though which is pretty much where I'm at but with 20 PSI dropping to 17 PSI on mine.

Saad - It depends on how you want the power delivered. Smaller compressors with larger turbines will create good repsonsive and good low rpm torque setups. Larger compressors with smaller turbines will create more punchy mid-range to higher range torque and higher power figures with more ramp (less progression). Keep in mind also that power isn't everything.

So I'm after a driveable setup that can do well at the track and drifting, at the street, and runs down macquarie pass.

I haven't considered the gtx2860RS as it seems a bit of a waste to run what is essentially a disco on a built motor. The next size up should spool as quickly as a disco.

Someone who has a GTX2867RS with a tial housing reckons they come on as quickly as a stock T28, when you use an external wastegate, so thats what made me consider that.

You're right power isn't everything and Im not building a dyno queen either!

I dont want to run more than 22 PSI, as that would mean getting a 3 bar map sensor for the haltech which I dont wanna do at this stage.

How much power should the GTX2863 with a 0.86 housing make? Will it be a nice and responsive setup? And compared to the GTX2867?

The guy who recommended the GTX2867 said for a build motor its perfect, and he seems to know his stuff!

Ok, a built motor? Is it just cams and what cams are they?

If the block has been forged too then these small frame turbos are a waste of time. You would be better off looking into a twin scroll GTX3071R setup if your budget allows it. GT3071R would be a great budget performer too. But yes, you would need to change your map sensor too.

E85 should be considered if your pump and injectors allowed for it along with your ECU.

As for the GTX2867R, you would make about 450hp @ the fly at 22 PSI according to the compressor map and it would ramp on more which isn't ideal for grip / circuit. You would make a more responsive and better low-mid range punch on 22 PSI with only 30hp less at 420hp going by the map.

You will need to decide where its strength will be, high RPM power for track or closer to mid-high for street / sprited runs. Of course, if it's a built motor then in most cases the setup mentioned earlier would be preferred if affordable.

The other guy is probably moreso going by your power goal and while they are still responsive (GTX2867R), they GTX3071R twin scroll would be as responsive if not as good with more power potential because of the twinscroll and well-balanced wheel matching of the compressor and turbine unlike the GTX2867R. It's not a bad turbo and it's still balanced within reason but it's not as well done as the 3071R.

All comes down to $$$ though of course.

Interesting. Turbo choice is harder than wheels! And then there are so many other variable to consider to, like the tuner, injector intercooler etc.

My intercooled is mid moutned with short plumpbing, I switched back to stock intake manifold for response, and am using 1000cc injectors - no E85 at this stage, but thats on the cards.

"As for the GTX2867R, you would make about 450hp @ the fly at 22 PSI according to the compressor map and it would ramp on more which isn't ideal for grip / circuit. You would make a more responsive and better low-mid range punch on 22 PSI with only 30hp less at 420hp going by the map"

Which turbo you talking about here - gt2860 or 63?

Interesting. Turbo choice is harder than wheels! And then there are so many other variable to consider to, like the tuner, injector intercooler etc. My intercooled is mid moutned with short plumpbing, I switched back to stock intake manifold for response, and am using 1000cc injectors - no E85 at this stage, but thats on the cards. "As for the GTX2867R, you would make about 450hp @ the fly at 22 PSI according to the compressor map and it would ramp on more which isn't ideal for grip / circuit. You would make a more responsive and better low-mid range punch on 22 PSI with only 30hp less at 420hp going by the map" Which turbo you talking about here - gt2860 or 63?

The 420hp @ 22PSI is the GTX2863R. The GTX2860R would hit about 395hp @ 22 PSI, all going by the compressor maps. As long as all the usual bolt-ons are installed, working and done correctly.

What cams are you running and what has been done to the engine?

As for the stock intake, if you're referring to the intake into the turbo (not the intake manifold for air to fuel but the piece that goes from the airbox / pod to the turbo) then REMOVE IT! You will not hit much over 200 rwkw. They are VERY restrictive, get a 3" metal intake with a heatshielded or boxed K&N POD. You'll get mad flutters too.

There is quite a bit involved in turbo selection with more variety than a bachelor at a hen's night. It's good to know what is the best turbo for your appplication so you know what you're buying.

LOL of course i wasn't referring to the stock air intake - the intake manifold lol!

Forged rods and pistons, tome poncams, new valve springs, and the usual stuff with rebuilding an engine, but the head hasnt been ported or anything

I went the 2863,very punchy midrange and decent top end.it will wheel spin just accelerating in 2nd after 3000rpm as a indication.

s14a, big cooler,haltech (deleted airflow meter), profec b, 740cc, jap off the shelf silent exhaust,walbro pump.

224 atw kws with 18s on.

forgot to mention mines the .64 rear housing. the graph might help show how the turbo performsIMG_1970.JPG

LOL of course i wasn't referring to the stock air intake - the intake manifold lol! Forged rods and pistons, tome poncams, new valve springs, and the usual stuff with rebuilding an engine, but the head hasnt been ported or anything

In that case, checkout the twinscroll GTX3071R. I would say get a twinscroll EFR 7064 or 7670 but they are known to have their turbine wheels fly off on high boost because of poor quality fabrication, they are having problems finding a cheap location to fabricate and provide decent quality turbos!

@ The Situation - Definitely get cams, Tomei PONCAMS would suit that setup nicely but best with valvesprings done too. Worth the cams any day and you'll likely make more power than me. I'm dropping my Profec B Spec II in favour of an Eboost Street (I was considering Eboost2 but a lot of wank on it that I won't use!).

Yeh,I was only considering the poncams as well as springs. Also thinking il get the haltech to do boost instead of the profec b.

Im confident enough that just cams/retune will let it hit 250...

S13 with S15 SR20DET

Nistune

BC Stage 2 cams/springs/retainers

Z32

740cc injectors

Greddy dual solenoid boost controller

Std Airbox

3" loud as shit exhaust

Walbro fuel pump (from memory)

ARC sidemount intercooler, std crossover pipe (stock as officer!)

Dud pump 98RON fuel, was sitting in tank for a while

221rwkw on said dud fuel. Started to ping.

Supposedly would have got 230rwkw if the fuel wasnt shite.

Little less power than those above but keep in mind this is without a FMIC.......its got torque right down low...and gets up the revs very very quickly....

Edited by CraZeeE

IMO step 2s better with 2867, ur coming on boost pretty late and might as well just swap 2867 and make more power

You can sell me the 2863 if ya want :P

IMO step 2s better with 2867, ur coming on boost pretty late and might as well just swap 2867 and make more power

You can sell me the 2863 if ya want tongue.png

BC step 2 cams on a GTX2863R? Crazee, I hope you're at LEAST using an 0.86 A/R - rear housing on the turbo? Otherwise you're choking the motor as there is a bottleneck of flow. Ideally, running a GT(X)3071R 0.64 would be best for those cams (unless you have budget limitations?)

With the setup you should be hitting at least 270+ rwkw 98 on high boost (24-25 PSI). 0.86 will porbably give you full boost just after 4k RPM but great torque down low and up top.

You can sell me the 2863 if ya want :P

BC step 2 cams on a GTX2863R? Crazee, I hope you're at LEAST using an 0.86 A/R - rear housing on the turbo? Otherwise you're choking the motor as there is a bottleneck of flow. Ideally, running a GT(X)3071R 0.64 would be best for those cams (unless you have budget limitations?)

With the setup you should be hitting at least 270+ rwkw 98 on high boost (24-25 PSI). 0.86 will porbably give you full boost just after 4k RPM but great torque down low and up top.

25 PSI ON 98?

If I needed to replace my t2871r, and preferred not to have to do a retune which one would I be going for?

gtx2863r?

You can sell me the 2863 if ya want tongue.png

25 PSI ON 98?

Yeah...BUT that's right on the edge of the map. Garrett have been known to under-rate their turbos so I've been told by a tuner but I'm not going to recommend pushing 25 PSI on the small frame turbo even with an 0.86 A/R. If temps are safe then you MAY get away with it.

what about the GTX3067R

Laggier for power and slight loss of progression in power curve = slightly more ramp. Probably not enough ramp to make you wish you got the 3071 though unless you're goal is time attack or circuit.

If I needed to replace my t2871r, and preferred not to have to do a retune which one would I be going for?

gtx2863r?

Almost, the GT2867R would be a closer wheel match but they do generate more power but spool closer to that of the GT2871R. Not a lot between the GTX2863R and GTX2867R really. You will definitely need a retune but not much to it and naturally, up the boost too.

UPDATE:

Going for an E85 tune in a about 6 weeks.

My 740cc injectors will be almost a maximum duty cycle so I will be purchasing a Turbosmart FPR 1200v2. I may increase the fuel pressure a litte, but at least allow more volume for the same pressure.

My next restriction would be my smaller 0.64 A/R compared to the 0.86 A/R. I'll try it and hopefully I can nail 270-280 rwkw. I'll just beware not to drive hard with such grippy tires when pushing that much on the 6 speed box.

Thanks for all your info Ruff_Ryda :thumb:

With your setup do you feel the 0.64 A/R is a bit to responsive for the street or works well as I am torn between running the 0.86 A/R on the 2863 or just going up to the 2867 with the 0.64 A/R for a street setup

Thanks

Edited by mik5082