Sign in to follow this  
-SYK-

Cracked Rear Rotor Questions.

So the passenger side rear rotor has developed a crack that has progressed halfway through the radius of the rotor (from midway to external circumference). Rotor still has plenty of life (+50%) and has had only one track day (mallala) as a stressful environment; otherwise has only seen daily/epic country driving during its life.

Soooo:

A.) After careful monitoring and near brake-free driving over 150k's (country/metro combined) the crack has not progressed, the first possible day i can get it fixed would be a wednesday 3 days from now, still ok to drive (will likely need to cover another 250k's before wednesday)?

B.) Does the manufacturer bear any responsibility for what i see as a defective product? its the 3rd set i've owned and have run all the others to the end of their life without issue.

Regardless i'm going to send the product back to them for their own quality assessment. :cursing:

Edited by -SYK-

a) the crack wil get bigger, you wil be fine to drive the car, it will get bigger if they get really hot and after a few thous km.

B) once you mention track day they will say no, when it comes to brake pads shit ones they wont cover shit if anything goes wrong, but bendix will. dont know about rotars

Cailpers are dragging. I drove on crackes dba's for a while with out any problems. Its a hair line crack correct ?

yea its a hairline

i'll keep an eye on it, but i'm switching back to flats/non-slotted for the rears. The effort of getting it fixed is already more than i would like without the cost of bad value parts

i'd omit mentioning track day, but that goes against me honest streak :(

You didn't happen to pull the handbrake up back in the pits after a few hot laps at ur trackday did you? This leaves the extremely hot pads in contact with the rotor causing cracks.

The rears are a solid thin rotor, expect them to crack like this on a track car. It is due to the massaive amount of heat and lack of air flow. Not a faulty item at all.

You will have no hope with warranty, they will be able to see the metal has reached high temps which led to the crack.

B.) Does the manufacturer bear any responsibility for what i see as a defective product? its the 3rd set i've owned and have run all the others to the end of their life without issue.

No the product has served it's intended use and purpose. The manufactures have no legal obligation, however the sellers (which might be the manufactures) could accept a warranty claim.

You didn't happen to pull the handbrake up back in the pits after a few hot laps at ur trackday did you? This leaves the extremely hot pads in contact with the rotor causing cracks.

I Fail :ph34r:

I Fail :ph34r:

ROFL. Lesson learnt then. Cool down laps + put car in gear, no hand break and u will be sweet.

yea did 2 cooldown laps min after every bout

but the handbrake thing is one to know

neways, thanks for replies, car will be restored to functional as of tomorrow :D